CO2 what method does everyone use?

I would like to express my gratitude and thank you for your input into lighting, you save me and many others lots of time researching and figuring , you have done all the leg work for us. Also I use c02 bags for the first time, I have 1240 actual watts of LED’s 5x5 tent. ( which now that I have the knowledge, I will work on the quantum boards mainly from HLG. ( most quality I see ) That is down the road now, but the previous grows inside with no c02 the tops where no where near the size of these tops, same strains. I have a sealed system with 4 inch 390 cfm carbon filter pumping in and a 6 inch exhaust out, but had to add another 4 inch out because of heat issues from lights and not enough suction because of filters. ( I think I mentioned that to you on another post ) I have 2 c02 bags at floor level and the exhaust at top of tent draws the c02 up thru the plants. I think it is working, I have no meter but just looking at the plants they are thick, huge, healthy and different, only difference is the c02, I am going to get a meter then investigate what the c02 levels should be at.

c02

2 Likes

I think it will be interesting to see, if you have good data on the ‘without’ grow. I think a better test would be with 2 clones from the same mother, one with, one without in 2 different tents.

2 Likes

Every profession lab growing has co2 bottles on timers, c02 must help or they wouldn’t be pumping it in, I do know that if you do not have evough lighting your c02 is worthless.

Right, but they have massive co2 to pump in (not bags) to compensate for the fact that it is not a sealed environment. Intake and exhaust pretty much blow that out of the water.

But yes I think it must help, and it you had a tank of it and a sensor and regulator that kept it at a certain level, it would make a difference.

2 Likes

So I guess I’m not arguing against the theory, just the efficacy of the home grower trying to make use of it.

If you had the fans off at night so it could accumulate I can see that helping a little.

1 Like

It would be cool to know how much volume of co2 they put into a warehouse greenhouse.

You could probably reduce that by cubic footage to see if it is something approachable at home - otherwise I think it may be a pet-rock (meaning, worthless, but it cant hurt) taking advantage of the market.

1 Like

Venting in filtered outside air. to poor for c02 :clown_face:

I only turn the red cob on when taking pics cuz I know it irritates the QB guys

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. You have to look at what they’re doing to. Sealed rooms with a/c and usually a double ended gavita per 4x4. Those bags barely raise the co2 level as it is, then you have to keep it in the grow to be effective. Then you have the lighting to drive that kind of photosynthesis.

Every grow is a little different, but having bigger plants could be for a lot of reasons. Look around some, there’s lots of members growing huge colas and have outstanding yields on ambient co2.

6 Likes

If you are exhausting air to the outside, don’t bother with CO2. You are not generating enough to change the level in your room. At best, with a sealed room, AC, and enough light, your plants will just grow a little faster. It’s easier and a lot cheaper just the let them grow a week or two longer.

If you have a sealed greenhouse with AC and humidity control, and want to get as many grows as you can per year, it might make sense. The determining factor may be money: Are you trying to make a lot of money, or do you just want to grow some weed to smoke? In California, the choice is easy. Grow six plants and stay legal with no licenses, police, or zoning hassles.

1 Like

In a different thread, more interesting info on co2 in the middle of the post. Specifically, my idea of turning the fans off at night so it can accumulate is officially a non-starter…

1 Like

I agree! There are sooo many other limiting factors you can cost effectively deal with before even considering CO2 levels. Its a non starter IMO…

3 Likes

So the bottom line is it probably doesn’t help any unless you have the right lights, a sealed room, and a pretty large ppm of co2 @Skeeter19_5. It won’t hurt anything either they way we are doing it now. I stopped using it the last 2 grows, but started again this time to see if I can tell any difference.

2 Likes

Yeah that is what I got from it.

1 Like

Unfortunately from what I heard they don’t take in co2 when lights are off, I might be wrong but thought I read that somewhere. First time using the bag of co2 and I do notice a big difference in the size of the tops on this grow. Time will tell, if my bud sizes are larger on this grow I am going to attribute it to the co2 because it is the only thing I am doing different. Learning process. I should fork out the money and buy a co2 tester. Also my system is a sealed system, no vents are open. I have a filtered intake and filtered exhaust that runs 24 hrs, the circulating fans go off when lights go off.

Yeah, I got that part. That is why I posted the link to the other page. Is there also a possibility that you are a better grower this time, and it’s not the CO2? I mean if it works for you rock on! I just see it as the TAG body spray of weed-growing. It never does what it advertises, but the kids keep buying it anyway :wink:

1 Like

Well I know for a fact the bags are putting out co2, it is a matter of is the plant taking it in or is it getting sucked out of the grow room by the exhaust fan before any of it is absorbed by the plant. Heck I am willing to try anything, I am twisting and turning branches, breaking them, doing things different and seeing what the out come is. Read an article that said you want to make your plant grow like a table top, horizontally, so I been tinkering around with that and have double the tops I ever had.

1 Like

I think that your personal comfort with the growing process, and doing the things quoted are what boosted your yield :wink: Like I said before, I don’t think it’ll hurt, I just think it’s not helping that much either.

Well I’ll find out if it don’t work I won’t do it again but it’s probably just a gimmick to make money just like everything else. I look at all the fertilizers with all of the fancy colors and pictures of gigantic Buds and frogs and all kinds of crap on the bottles to make them enticing to buy. The guy at the store was trying to get me to buy Bud Candy and I looked at the ingredients and it was magnesium. Well my Cal Mag has magnesium in it so why would I buy more.

1 Like

That is my train of thought, hence the Tag Body Spray reference (never got me any girls :rofl: )

I don’t think it can hurt I just don’t think, for me or you, we could produce enough co2 for it to matter unless we had a tank and a sensor/flow-regulator to keep it at a high level. And then I couldn’t look at them as often as I do!

I agree on the nute-labels too! To be honest, I got the FF line because they had a deal on a pack that had everything I needed, and they had a easy-ish schedule to follow. I also read an article about the 4 stages of flower, and the granules that are specific to different stages of flower seemed to agree with that. We’ll see.

1 Like

If you have any kind of exhaust fan running, you would have to generate a huge amount of CO2 to keep the concentration up. People successfully using CO2 have sealed room with air conditioners to keep them cool, and very bright lights. Even then, all the CO2 does is makes the plant grow faster. You can probably see the same benefit by vegging another week or two. So I think it only makes sense if you have a commercial greenhouse.

1 Like