CMH red Spectrum

Why does it say online that HPS has a better red Spectrum or more red light for flowering than CMH ? Every single article i can find slams CMH and says while they do have a better blue spectrum and are cheaper to run they lack in red making them not so good for flowering?

1 Like

Welcome to ILGM forum. I don’t know alot about either lighting system. I do know blue spectrum is better for Veg and red is needed more for flower.

1 Like

You can still change the bulbs in the cmh to a 3100k bulb but the HPS has a heavier red spectrum. @dbrn32 I’m not hip on hooded fixtures

1 Like

Spd for eye hortilux super 1000

Spd for Phillips master color 315 in 3100k.

Did anyone actually present the data in any of those articles?

3 Likes

these are both 600w HPS globes.

now this is my CMH Globe… in this graph is this showing a much higher red spectrum and every spectrum than any HPS light? Anyway that’s what I run ^^ and I was reading that HPS had more red… I used to use HPS. And then some guys talked me into CMH and they said mate its all bullshit the things they say. I was told that my cmh lights will out perform any HPS lights. Going of just the data provided the spectrum for my lights is higher in red and longer in red and higher and longer in every spectrum than any HPS globe even more then the DE HPS globes? I dunno anyway theyre made by a Japanese company called I think Bespoke or something.

1 Like

Check out that spectrum !!!^!^!^!^!!! Gangsta or what. Thats CMH.

1 Like

I was gunna go and add some HPS into for a mixed spectrum for some extra red… and then i read the graphs and it shows more red and more everything in my CMH Bespoke globes then any HPS i can find and ive ran all of them. I dont even bother mixed spectrum. Not for red anyway.

1 Like

They feel slower in veg although im told they’re faster but i could swear they’re slower and smaller so far. We’ll see. Lotta crossover.

1 Like

I would agree with this in most scenarios. Cmh has higher efficacy than hps, so more photons per watt. And it’s important to note that spectral distribution graph doesn’t indicate light intensity levels, just how much of each wavelength in comparison to the others. Most of the people working on stuff like this seem to be suggesting that your intensity is more important than light spectrum we’re using now anyway.

One thing that people confuse often is that taller plants appear to be growing more. During ti the extremely imbalanced spectral distribution of hps light internodal elongation is more common, this makes appear to be growing more when in most cases it’s just taller. Plant growth should be considered with amount of new nodes and leaves produced, not based on amount of stretch seen in plants.

2 Likes

Can you see intensity do you think? Cause these lights are blinging i gotta wear sunglasses anywhere near them. I didn’t need to with HPS. But with CMH I’ll have spots in my vision for 10 minutes after not looking at them or anything.

2 Likes

Kinda. That is usually the blue wavelengths that make that crisp eye piercing white. Hps have very little, but mh, cmh, and some leds have a lot.

2 Likes