Coast of Maine Soil

Can you explain your tea a little more? I’d love to do more of that and less bottled stuff.

1 Like

Hey Deez-
I am a new organic grower and I have made my own living soil. I am on the tail end of my 2nd grow. When it comes to adding to or feeding the microbes in the soil, teas are a great way to do that. To feed the microbes I just do a very simple molasses tea. The molasses has to be the unsulphered kind. If it’s not unsulphured, it will kill your microbes. All I do is take one tablespoon of molasses, and a cup of very hot water (not boiling though). I stir the molasses into that cup because it’s so much easier to get it off the spoon that way. I stir it in until the spoon is clean. Then I add that to almost a whole gallon of distilled water. All that sugary goodness feeds the microbes, who inturn poop out usable food for the plant. They even deliver it to the roots. If there is anything else the plant needs, say a dry amendment, like bone meal. I will dig a trench around the plant with a finger or two, not very deep. I sprinkle the meal in the trench, cover it up with soil, and water with the tea. There are a gazillion recipes for teas. Basically you are making a nutrition available to the microbes in the soil, and at times, your plant. If you haven’t looked at the section on beneficial microbes, fungi, and bacteria, you might want to give it a look. Or you can always Google teas for marijuana plants. If you grow natural with living soil, you will be using teas at some point. Now on the molasses tea, use it as soon as you make it because it will only be good for 4-6 hours. There is a way I think to store it with an air pump and bubble stone. That gets into areas of aerobic teas and anaerobic teas. I am not experienced enough to explain it, but the info is readily available. I hope this helped a little. If you have any other questions I will try to help. Peace…

4 Likes

Thank you. I buy Roots Organic Trinity which is molasses and kelp and some other stuff. I’d be fine with making it at home.

3 Likes

I’ve been using that same bar harbor blend in the pink bag for my outdoors crops for a number of years now and I’ve always Found it necessary to amend it. It never has enough nitrogen to get through vegetative growing outdoors. I typically mix in some thing on the hot side that’s nitrogen heavy like composted chicken manure or Pro-Gro.

With the bar harbor blend are usually start top dressing with Bloom fertilizers a couple weeks before flowering starts outdoors in my area. Last year I got caught unprepared and wound up using open sesame/beastie blooms/cha-ching and that worked out ok. But not as well as the Stonington is working out using dry top dressed amendments

3 Likes

Deez-
There’s always more than one way to grow good marijuana. Many soil recipes,
and many amendments promising cedar tree sized buds. Roots has a pretty good reputation, I am sure that Trinity tea will be just fine. I will likely go with coast of Maine soil if I ever have to buy soil. I am going to keep making mine for now. Good luck sir! I am set to watching now so I won’t miss any more posts!

1 Like

Agree 100%. I’ve been mixing my own for years and this is the first time I’m trying a bagged mix with no amendments or changes and just following the manufacturer feeding schedule.

2 Likes

I’m newer than a newbie. Lol. I want to use a 15 gallon pot. Do I need to add any nutrients to the pot or will the soil take care of it through the entire vengeance stage? I’m sure you can tell that I want him to get ginormous! Lol Do you think that a 15 gallon pot with The Stonington blend platinum mix would allow for a 3 month to 4 month veg? Also, with a plant that big what would you suggest I use during the flowering. To keep it healthy and produce a very large yield? If I apologize for all the questions come but I am a very new guy at this, but I want to get good fast. Anybody else is more than welcome to chime in with their expert advice… I would like to stick with all toast of main products, but I am willing to veer off the path a little bit for the sake of quality and size. Thank you in advance.

Becker4200-
Ate you growing inside or out? Is it a photo or auto seed? The soil should be fine for growing your girl (you don’t want a him plant). A photo plant will stay in veg stage until you change your light schedule to 12 on, 12 off. A lot of folks run lights at 18 hours on, then 6 hours off. You will need a pH pen and a TDS pen so you can make sure your pH is in the right range and the TDS meter will tell you how much she is eating. Here are a couple of charts to help you.

Hopefully this will help you. Good luck! Peace…

1 Like

I’ve been using Coast of Maine for the last few grows, the Stonington blend out of the bag will give you about 30 days of nutes, so if you plan to veg for longer you’ll need to add more nutes to keep them happy. I add in 1/3 cup of the lobster meal after 30 days, (Dig 1” trench, sprinkle in and water) then I use the Stonington plant food fert 2 weeks before they go into flower, then I start using their Buds & Bloom fish bone meal for flower, had great results using this formula. This year I added their kelp, alfalfa and worm casting products to my “pantry” so I’ll be tinkering with those and adding them to teas and foliage sprays. I just started a grow journal for my first indoor grow (I’ve been growing exclusively outside) so you can follow my Coast of Maine journey at : its mom’s basement now! Good luck with yours!

6 Likes

Thank you for the valuable information. Very much appreciated!!

1 Like

I’m doing photos inside.

1 Like

I’m using Stonington on my present grow it’s going very well you need to add perlite I also added lobster compost and worm castings but that’s optional

2 Likes

You can never go wrong with worm castings. I use mushroom compost as well.

3 Likes

So far the stonington blend has worked well for my first outdoor grow. I’m about 9 weeks in using an approx 12 gal pot and haven’t seen any obvious signs of nutrient deficiency. I have added earthworm castings, fish bone meal (for phosphate) and langbeinite (for potassium) during flower to help it along, but probably would have been fine without. The soil does retain moisture for a long time and I had some fungus gnats which seemed to have cleared with mosquito bits. I probably water once every 5 days or so.

2 Likes

I found that I got even better results watering more often than I thought I needed to. I’m accustomed to watering soil every few days and found this Stonington blend can hold a lot more water than I expected in a single watering and can also handle more frequent waterings without signs of over watering than I expected. I was watering my indoor 7gal pots every other day and sometimes every day

3 Likes

Interesting! I’ll give it a try. Plants never showed signs of needing more (leaves always pointing up during the day and looking green) but I was definitely wondering if it could benefit from more. As an amateur, was just a little concerned with overwatering causing root rot and amplifying the fungus gnats issue.

1 Like

It won’t help the fungus gnats that’s for sure but if you see signs of overwatering it’s easy to back off.

I’m not surprised when I get gnats with FF or COM soil I’m surprised when I don’t

1 Like

Hello
I’m trying the stonington blend as well. Has anyone used it with autos?
If so have you used the full strength recommendations from COM.

I always seem to read that autos are more sensitive and one should adjust any amendments downward…

Im growing autos in it presently and I’m hitting them hard. I’ve got Stonington blend which I’m top dressing every other week with Roots Organics Uprising Bloom, every 4 weeks with Earthworm Castings, compost tea with FF Big bloom and molasses and kelp, and FF Beastie Bloomz.

My experience with Autos is they can handle strong fertilizer so I give em alll they can take.

1 Like