Co2 supply for grow tent growing autoflower girl scout cookies?

Can anyone direct me to an inexpensive co2 delivery system? Is it worth purchasing co2 for grow tent? I have read various claims about using co2 and as a first time grower I am up for almost anything but on limited army disability income.
Thanks

5 Likes

I am a new grower myself and have read that if you spend 10-15 min a day with your plants you produce more than enough co2

3 Likes

Co2 is really not needed in a tent set up. The lights dont get that intense that co2 should be applied. Depending where your set up is located your lung room should have enkugh co2

2 Likes

CO2 demands a sealed environment, high intensity lighting, and high PPMs. Supplemental CO2 does absolutely no good without adequate lighting and an environment where the plant will actually use the CO2. CO2 makes no sense for the vast majority of hobby growers. Normal room CO2 is plenty.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community ! If you are Planning on growing for personal use In a reasonable amount of space. You will not need CO2 . only exhaust fan maybe intake fan. Good luck

2 Likes

If u have a look a a YouTube channel called beginner buds they show u how to make a CO2 container and they do testing aswell it it showed the co2 goes up quite high not high enough to ware its dangerous to you .i use there way and i believe it has helped me go from getting two ounces a run to where im getting ten ounces a plant it didnt go from two to ten that quick .but have a look at that channel

How To Make CHEAP DIY CO2 Dispenser for Grow Tent - YouTube have a look at this it works its what i use

My flower tent is in my bedroom (long story) so i was afraid to use a gas burning co2 device for obvious reasons. I went with the aquarium style setup. $60 on amazon. You get a tank and line along with a filter and bubble counter. You pour 200g of baking soda and citric acid into the tank, then quickly add cold water and rush to screw on the top. Its a pain but it’s cheap and works great. I definitely saw a big improvement in yield and flowering time but that’s becauae i have high end HLG rspec lights and the environment/nutes/etc. dialed in.

As folks already mentioned, adding co2 doesn’t just make miracles. HOWEVER if everything else is optimum, it’s fairly likely that co2 is the limiting factor for many hobby grows. Meaning your grow results aren’t just the net of all the good things you do for your plants. Ppl tend to think “if I add a ton of full spectrum light it’ll improve my results”. In fact, whichever factor of plant care is the LEAST optimal is typically what sets the upper limits of the quality of one’s results. Dr. Bruce Bugbee from Utah State has excellent info available on the subject

I’ll be honest - I’m totally flirting with the idea of adding a CO2 source to my new tent. I’ve definitely got the light power - HLG Scorpian Diablo(they say you CAN’T run it full blast without CO2) and the tent is in the garage, so not that worried about build up as I can vent the room in the 10 seconds it takes for the openers to do their job and I can control exhaust flow from the other room before I even enter the garage so honestly, it’s very, very tempting.
I saw this kit talked about - can’t remember if it was here or another forum, but they said it did great and they had noticeable differences inside a 4x4 tent, same as I’m using…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBV9P5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve actually ordered the kit. I just can’t decide if I actually want to use it.
I really need to do some edjumacating myself on the subject! :laughing:

1 Like

For CO2 to be effective you will need, besides adequate light, a sealed room to push the partial pressures up. Generally the biggest benefit is during veg. To accomplish this you will have to up your game on environmental control: run an AC split and a dehumidifier to manage high temps and RH. If running a closed system for any length of time you will need to pump O to the roots to avoid suffocating the plant (roots need O). Usually growers with CO2 run hydro to push both air to the roots and insane salt levels (2,000 ppm plus).

Any system that relies on yeast or baking soda is not sufficient to derive any real benefit from CO2. Better to dial in all the other parameters before attempting this.

1 Like

That kit is actually for putting CO2 into aquarium water. I wonder if it wold have any effect to CO2-arate the feed water before giving it to the girls? Obviously you’d lose most of it to the atmosphere through bubbling but some would find it’s way into the liquid in the end.

Things that make you go Hmmmm…

Love it!! I’ve used that so many’s x’s lmao!!

1 Like

I have a way to bring air in from outside (or inside). So, at night I open the knife (closure) and let the free CO2 stream in from the woods.

2 Likes

thank all of you for your information, I do appreciate it.

1 Like

Good luck. Honestly idk how much of a difference you’ll see in PPM of co2 in the air with that kit. Mine’s a 4 liter tank and i have to refill it several times a day to really boost co2 levels. I usually only bother early in veg right after seedling stage, midway through veg (when you usually see growth plateau a bit), and then early during flower. I think early flower showed the most difference in terms of results. They formed faster and grew bigger than they did prior to supplementing co2.

P.S. my tent always has at least slight negative pressure exhausting outside. It’s a 4ftX4ftX6.5ft with a 6in AC Infinity exhaust fan & carbon filter kit.

In the summer I just turn the fan speed controller all the way down and place the co2 line in the top corner opposite of the exhaust fan. That way the co2 sinks (It’s heavier) and flows over all the plants before slowly being drawn out.

Any other season I can shut the fan off completely for an hour or so a couple times a day while I add co2 so they really bathe in it.

Thanks for the info. I decided to try the co2 bags, I think they were the green earth, can’t remember. No one around me, south NJ shore on the bay, has any of the co2 products so I just ordered these on line. I have two fans with filters and so far my two plants are really growing, only about two weeks and they are actually bushes now, getting ready to top.

I supplement w/co2 in a 4x4x7. The difference is very noticable…I run it from last 2 weeks of veg to the 5th week in flower. Then it’s gas off and exhaust 100% to shock the girls Towards ripening… Tent is in an enclosed chamber that’s climate controlled as well. There’s slight positive pressure from ac draft fed from top… 600w LED, UV bar, Co2 bottle, autopilot controller monitor… 20lb at 1000/1500ppm easily lasts entire grow if wanted… currently $38 a fill.

By using gas, I find the girls are less sensitive to all my errors/mistakes(I make a lot of them). They throttle through high heat/humidity like nobody’s business, I can HST in the first 3 wks without worries…nute issues are non existent, as well as pH flux… Oh yeah, and the final is TOP SHELF always…
It’s not as easy as it sounds though… nor cheap… serval means of automations are going to be required to ride the happy Perimeters.
By the way… when I visit them for 5 min. The room can shoot to 3000ppm! So talk to your girls often!

Be very careful. That is a potentially deadly level if exposed to it for too long. There is a member here who lost a friend due to CO2 poisoning from a grow space.

2 Likes

Agreed!!
Human co2ppm’s can take a 4x4 tent to 900/1200 alone… So stepping into the tent that’s already that will double.
There’s an alarm set for 4500…
I wonder if the tragedy occurred on a timed release, and not a monitored controller.