Coco and pH related questions

Hello everyone, I am starting up a new grow and this time I am performing my first ever coco grow and I have a question related to pH. So I have already hydrated and double buffered my coco, but I was wondering if I had to worry about pH yet or if that’s something to worry about when it comes to feeding nutes and adjusting the pH to coco standards at that point. Am I worrying to early? Thanks for any and all feedback

2 Likes

Coco-coir is a form of hydroponics so hydro rules apply.
Thats ph at 5.8.
I use cal-mag water at about 200-250 ppm PHed at 5.8 to hydrate my coco.
You will like coco as long as the daily watering doesn’t bother you…

4 Likes

As to worrying, i would not worry.
Coco gets so much nutrient solution going through it on a regular basis. As long as you go in at 5.8 they will be fine.
Coco is really forgiving for hydroponics, honestly long as you go in between 5.8-6.2 you should have no issues with ph.

If you add any organic materials though, that can change. Coco/soil mixes can be tricky :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I have already hydrated my coco but I was unaware I should have pH’ed it at the same time! Is it to late to fix that? Or should I start again with new coco and this time adgust the pH?

1 Like

You’re fine. I would not worry about it :+1:
You can use that coco for sure.

As long as what goes in is 5.8 then don’t worry much about the coir or run-off numbers.
Honestly I don’t water to runoff. If I see leaf tips or edges starting to yellow or burn then I go half strength or plain water a couple days. Coco and Jacks 321 last several grows.

2 Likes

Hey @1HappyPappy what do you do with the coco after harvest?

1 Like

Thats a million dollar question :rofl:

So i switched about a year ago and so far I’ve been dumping it in a pile outside with the intention of adding it to raised beds outside one day.
But many people reuse it some how :thinking:

I’d actually like to know wtf to do with it myself :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am all ears also. :ear: :ear:

3 Likes

You can store it in a tote after it dry’s out and the stalk and roots are removed. When ready to use it just rinse the coco dust out of it (I use a colander) rebuffer it with cal/mag or Jacks 321. @1HappyPappy @GreggT @Medicineman33

4 Likes

They say you can wash it real good and reuse it I’ve never tried it myself though

2 Likes

Check out Dr. Coco on you-tube Coco for Cannabis

2 Likes

i reuse mine with the method coco for cannabis shows and im fine so far