Come grow with me by HCG (week 4 and on)

@Countryboyjvd1971 I would give my eyetooth for a syrup tree. Maple is one of my favorite flavors! Dang I have a great orange tree you have maple trees and I also am a diabetic! Go figure! I allow myself one orange a day, I squeeze it and make small ice cubes so it lasts longer. Some days I just want to go and squeeze the whole dang tree! :woman_farmer:t4:

3 Likes

If we could only make a dral lol @highcountrygal
Yeah my wife does allow herself to devate from her diet a little but does try to be good
Lots of temptation out there as your well aware of lol
It time consuming but worth it i think ill get all the needed material for sap collection

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 For sure get collecting! Just think all your xmas gifts would be solved! I call diabetes the disease of deprivation! It’s so easy to cheat and so miserable when you do!

2 Likes

Lol yeah i feel bad for all of you that suffer from it
At least she doesnt force me to eat the same diet she needs to lol ok that sounds a little selfish but hey im being honest lol
I will get my stuff ready soring is coming soon so i can get sap on the way up and in fall on the way down
My property has mostly maples on it i have just iver two and a half acers so woohoo :raised_hands: lol

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 @FreakyDeekie @Hogmaster @merlin44 @mulegal @AmnesiaHaze @Covertgrower @Countryboyjvd1971 and everyone else
Another San Diego winter day overcast with shorts! It’s midweek of week 5. Gals have stayed in the green house mostly this week with the door open during the day. It’s far out (remember ?) to get up in the cold morning and look out to see a steamy little nursery. So far so good with growing they are getting bigger!

Now all of you check this gadget out! I have no feeling in my hands so I am always dropping stuff or because I can’t feel it don’t realize I’ve dropped anything. This is a big problem when I smoke J’s because I tend to squeeze them to death and they get bent etc. This little thing allows you to type, play games etc. Small things can bring such pleasure!

Cigarette Finger Holder Amazon.com

And lastly I transplanted my 6 Shishito peppers into gal pots, not at all giving any thought as to where I am going to put them! LMAO Per usual I sometimes wonder if I think backwards

Compare these guys to 4 days ago.

![P1010009|668x500](upload://6Tt9p4jLaN9gvqQpYUSGUzOerEa.JPG)

Weather Factoid: Predicting Rain If the barometric pressure is falling rapidly, a ring around the moon means rain in 18 to 24 hours, about 75% of the time. “Never Trust a Calm Dog”

Ever wonder why there are so many Eucalyptus trees in California? In the 1800’s when railroads were being built, Australia was noted for having these beautiful straight trees that would make exceptional railroad ties. The Eucalyptus trees were brought to Ca. by the railway companies, planted and grown. All were so excited an answer to their prayers. When they began to cut these self made ‘ties’ their joy quickly went to disappointment, rather than the beautifully straight ties, they found that Eucalyptus trees grew their trunks in a spiral and therefore rendered them useless. And that is why California is Eucalyptus tree rich.:woman_farmer:t4: :herb:

9 Likes

My understanding is that it has something to do with being in the Northern Hemisphere. Coriolis force? Aussie attitude? Who knows? We have 'em all over up here.

Several years ago a community up north (Nipomo) had a construction boom and two of the guys I shot Sporting Clays with had the contract to remove 10,000 plus Eucalyptus trees. After the job was completed the city found the water table went up 100 feet!

2 Likes

@dragon269 Pepper update for you!

You have a nice grow going @highcountrygal , will be right behind you if all goes well.

Watching them grow is habit forming…:wink:

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 OMG there are so many in San Diego Co. everywhere. I actually like them esp. the rainbow barked ones and of course the gums (did I just describe a dog?). The one down side to them is they are so shallow rooted and we get those Santa Ana winds after many years of drought mixed with San Diego’s decomposed granite (DG) they become torches in wild fires and are easily blown down. Thank god there are Panda bears at the San Diego Zoo!!! :woman_farmer:t4::panda_face:

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 My husband got me a Meyer lemon tree in honor of my mom after she passed and I keep it inside in a pot in a sunny area in later fall/winter. But come spring and summer it’s outside. It always goes through a little shock when I bring it in but it’s growing well. I bet you could do an avocado without issue. But like @Myfriendis410 said get a plant don’t start it yourself.

@highcountrygal what an inspiration you are. You don’t let anything stop you. Your yard is beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us.

3 Likes

@AnneBonny Wow thank you so much! I don’t really feel like an inspiration. If I let things stop me I don’t think I would be here. My love of gardening pulled me through chemo, bladder cancer and a broken hip! It just bothered me enough to get well so I could fix what was unfixed, my brother who is not a gardener at all took care of my yard. If I sit still for long I get into ‘trouble’. :woman_farmer:t4:

1 Like

@AnneBonny I forgot that lemon tree is a Meyers Lemon tree. Usually it has so many gigantic lemons on it but I had to rim it so it looks sparse. The crop on there now is the 2nd (?) crop from this year. They are so sweet I just peel um and eat um with a little salt. I make ice cubes with them and use those through out the year. They are a cross between an orange and a lemon. :woman_farmer:t4:

4 Likes

Your plants look great. Far Out! @highcountrygal Getting visibly greener each posting… Nice job. And the peppers have doubled+.

How cold has it been getting at night? Any heat source other than the sun warmed soil in the pots? There was ice on the dog’s water bowl on the deck this morning…brrrrrrrr

There are clusters of Eucalyptus trees here and there, up here. Definitely were farmed and then abandoned…Never knew their history.

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 I think humidity is necessary for avocados. Winter might be a problem in that department.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 @Countryboyjvd1971 Avocados are grown in masse in San Diego and humidity is not really an issue, they are also grown in Mexico. I don’t think they tolerate freezing weather. Sorta like citrus, our foothills are covered with both. :woman_farmer:t4:

@merlin44 It will go well for you! Without a doubt. As much excitement, anticipation and joy you have will carry through. You love them and they will love you back! And thank you! I do not know what to expect now as this is new to me. :woman_farmer:t4:

@mulegal It’s been around 45’ up, but I see it’s supposed to get colder later this week. No other heat source and it gets warm and toasty and moist inside when zipped up, even when cloudy outside. I love it. I would like it to be twice the size with sturdier shelves. :woman_farmer:t4:

1 Like

Hey heres mine
It doesnt have shelves but you could build them
Its 8 foot at peak and 10x9 foot
I liked it so much i bought 2 lol
Happy growing peeps :v:

7 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 Hah! I am jealous but then again more plants more work! I do grow orchids, bromilliads and air plants. I love to go to stores like after mother’s day and get as many left over orchids as I can at 1/2 price, or to the clearance plants and bring um home and revive them. Beautiful back yard! I just looked out and there they are in their warm little house, it’s almost like their own weather! :woman_farmer:t4:

2 Likes

Good mornin’! My turn to ask a question. What do I do next with my winter grow? They are still just getting taller and starting to fill out. I know I don’t pinch my summer girls but oh heck help?

1 Like