CO2 Liquid Propane 4-Burner Indoor Grow Room Installation

I recently purchased the CO2 Generator attached for my indoor grow room. Not understanding how to use it .
I can up with an installation plan.

This will be lengthy but to be safest I would like to run it by you for input, good or bad.

Known Facts:
The generator is NOT designed for residential use. It is designed to hang inside a green house.
The generator must be install no closer than 24” to a flammable material (especially the ceiling).

The unit measures 11” deep x 14” wide x 22” tall.

The 4-Burners are located just below mid height of the cabinet.

The system requires liquid propane and 24 VDC.

CO2 is heavier than air.

Site description:

Grow room located in center of basement with foundation walls 6’ from the floor inside and 5’ from the ground outside.

A run of ducting needs to be run erotically 5’ up and 20’ horizontally from the generator to the center of the grow rooms chamber ceiling. Rafters run perfectly for ducting.

Installation Plan:

Rest generator on ground on top of concrete slab.

Secure generator to foundation

Construct right and left walls of the “Blow Out”) enclosure using 8” x 8” cinder blocks sealing in walls leaving 1 block rotated exposing the opening for duct work and 24 VDC mid point, rear.

Construct the roof and front access panels mounted on hinges made fro corrugated roofing sheet metal allowing intake ventilation at the panels corrugated ends. Except for the hinged no mortar will be used to prevent damage to the house in the event explosion from the failure of the redundant safety features.

Electrical: Ran 14/2 wire from other side of house to rafters at location. Liquid tight to exterior enclosure outlet for power supply at enclosure duct feed location.

The entire enclosure meets the 24” clearance guidelines.

A 4” duct and in-line blower will draw the CO2 saturated air.

The system will be put on a timer to match the lighting / darkness times.

Please let me know if I am over looking anything.

Sounds to me like you have a great plan. No one can say that it won’t work. I look forward to hearing more about your success. Thanks for sharing.

Make sure that the saturation levels of CO2, never get above 1500 ppm. Peace :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Latewood!
I do know the means of measuring CO2 is expensive. I was planning of winging the saturation level. I already have a 6" intake with blower mounted to basement Florida, twin 4" carbon filter exhaust 2/3’s high in the chamber, twin exhaust fans mirror imaged at ceiling height, circulating fan and an Air Conditioner. I’ a wind tunnel in there. I will install an adjustable damper to the generators enclose to have some control of saturation level.
What are the signs to look for excess CO2?
Thanks.

1 Like

Hmm, this is my only concern… It did say Not for residential use probably because of these following reasons. CO2 is heavier than air, so in a basement you are probably safe, for the most part. The problem with the type of CO2 generator you have, besides the slight possibility of explosion which you’ve already considered, is that as it is creating the CO2 by burning a hydrocarbon gas, CO2 is not the only possible outcome. There were likely some warnings/cautions about CO1 or carbon monoxide. If not, this is still a concern and there should have been at least some mentioning of it. You really need to get some sort of measuring device as well as monoxide detectors, if you don’t already have many throughout your house to be safe. Both CO2 and CO1 are colorless, odorless and can cause suffocation, and CO1 is more dangerous than CO2 for many reasons, it is much harder to get out of the blood stream in an accidental case of breathing a lot of it in than it is for CO2 to get out of the body. Most people are fairly aware of the dangers of CO1 poisoning as it can happen from gas burning heaters in homes and this is why many homes already have CO1/carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure you and your family are safe from this and you should be golden.

1 Like

My apologies for the sketch. My laptop with 2D and 3D software needs repair. I will continue my original plans to vent the chambers outdoors. I did not complete the installation due to it was to be for odor control and the twin carbon filters work fine themselves. I will treat explosion and CO poisoning together as they share the same flow:

Here is some information:

Propane Combustion Characteristics Explained
In order for propane to burn, ignite or go through combustion, the criteria listed above must be met. Below are explanations of propane gas combustion characteristics.
Propane Limits of Flammability - The lower and upper limits of flammability are the percentages of propane that must be present in an propane/air mixture. This means that between 2.15 and 9.6% of the total propane/air mixture must be propane in order for it to be combustible. If the mixture is 2% propane and 98% air, there will not be combustion. If the mixture 10% propane and 90% air, combustion will not occur. Any percentage of propane in a propane/air mixture between 2.15% and 9.6% will be sufficient for propane to burn. However, an improper air/gas mixture can produce Carbon Monoxide (CO) that is a deadly product of incomplete combustion. Flash Point - The flash point is the minimum temperature at which propane will burn on its own after having been ignited. This number states that below -156°F, propane will stop burning on it’s own. In other words, if the outside air temperature is -155°F, propane will burn on it’s own. If the outside air temperature falls to -157°F, propane will no longer burn on it’s own. However, if a source of continuous ignition is present, propane will burn below - 156°F. Ignition Temperate in Air - This number states that propane will ignite if it reaches a temperature between 920-1020°F. If propane is heated up to a temperature between 920 and 1020°F, it will ignite without needing a spark or flame. Maximum Flame Temperature - A propane flame will not burn hotter than 3595°F. Octane Number - Without presenting a chemistry lesson, the Octane number of propane being over 100 means that it is a very engine friendly fuel.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is responsible for almost 25% of all propane related fatalities. Carbon Monoxide is the product of incomplete gas combustion often because appliances are improperly adjusted. Properly functioning propane appliances will produce what is called an “ideal burn” during combustion and present no danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can lead to severe injury and even death.
Combustion Requirements
Three ingredients required for combustion to take place include fuel, ignition and air. Without any one of these three ingredients, combustion will not occur and even still, the ratio of air to gas must be within an acceptable range for combustion to occur. For instance, a mixture made up of equal parts propane and air will not combust when ignition is introduced. With propane, combustion will occur when the gas in air mixture is between 2.2 and 9.6 and is referred to as the “limits of flammability”. In other words, 2.2 parts propane and 97.8 parts air is a combustible mixture as is 9.6 parts propane and 90.4 parts air. Combustion will occur anywhere between these two gas to air ratios with the “ideal burn” being about 4 parts propane and 96 parts air (1:24). This ideal ratio is considered to be the most efficient burn of propane gas when used. Complete combustion of propane is evident by a blue burning flame.
Incomplete Propane Combustion - Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide is produced during the incomplete combustion of propane. Incomplete combustion is defined as within the limits of flammability but higher or lower than the ideal ratio of 4 parts propane 96 parts air. Incomplete propane combustion can occur in one of two ways:
Lean Burn - The ratio of propane to air is less than 4 parts propane. 2.5 parts propane to 97.5 parts air would produce a lean burn. A lean burn can be recognized when flames appear to lift away from the burner and can potentially go out.
Rich Burn - A ratio of propane to air is more than 4 parts propane. 8.5 parts propane to 91.5 parts air would produce a rich burn. Recognizing a rich burn is very simple as the flames are much larger than they are supposed to be and are largely yellow in color.
Several products of incomplete combustion that are easily visible and if noticed, action should be taken immediately. Visible signs of incomplete combustion include burner flame appearance (as listed above), soot collecting on appliance windows such as that of a space heater and excessive water vapors forming on windows and cool surfaces during appliance operation. Appliance service and adjustment is needed if any of these visible signs of incomplete combustion are noticed.

First Alert CO615 Carbon Monoxide Plug-In Alarm with Battery Backup and Digital Display
Plug-in carbon monoxide alarm with battery back-up and digital display
Uses electrochemical carbon monoxide sensor–the most accurate technology available
Simple to use silence/test button
Low battery warning; end-of-life timer
Includes two AA batteries; 7 year limited warrantyK

Carbon monoxide (CO) is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, yet many people don’t know they are suffering from CO poisoning until its too late. Since symptoms of CO poisoning are like the flu, you might not even know you’re in danger at first. That’s why a carbon monoxide alarm is an excellent way to protect your family. It can detect the CO you can’t see, smell or taste in the air.
The First Alert CO615 carbon monoxide alarm uses an electrochemical carbon monoxide sensor-the most accurate technology available. Installation is as simple as plugging it in to any wall outlet. Its easy-to-read backlit digital LED display gives you a clear read-out of current CO concentrations in parts per million. The alarm includes a battery back-up giving you peace of mind in a power outage. The test/silence button both silences a non-threatening alarm or low battery warning and allows you to test the unit’s functionality. The unit monitors and re-alarms if carbon monoxide levels persist sounding a loud 85-decibel horn. An audible and visual low battery signal alerts you to replace the battery and an indicator alerts you when a battery has been removed. An end-of-life alarm of three chirps alerts you to replace the unit. Two AA batteries are included. 7-year limited warranty. UL listed.
L
Liquid Propane (LP) 4 Burner CO2 Generator
Liquid Propane (LP) 4 Burner CO2 Generator
Details
In nature, plants combine water, carbon dioxide (C02), and light into chemical energy that can be used to fuel the plant’s growth and flowering. This process of photosynthesis can be augmented and accelerated by the introduction of more carbon dioxide into a growing environment. Due to an increased C02 intake, plants grow much faster and stronger.
This Liquid Propane (LP) 4 Burner C02 Generator is constructed of resilient powder coated steel. Its precision manufactured clean firing brass burners are rated to cover a 20ft x 20ft (400 sq ft) growing area. A featured solid state electronic ignition module eliminates the need for pilot lighting and the unit features an easy On/Off switch. Hanging hardware is included, as well as a power cord and gas hose with an intake regulator.
4 Burner unit is recommended for a 20ft x 20ft area (400 sq ft) (Grow Room = 240 sq ft.)
Unit is compatible with Liquid Propane (LP) only
16 / CFH
12000 BTU
Dual solenoid valves
Precision manufactured clean firing brass burners
Solid state electronic ignition module - no pilot light necessary
Tip over switch shuts off gas if unit falls or tips over
Convenient On/Off switch
Includes hanging hardware and allen key wrenching
Features gas intake regulator and hose

I will resume the installation of a 4" exhaust from the grow room to the outdoors. It was originally designed for odor control until the twin carbon filters work fine themselves and vent into the house. Ducting in place.

Thank, all input is greatly appreciated, positive and negative
I hope it’s nit too jumbled as copying and pasting on this iPAD sucks.

1 Like

I am glad you appear thoroughly informed. We just want you to be safe and it looks like you are aware of and are taking all proper precautions. Good luck.

Just to add. I found nothing in the literature bout CO. I know it is designed to mount inside a greenhouse where people could work all day. No excuses, just info. Made me surprised also.

Interesting. I guess the way it seems to be designed, it should be in the proper ratio to work correctly and will avoid creating any CO most of the time, but it still is surprising to have pretty much nothing mentioned about it.

I realized that you had a greenhouse Co2 generator, but that is meant for a big greenhouse. Not to mention; Professional greenhouse operators do not “wing it”! This unit could possibly cause serious damage to plants, and humans if all your ventilation fails. I strongly recommend you address the measuring of your Co2 levels, before you fill your basement with this gas.

You can buy a meter device from Milwaukee through a company called eseasongear online, for a very good price. $150-250.

1 Like

Thank for the advice. I got the system functioning and did some PRILIMINARY testing. Added pressure gauge to propane mankind leak testing simple. The CO / explosive gas detector shows no presents of CO or explosive gas (EG). The entire chamber is constantly ventilated through a duct system with twin carbon filters driven by (3) in-line fans. An house Jair supply. An independent CO2 duct system making the entire chamber a standalone ststem with utilities. The CO2 generator is set on a timer. Between a (to be )purchased CO2 meter and the CO / EG detector it is a matter or dampers and timer adjustment will make maintaining ~ 1500 ppm.

Sorry. i could not read all the above info tonight; However, I want to say I read enough to realize that I need to chime in. Teh greenhouse that unitis designed for is approx. 4500sf. It is also used in conjunction with 54" exhaust fans tuned into the environment wanted for the crop being grown.

whe \n you are talking saturation levels; a grow room is an inth… of a greenhouse. Lastly; Do not ever allow your atmospheric ppm lever\ls get beyond 1500. Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The CO2 system is now fully functional. I have the program set to 15 minutes of saturating the outside air supply with CO2 (up to 1400 ppm) and recirculating for 30 minutes throughout the chamber before dispersing it to to outside and repeat the cycle during lights “ON” times.
The CO and explosive gas sensor only registered readings and alarmed during the testing process.
Getting ready to go hydroponic. With the “High Test” CO2 and bubble buckets look good to me. Already working on refrigerated reservior system for year round growing.

1 Like