Cold shock watering near harvest

Looking into things to do close to harvest. Read an article advocating for watering with refrigerated water for last two waterings for a cold shock. Any body do this? I like the idea because I can cold shock a single plant that is close and not effect the rest. Thanks.

Some argue that the plant will take steps to protect itself by increasing trichome production; however, given that most growers don’t do this regularly, you can put me in the doubter category.

2 Likes

Fair enough, that’s kinda where I’m sitting right now. This will be my first harvested plant I’m entertaining anything I can dig up at this point. Thanks for the reply.

The only thing I noticed was the buds constricted and shrunk by about 1/3rd. But after the soil warmed back up they returned to normal. The extra trich production never made sense to me. New trichs are clear and won’t have time to ripen before harvest.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks. What about resin production / concentration within existing trichomes. We could theoretically increase that with winter triggers and or stressors?

I didn’t notice anything there either. This was the only difference I saw.

Before:

After:

Same bud after the ice bath. By the time I harvested the plant was back to normal.

1 Like

There are other things you can do ahead of harvest to improve it’s finished smoke. Running water-only while taking the TDS of the runoff for a week or ten days ahead of harvest will remove a lot of mobile salts (which don’t taste good). A period of extended darkness (36 to 48 hours) may also help transport salts out of the canopy. Doing a peroxide bud wash at harvest will also improve finished flower.

These are techniques a lot of experienced growers adopt.

3 Likes

Appreciate hearing from someone who tried it!

Right on thanks, I’m doing the water only thing now. Was planning on the dark period but not the wash. I thought that was more of an outdoor thing. I’ll have to add it to the list.

1 Like

Same thing with drilling the stalk. I didn’t notice any difference. Definitely give it a shot just so you have your own data. It doesn’t hurt anything.

1 Like

You’d be amazed at the crap that ends up in your plant. Plus it’s likely there is some amount of white powdery mildew buried in the flower and the peroxide bud wash deals with it immediately. IMO it improves the shelf life by sterilizing (more or less) the plant material.

3 Likes

Haha I was planning on that as well :yum:. Im a sucker for all the gimmicks it would appear

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

I’ve read where some growers put a layer of ice around the plant and put it in the dark.

1 Like

Yeah I found something on Google to that effect. I’ve learned that it’s smarter to run things by this community befor trusting random stuff I find on the internet. I’m down to try stuff out just to see. Long as I don’t get a " hey dumbass that’s a terrible idea" type response.

3 Likes

Not on this forum. We try to maintain a bit more respect for our fellow growers. Which is refreshing, frankly.

5 Likes

I read it on here forgot who posted it. Yeah i hear ya about the internet.

1 Like

I agree. This is an amazing community. I came for some quick info and I’m still here two months later :wink:

3 Likes

We all are. Especially starting out. It’s all part of the learning experience. I like to avoid “I read that …” or “I heard that…” if at all possible. I like to say “this is what I saw when I did that.”

3 Likes

Best kind of info there is! Kinda got the expected answer from this. If they weren’t gimmicks I would read about it being done in every grow journal right? Thanks all! I will try this stuff for myself anyway at some point but I feel better about sticking to the basics for this run I think.

2 Likes