co2..?

We just got the right to keep 6 plants here in Alaska… with any luck I’ll be starting a few plants inside soon… some might stay inside and a few will go out next to the raspberry patch.

We heat our house with gas, and had a new heater put in that works so well that the stack on the roof is made of PVC… the plumbers act like the system makes so much CO2 we could die if it leaked… I’m wondering if a greenhouse over the exhaust stack on the roof would- keep pests (kids around the block) away, warm the planters, and boost growth from extra CO2… Normally we shut the heater off for the summer, and it would almost never be running.

Is extra CO2 used right from the start…? or could I get a boost after about a foot or so, then finish the grow cycle on the ground at around 4 foot high…?

Sooo… Three things, I’m guessing you don’t post about CO2 because the amount needed to make a difference might need to be a lot, in a system that would contain it…? and that could result in death if done wrong indoors…? Or, I should just take on my own to experiment, and report back…?

We also have a, “sodastream” that pumps CO2 into water for making drinks… Do you think that could have any effect in germination, and would a root system be able to take in any of the extra CO2.

Germination in carbonated water, under pressure…?

Yes, CO2 could be dangerous if done incorrectly.

There are numerous postings here in the forum from others that do use various systems. Personally I’ve never used added CO2 and so I didn’t comment previously. Your unique situation seems to be unique enough no one else can really comment on your idea either?

CO2 can be applied from a compressed canister, not any different than the ones that are in convenience store soda machines or in restaurants. You would need a regulator and various other parts to distribute the co2 efficiently and effectively to the canopy of leaves. You would also want a co2 meter so you can dial in the proper parts per million of CO2 that can work with the regulator, or a timer, so you won’t waste co2.

Open containers of carbonated water, placed around the plant’s canopy could potentially provide an increased amount of CO2 for the plant’s leaves. This would not be much different than other preparations of liquid in containers, containing a vinegar or yeast mixture and also placed around the garden in numerous places.

Root systems do not take in co2, and this would actually be bad for the roots. The roots actually need oxygen. The leaves need CO2.

As far as any specific recommendations, you’ll have to wait for Latewood’s responses. He is familiar with CO2 systems for small grows as well as large commercial greenhouse grows. He can tell you all the devices you’d need and whether a pressurized CO2 canister or Liquid Propane or Natural Gas system would be best in your ideas for a garden.