COB Lighting Info

@dbrn32 so I’m looking into actually building my own lights for the next phase of my grownroom. I’m really looking at the cobs similar to timber grow lights. Do you feel these perform as well or better than the qb’s? Also, what components would you recommend. I know there are citizen, cree, and Vero cobs. Any input is appreciated.

I think I would look at these two options over cobs myself.

Just to add more to think about of course lol

I was just looking at the HLG website.

1 Like

They’re some serious powerhouses with what those boards can handle. Although the upper end would take a lot of cooling to get there.

The QB 96 can be powered to 200w before needing active cooling so, I doubt you would run them that hard.

1 Like

I was really thinking more of their statement of 6000ma max they claim. I’m not sure who would run anything that high but I’m betting someone gets close lol.

But good to know you can get to 200 watts without needing to add active cooling that’s pretty dang good in itself.

1 Like

Generally speaking the boards and strips are a little more efficient. But you can play with drive current a little to throw that more in your favor. The biggest difference between cobs and mid power tech is availability of different cct.

I think you hit most of the big players. Cree hasn’t really been relevant for a little bit. They’re still good, but you can get similar performance from the others for about half the cost.

The burning question, what would you choose? I’m very happy with my qb’s but am always trying to learn more. Regardless, my next set of lights will be a diy build. It just sucks because no one seems to have the Heatsinks in stock.

1 Like

We’ll find you heatsinks if we need to. I’d probably go with luminous, citi, or vero 29 b or c. It would depend on how big space is and which cobs line up with amount of cobs I need vs how they fit on drivers.

It’s for a 2x4 tent. Would you do cobs or qb?

In addition to what you have or is this going to be a separate space doing it’s own thing on top of what you already have?

Im in and watching! My 2x2 strip builds only have 9 strips on them. N id love to add to them. Between these or the far red… maybe both if possible? Thinking 2700k cobs strictly for the flowering mode :joy:

DB did you outline that insane build u did with both? I could just go peek at that

Yes. Clone veg tent of for a mother plant.

I probably wouldn’t drop the money on cobs for that. You currently have a 4000k hlg-100 right?

3000k 135qb. Three of them

Oops, obviously had that confused with another member sorry. Getting to be too many of you guys, but not a bad thing.

Quantum boards rock

2 Likes

Very nice!

For vegging in a 2x4 I’d look to get about 120-150 watts of strips or boards in something like 4000k

1 Like

Ok. I’m gonna build my own this time. What’s a board build cost about.

1 Like

That was just one that was breaking because of the weight

1 Like