COB Lighting Info

You’re gonna need to invest in some bamboo stakes flinging all those photons lol!

Roughly $1 per watt. If you can find two qb 120’s for a reasonable price and don’t need dimming maybe cheaper. Problem is the only place you can ever find them is on amazon and they’re only available in a 4 pack. Arrow was running 15% off if it’s your first order, and 3500k strips were reasonably priced there. The benefit of the boards would be no real cost in building frame or getting a thermal bed.

1 Like

How many strips would I need and do they need a heat sink?? Kinda like this idea.

1 Like

Depends on which strips. I’m kinda busy to do a lot of researching right now. I’ll try to look around when I have time.

No worries. I’m capable of looking that up. Thank you!

1 Like

Check to s e what pricing is at arrow on the eb gen2 and Samsung f series strips. The f series were like $12 for 560mm. You can use pretty much any length in that size tent, but would favor 280mm or 1120mm. The Samsung would be better with a heatsink, but you wouldn’t need as many of them. So we’d have to see exactly how the driver and other material costs line up.

If you decide on the Samsung’s heatsinkusa dot com has a .60" heatsink that @Aolelon suggested to me. They work really well. They are slightly skinnier than the strip but dissipate the heat well. And are priced cheap enough that they are on the same playing field with plate aluminum for the EB strips.

3 Likes

If only doing a couple would probably even go up to the 1”. Wider than strip and still only $.16 “.

I was looking at them and didn’t see a wattage listed for them? Digikeys site is kinda confusing.

1 Like

The heat sink is dirt cheap. How do I attach the strips?

1 Like

Double sided thermal transfer tape.

Actually, arrow right now has double row f series strips for like $22. You would put those on something like 2.079 extrusion from heatsink USA.

1 Like

Sorry for all the questions, I may have to many chromosomes. Lol. How many strips would you do in the 2x4 tent?

1 Like

Digikey is probably the easiest when you put a specific part number into the search bar. Open up data sheet for leds you’re looking at and copy paste part number from there.

1 Like

You just confirmed I’m slow :rofl:

1 Like

Those double row f-series, maybe 3-4 if you’re planning on using as veg light. They’re pretty much just long narrow quantum boards.

Cool. I’ll have to put together a parts list and bounce it off you

1 Like

Didn’t mean to lol. If you’re using browse function there it really sucks. But once you get to the actual part they do a good job.

If you’re looking for watts, multiply volts and amps. If you go with f series would like 1050ma from meanwell. So 560mm double row would be in the 45-50 watt per strip range. Single row like 23-25 watts per strip.

If you go bridgelux on plate figure 700ma. So 560mm strip would be like 14ish watts.

2 Likes

I’ll probably do 4 strips in an aluminum frame with the ability to add additional strips if needed

1 Like

No problem. I have baby tonight wife is “out” lol. But I’ll check in.

@Aolelon is really good with Samsung stuff too, probably better than me. I’m sure he’ll drop in when he can. May know of better deal or way to setup.

With arrow running 15% off right now, and good prices on the single row and double row strips, would probably be difficult to do otherwise.

3 Likes

GNO gotta love that. Maybe she’ll come home and reward you for the night out lol. Thanks for all the help my friend. Without your advice I wouldn’t be harvesting moon rocks.

1 Like

I’m just glad you got them! Good lights help, but you still gotta grow them.

If you decide on which strip you want I can find driver. 4 of those double row would go on hlg-240h-c1050a with room for a 5th or other leds.

If you go single row, you’d need more than 4 and can do an hlg-185.

1 Like