Collaboration, your input welcomed

Hello everyone, hope this finds you as high as me. I am putting together a new grow tent and would like you guys input on equipment. I have a vivosun 60x32x80 tent that I have ordered because it fits the area I have. I already have a 36x36x72 with a Mars tsw2000 led light. I am currently using soil but I am wanting to transition to coco, but that is down the road, I’m still getting the hang of soil. I am thinking that I am gonna need a 3000 series light, but I would love the input. I am currently looking at BESTVA led ce3000 and the mars ts3000. I have looked at hlg but not sure which one for this tent.
The other equipment I am looking at is an 8 in vivosun exhaust fan, a humidifier nothing decided on, and cooling.
So, whatcha got for me? Help me build my next grow tent.

1 Like

Sounds like you got the goods you need on the list already! I would look at a DIY on a strip or QB build for lights is the only thing I would change.

2 Likes

strip / Qb build? Could you shed some light on that, yes I meant the pun lol

1 Like

There is all kinds of stuff, You can do a search on Google or you can find a lot of stuff right here just use the search at top right corner! Try Growers lights, Horticulture Lighting Group and more. You can bye preassembled, Kits, and also components to build your own

Really, I wouldn’t know where to begin. I’ve looked at some of hlg but it’s a little more than I’m looking to pay at the moment.

@BigCountry74 I don’t know shit about building an led either but I’m lookin to add some to my setup and in my search I found this site. Maybe it will help you out I think I learned a little bit about em. I think I’m gonna stick with a light with a good warranty mainly because I’m OCD and can’t have another different light in my room… good luck

1 Like

There are some decent lights for the money you can do a 30x30" 240 W with QB-132s for about 250-275 (depending on your supply of ALU. for frames) and you are not far off the $ plus you get top notch components! If you can wire a 3 prong plug, use a tape measure and a drill you can probably build one I built the five you see here

I looked at the Mars lights you listed, and I am sure they will grow weed, so whatever you decide. If you need help just @ someone

2 Likes

I was kinda nervous about diy because the searching I was doing I could not figure out if I would need to solider ( I know I’m not spelling that right) or not. I’m not good with a soldering iron. I can handle what you mention, but when I search for diy grow lights all I find is hlg kits. Here are a few questions I have:

What type of board should I look for, quantum?
What is the best heat sink?
How many boards I’ll I need for a 5’x3’x80”?

I’ve decided that if I buy a kit I would get the HLG 600w QB288, but if I could build one like it cheaper I would definitely look into it.

1 Like

Are you going to use light to veg and flower with? HLG 600 would be overkill for that tent but you can turn it down, 5X5 tent maybe? You can use Wago connectors or even wire nuts taped up good, you can solder if you like, definitely a better connection! 4x288 +heatsink+driver=$630.00+shipping! Still need hangers,chord, wire ,wagos? and frame and hardware!

2 Likes

I am liking the idea, but a kit would run close to the same price.
You think the 600 would be over kill? Then I am totally lost lol.

1 Like

Their site says it will flower a 5x5 and veg a 6x7, like I said you can turn it down …I think? Not sure how the Inventronics drivers are set up, but @dbrn32 probably does, can you help out a fellow grower by educating us man?

That is why I priced it out :grin:+you got everything you need!

Nope…probably just high!

2 Likes

Imo for a 5’ tent would be ideal to get a longer fixture. Something shaped more like qb 320xl kit.

If you go diy, you can certainly use solderless components. Most of them are by default, so I wouldn’t use soldering as deterrent. Samsung and bridgelux both make 1120mm strips you could use. Or any of the 560mm strips end to end. May even make sense to just build two different fixtures using the 560mm strips, then they would also be interchangeable with your 3x3.

2 Likes

I thought I recognized that name @dbrn32, I have been searching for DIY kits but all I can find are HLG, which isn’t what I was really looking for. I was trying to find the different components. I finally found individual components then realized I was in over my head and went back to look at the hlg. I really want the best I can get with out spending an arm and a leg. I really like you idea about the 2 lights. But if you remember you really gotta dumb it down for me lol.

Chilled tech sells their stuff in kits now, but i don’t think they have anything small enough to do 2 lights.

This video is a 560mm strip build that would fit in 3x3. A lot of the info in it is specific to these particular strips, but assembling a fixture would be similar. From there you just need to make sure all of your parts are compatible, i can help with that.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Thanks for the video share, have been on his channel well since you posted it. I might be over looking what i need, but i watched a build and he made a rectangle light but the light was only big enough for a 4x2 but i have a 5x3. I watched one that would work for 3x3 i have and that was a cool build. but im in not sure if a 320 is what i need to build or a double 320. Im really digging the lights, am i right though that the cost would be basically same as HLG isn’t it? If so what is the advantage of DIY over the HLG?

You said you were interested in building 2 fixtures, so I linked the video closest to what you would need to build 2 fixtures for a 5x3. His other build is for a 4x4, you certainly don’t need two of those.

Hlg doesn’t have a fixture for a 5x3 either. So the advantage to building would be getting coverage proper from your space. If you want to buy two 260 kits, that’s fine too.

2 Likes

Now i understand. Sorry about about that. so that build for the 3x3 build 2 of them on seperat frames and drivers, a completely separate light. I went to his web site and found this video. would this be what i need if i was to go with a singal light instead he says 4x4/5x5? weighing all opts and cost points to get to what i need. DB you don’t thing that the HLG 600w QB288 would work for the 5x3?

1 Like

That build won’t fit in 3’ wide space. But you could essentially do same thing and tighten up strip spacing to get it in your space. I just figured it would be much easier to get two fixtures in and out, and it would give you a little flexibility with the spacing to build it in two fixtures following the two hlg-320h-c1400 driver model.

The hlg 600 will meet space requirements for light, but the fixture is physically small. So you would have to run it higher to get coverage out to the edges.

Ok that make a heck of a lot of since.
Can we hash this out just to make sure I fully understand.
Build 2 of the builds for the 3x3
Hlg need 2 320w kits?

I have to watch the budget so I have to decide which one is gonna give me more bang for my buck.

This is really the last piece of this puzzle, the light!!!

1 Like

We’re talking about same thing here right? I just wanted to make perfectly clear that my post quoted there is just a driver. Meanwell hlg series constant current power supply. Not to be confused with a horticulture lighting group hlg-320 kit.

1 Like