Coast of Maine Soil

I’ve had clumps of random unknown seeds on a few occasions as well. You get like a wad of sprouts you didn’t expect. At least you know it’s alive!

My favorite so far was a load of mulch I got delivered last spring that sprouted a Morel
Mushroom!

3 Likes

I use COM dirt, seed starter, nutrients and additives. Outdoors and now in a tent. Autos and photos. Yes I had some gnats, but easily dealt with. I love the results I’m getting and will stick with it.

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

First time grower here and I have a question in regards to Coast of Maine’s Platinum Grower’s Mix. I started by seeds off in this soil in 5 gallon pots, well the center cores were seed starter as to not burn them and the idea was they’d grow into the super soil. Anyway, I made the the rookie mistake of giving each 5 gallon pot 1 gallon of water to start. Three days ago I spotted a fungus gnat, which I dealt with quickly with some DE and traps, and dry top dressings. Haven’t seen another. Further along, here I am at two weeks in and still haven’t needed to water. The plants look fine but I’m not sure how long they can continue before I have to water them. It being wet so long can’t be good for anything other than bad. Good news is my water meter which I do trust amongst other methods is nearing its red zone at what I believe more or less to be my plants root level. I believe 5 gallons of the soil fresh out the bag to be about 15-16lbs dry, I weighted my pot today, 19.04, and this is with the additional top dressings I had to amend for the gnats so I’m thinking I’m finally nearing out the bag moisture. Anyway, how should I go about this issue? Shall I just start over as this will continue to be a problem throughout the grow? I’ve always read that for autoflowers it’s good to star tthem directly in their final pot which for me is 5 gallons but I see with this type of soil that may be the case. That and I shouldn’t have wet all of the soil for a seed.

2 Likes

If the plants are not showing stress from over watering then let them dry out and keep going fungus gnats can show up in most organic soils they are usually easily taken care of sticky cards, mosquito bits DE and others

3 Likes

just dont water so much. go around the seedling only. and yes always plant autos in final vessel.

3 Likes

I agree, overwatering was always my biggest mistake, had to retrain myself and make them almost beg for water lol. I love these sprayers tho, they work great for doing water circles around baby plants

2 Likes

A turkey baster works well to

2 Likes

I will try Coast of Maine in my next grow. Where did you get that?

I get mine at my local garden supply Agway store they have a locator on the web site

I use CoM, great soil. I order mine from True Value and pick it up at my local store.

1 Like

Coast of maine bar Harbor Blend got my girls like this. I buy it from my local nursery.

9 Likes

very nice

COM products are great I’ve found whichever blend you choose some perlite added in will help out huge. The dry amendments work really well too and cost wise you can’t go wrong

1 Like

The pink bag right that’s what I’ve done my last 3 grows with the soil is really rich and I found I didn’t have to start feeding for at least 3 weeks or more depending on which strain I was growing. Overall really good stuff!!

Yes pink bag no perlite since I’m in fabric pots the girls don’t seem 2 mind it at all. I don’t use none of the amendment. I feed the girls Jack’s 321 and fish shit. Later in flower I start adding recharge

Yeah that is what I’m thinking about next grow the jacks seems to be the way to go!

Really easy and cheap compared 2 the rest and my girls are all frosty 2 from it I personally wouldn’t use nothing else now a days

1 Like

any nutes my freind or is it all organic? i use COM also ,

Yes Jack’s 321 by Jack’s nutrition. It’s a 3 part nutrition that you mix with water every feeding and it’s cheap

1 Like

i thought so. im going to try just top dressing thru veg and nutes about week 4 flowering.
see how it works out.