Coast of Maine Soil

Mines the 5x5 Gorilla shorty, using a 3x3 for Veg. Wish they made a 4x4 in 60” height, I’m vertically challenged in the basement.

2 Likes

@sandune well I havnt tried com yet being its on its way lol but I do go by oceans forest an happy frog some strains I got 6-7 weeks from seed before I could even use nutes n still burn my super lemon haze with a small small dose but we made thru it but I love oceans forest an happy frog I mix them together… But I can’t wait to try the coast of Maine soil was wandering if I should grab their fish bone meal as well for bud n bloom cause I do need fish bone meal…lol

3 Likes

I got their organic fertz, fish meal and worm casts. The have a feeding schedule that goes by the size (gal) you are raising in. It gives you guidance on how long soil will feed your plant and then what product to use, how much and when. Very simple!

4 Likes

All there stuff seams to be high quality my local supplier sells almost the whole line I’ve been sticking to their cannabis feeding schedule but I do use teas 3 times and silica boost liquid kelp and molasses

5 Likes

I follow the schedule too. Also I add Roots Organic Trinity to the water once a week.

4 Likes

@IslandGrown76 hey wanted to ask you are you growing in Stonington blend ??! If so I jus got growers mix an am looking for recipe for teas so I can do jus water an teas u think u can help me out ??? Hate to b a bother

1 Like

The products listed on COM’s feeding schedule don’t contain soil microbes (such as mycorrhizae or the Recharge amendment). For those who use COM products, do you add a soil microbe product? Do you find it necessary?

1 Like

I just use teas 3 times 2 times in veg and once in flower also use liquid kelp when watering 2ML to a gallon

1 Like

Teas with microbes?

Teas feed the microbes that are in your soil and add nutrients

@garrigan62 has great post on teas and how they work

1 Like

So the goal of your teas are to feed the existing microbes, and there isn’t a need to add more microbes? I mostly know how teas work, but some/many growers add microbes to their grows with their amendments pre-flower and mid-flower -ish.

(It’s a bit confusing when some popular products have microbes, lol … when and why are those needed, other than in the initial soil.)

Teas also add microbes the process of making the tea and the ingredients you can use products like recharge or tribus but I just like making teas

1 Like

When it comes to microbes they can be found in some of the amendments you add to your soil, like compost. The teas usually feed those microbes. The microbes feed the plants when they poop. It is in a form the plants use as food like worm castings. You can really read for days and days on this subject. Here is a printout of it:

Hope this helps. Peace…

3 Likes

I have 4 seven gal bags. COM Stonington Blend. 1st time indoors and with autos. Done outdoors in the past. I use COM fertz, fish meal and worm casts.

I use tea also. 5 gallons H2O, 1 cup of mushroom compost, 1 C lobster compost, 1 C worm cast - all in a paint strainer bag tied. I aerate 24 - 48 hours. Divide it between the 4 twice a month.
I like what my plants look like.

Can’t wait for photoperiod seeds to arrive Friday. 8 x 4 x 6.5 tent arrived today - now I have two!!! 8x4 and 4x4! I really like indoors and COM!!!

3 Likes

Thanks @patchman I was struggling to explain that

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. I’m aware of why microbes are needed and what they do. I’m just wondering how needed they are with the COM line, since the COM amendments don’t have any in their products, other than in the initial soil.

My guess is that most of you who use COM think that adding microbes throughout the grow is necessary, because that’s what you guys do. :slight_smile:

I’m newer to mj growing, and to growing of any plants, and I like KISS whenever possible. I like the organic soil methods best, and the COM line geared towards cannabis interests me most. Anyway, just seeing what all is needed for my future grows.

5 Likes

What’s in the soil from the get is fine - fed and cared for well and they’ll thrive and multiply - you don’t need to add more if you sustain them with molasses and kelp teas.

If you want to add more or increase diversity or just boost the population of local beasties in your soil you can add local humus or home made compost to your tea. A scoop of that, a tbs per gallon each of molasses and kelp and you’ve got yourself a stew. Bubble it with an air stone for 24 hours and you’ll see those little beasties really come to life

6 Likes

Found this on Leafly and thought you guys might like it… I agree with the flavor profile part :+1:t3:

Organic cannabis fertilizers

Organic fertilizers are nutrients that come from organic sources such as animal and vegetable waste. They also include sediments like glacial rock dust and gypsum that contain beneficial minerals for the soil and plant. They are common for outdoor growing and usually come in powder form.

Organic fertilizers and nutrients can be more forgiving than liquid nutrients. They usually contain less immediately soluble nutrients and more elements that are beneficial to soil organisms.

Most of these fertilizers can be purchased cheaply at your local nursery and then mixed into soil before potting outdoors. Done correctly, you’ll only need to water your plants throughout the growing process, as all nutrients are in the soil.

We recommend these organic fertilizers:

• Blood meal or fish meal for nitrogen
  • Bone meal or bat guano for phosphorus
  • Wood ash or kelp meal for potassium
  • Dolomite lime for calcium and magnesium
  • Epsom salts for magnesium and sulfur

Commercial soil blends also exist that already contain the proper mix of these nutrients.

Benefits of organic fertilizers for cannabis plants

One of the best things about organic fertilizers is they improve the soil while also improving the quality of your plants. Other benefits:

• The slow release of nutrients protects plants from too many nutrients
  • Over time, organic fertilizers will improve the quality and diversity of life in soil
  • Improved airflow and water retention in soil
  • Renewable and sustainable
  • Organics stay in the soil with a lower chance of nutrient run-off

Some growers also find that growing organically increases the flavor profile of finished cannabis as well as increases yields.

The fertilization process can repeat itself year after year as the soil continually improves—next year, your soil will be even better than this year’s.

Using organics is also great if you want to be more in-tune with your natural environment. Organic fertilizers are readily available from renewable sources and are an earth friendly option.

Disadvantages of organic nutrients for cannabis plants

There are some complications in working with organic fertilizers. The main issue is if your weed plants have a nutrient deficiency, it takes longer for a plant to absorb organic powder nutrients, which can increase the damage to plants. Liquid nutrients act much quicker. Other disadvantages:

• They take time to be absorbed by the plant
  • Require microorganisms to break down nutrients, which may slow in colder temperatures
  • Can introduce insects and pests
6 Likes

I can fill you in with tea recipes for sure!

3 Likes