Cold or hot cannabis tincture

Hello all,
Hope someone can help me understand which is the best wY to make cannabis tincture/oil for my anxiety, depression, hashimotos and fibromyalgia as well as boosting my energy and having clear head to function and think. I have my cannatonic buds now what do I do with them?? I mean how to make medicine for my conditions??? I do t want high and I don’t w t potent cause I am not treating cancer.
Thanks in advance for ur advice

Hey @Sawsan the strength of the tincture is determined by the bud and not so much the method the tincture is made.

The difference between cold and hot really comes down to how fast you want the tincture. I will post the hot and cold recipes that I have so you can check them out.

2 Likes

Here is a Cold Alcohol Free Tincture Recipe

1. Fill a mason jar ½ way with dried herb (2/3 way full with fresh herb). Chop
    dried herb well before mixing with menstruum.

2. In a separate jar, mix 3 parts organic Vegetable Glycerin and 1 part
    distilled water. Shake to combine.

3. Pour liquid mixture over the herb and completely cover to fill the jar.

4. Label container with date, ratio of glycerin to water, and herbs used.

5. Agitate daily for 4‑6 weeks.

6. Strain with cheesecloth, bottle, label!

Note: If you used a fine powder you may need to double filter, and even
filter through a coffee filter to ensure that no botanical material remains in
your glycerite.

2 Likes

Another Cold Alcohol Based Tincture

Cannabis tinctures are an effective way to take medicine and can be made at home
What is Tincture?

Tinctures are alcohol based cannabis extracts. Throughout the history of medical cannabis, tinctures have been the most common form of marijuana medication used. Today, tinctures are often underrated, but they are easy to use and to provide an accurate dosage. Tinctures also have a long shelf life when stored properly in a cool, dark place. Tinctures are discreet and can be taken sublingually or mixed into food or drinks, this allows medical patients to take their medication in any situation while still maintaining their privacy.

Tinctures are a great smoke free option as well. In recent years, they have become a common form of cannabis medication for children with epilepsy or for the elderly who cannot smoke. Tinctures are also a lower calorie alternative to typical edibles. The average tincture contains 7 calories per ml of tincture, compared to 112 calories for the average serving of a brownie edible. Tinctures are easy to make and customize based on your needs.

Supplies

1 ounce of High CBD marijuana such as Canna-Tsu, ACDC or Harlequin
High proof alcohol (such as Everclear)
A coffee filter
Air-tight 1 quart mason jar
How To Make Tincture

Choose your marijuana strain: We recommend Canna Tsu, a low THC, high CBD strain that would have good pain management properties without high levels of physcoactivity.

If you are starting with raw marijuana, you have to decarboxylate the cannabis in order to transform the THCA to THC (If starting with cured marijuana skip to step 3).

To decarboxylate your cannabis you will need to do the following: First, set your oven to 235° F while you finely grind the cannabis, you can use a finer, hand held cheese grinder for this. Spread the ground marijuana on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and then bake for 30-45 minutes. Once you take it out of the oven, allow the cannabis to to cool before proceeding.

Mix the marijuana with high proof alcohol in the jar. You can choose the ratio of your choice depending on how strong you would like your tincture.

Close the jar and place it into a cool, dark place and let it sit for 2-3 weeks, shaking the container once a day.

Once ready, filter the tincture through a coffee filter and place into another jar or a dropper bottle for easy use.

Store the tincture in a cool, dark place.

Find the Right Strain for You

Tincture creation can become very personalized. With some trial, you will be able to find the perfect tincture for you. This tincture recipe can be used with any strain of marijuana and you can also decide what strength is right for you. If taken sublingually, the effects of the tincture should be able to be felt in between 15-45 minutes.

1 Like

I have another one where you lightly boil off the alcohol, but I can’t find it off hand.

Anyone?

1 Like

@ without sounding stupid, what do you do once its all filtered ,does it thicken up ,and do you then put it into capsules or just take a spoon full

It stays a liquid. Not thick at all. You put it into a dropper bottle and you take drops under your tongue. Works very quickly. @Coltfire

1 Like

Important, but not sure it’s clear here: Tinctures are not meant to be consumed like food. You drop them under your tongue, where they are absorbed quickly into the bloodstream. If you ingest them, you may as well make edibles and wait an hour for the effects.

…Typing as @bob31 was… So, yeah.

3 Likes

Hi, can I use coconut oil instead of glycerine??

Hi for religion reason cannot consume alcohol that’s why the hot method is ideal cause alcohol when heated evaporates but when cold and stored for weeks u would still have alcohol right?? Correct me if I’m wrong please

Actually the cooked tincture is very solid and need to get it warm to able use dropper

1 Like

Which works better though cold or hot tinctures/ oil for anxiety?? For hot I can use alcohol but for cold I have to use a carrier like coconut oil or glycerine right??

Doesn’t though the hot tincture has TCH and cold doesn’t cause ur not heating it

Sorry might sound stupid but what do u mean bob31 by raw or cured cannabis??
After harvesting I let buds dry by spreading on newspaper for 1-2 weeks. Once dried I put them in plastic bags and ready to make tincture. Are they cured or I need to put in oven before starting my tincture.

S Dennaoui

Cannabis needs to be heated. If you’re not smoking or vaping, you need to decarboxylate it somehow – in the oven, a pan, whatever – before you take it. Otherwise it will just be herbal tea. Yummy, maybe, but not medicinal.

1 Like

Hi Lisa
Then why does is say if it’s cure it’s fine to start the tincture??? Isn’t curing just placing buds in jar and drying Further for few weeks in dark?? That’s surely not decarboxylation

I think coconut oil is actually a solid? It needs to be a liquid to be a tincture.

No, I think that is correct. But I think there is always a small degree of alcohol in the tincture, no matter which way it is made.

I would recommend making the glycerin one.

It isn’t the method it is made it is what you are using for the MJ going into the tincture. I think you would want low THC and higher CBD.

If you don’t decarboxilate the MJ then you will not get any effects from it. It needs to be decarb’d to allow the active ingredients to become active. You can basically bake the MJ in the oven as specified above, prior to making the tincture.

To decarboxylate your cannabis you will need to do the following: First, set your oven to 235° F while you finely grind the cannabis, you can use a finer, hand held cheese grinder for this. Spread the ground marijuana on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and then bake for 30-45 minutes. Once you take it out of the oven, allow the cannabis to to cool before proceeding.

Hope this helps! Keep asking questions until you understand the process! @Sawsan

1 Like

That’s some good info @bob31 @Lia I’ve never made tinctures before but after reading this thread I think I may try it
Bob you know what I deal with as far as pain will this be a good option for me bro ?

2 Likes

absolutely john @Countryboyjvd1971 and you can make it with trim as well if you have some left. Like 25% trim and 75% bud maybe.

Just make it from the MJ that works best for you. The stuff is great, works quick and a couple of quick drops. very stealthy.

1 Like

I like stealthy
I might give it a go this weekend
I’ll need to run to CT to get the everclear but that cool its only a 15/20min ride to the boarder
They don’t sell it in NY wtf