Closet Transformation DIY

Those would be dimmable, just not the veg light. Hlg series driver ending in “A” have built in potentiometer. Will drop current to about 50% of nameplate current.

1 Like

Lol thanks! Now I see for what stands the A. Ok time to work on this projects.

1 Like

Sorry to disturb you again! The eb 3 are not in stock where I live outside US but the eb 2 are.

Please can you confirm me that the same numbers of strips of eb 2 will work on the same drivers but with less efficiency? Which means:

7 x 560mm eb gen 2 on meanwell lpc-100-700
9 x 560mm eb gen 2 on hlg-185h-c1050a

Is it worth to add one more strip to the first setup (will make it 108w) and upgrade the lpc-100-700?

Thanks again :pray:

1 Like

They will work almost interchangeably. If you post part number of what you’re buying i can make sure we’re both on same page though.

Probably not. What is operating voltage of country you are in? The US is 120v, next driver up is only good on 220v or higher. Increase of 1 strip doesn’t make sense to do that. Or you can go hlg series driver at 150 watt, cost is double and you don’t need a light that big.

1 Like

‎BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3‎
‎BXEB-L0560Z-50E2000-C-B3

It is 220V here but if it not a worth for just one strip, I will stick on the 100-700.

I would like to know in base of what you choose the mA of a driver hehe. I know that those strips have a range from 700 to 1400. But why 700 mA for 7 and 1050 for 9? Hehe sorry I am asking a lot

1 Like

The maximum current is 1400ma. So by rights the acceptable current could be lower than 700ma too. But, I selected 700ma for veg light so you could fit extra couple of strips on there to increase coverage. Going to the bigger light that wasn’t as big of deal because it’s already using more strips. If I selected lpc-100-1050 would only run 4 strips, 7 provides a lot better coverage for your area.

1 Like

If I understood well! The choices of the Amperage is a balance between efficiency, coverage and heat dissipation for each setup. Wasn’t easy lol.

1 Like

More or less.

1 Like

More or less means that I am missing something lol.

So I did my scientific readings, first time on this topic. I figured out that in AC

A = W/PF×V; where PF = power factor

Basically PF is almost the real power over the apparent power.

Higher PF, near to 1, will give me more output voltage running more light strips at lower amperage. Since the amperage is inversely proportional to the voltage.

At the end you can know how many lights of 24V you can run dividing PF×V over 24.

Thanks bro for leading me to do this research! :v:

1 Like

If you want to simplify the term power factor, it is pretty much used to indicate the efficiency of the unit. It’s not the most direct way to get to what you’re looking for.

The formula for watts is volts*amps. If you plugged a light into a measuring device like killawatt this is what you would see. It would be a total power consumed by your leds and power losses of the circuit.

I wanted to respond because I feel like you are looking way deeper into this than you should. Meanwell gives you the output voltage and current of each power supply. In terms of sizing leds to driver, this is all you need. You just have to understand that the circuit will consume more power than you actually have in leds.

That will not get you to where you want to be with circuit i spec’d for you

1 Like

In a series circuit the current at each load will remain the same and the voltage of each load will be additive to total circuit voltage. The constant current region of driver i selected for your flower lights is 95vdc-190vdc, as shown in screenshot

Screenshot_20201020-091745_Chrome

The forward voltage of eb gen2 is about 20v at 1050ma. Knowing you have to be above 95v total and below 190v total, you can simply divide strip voltage into those totals. So you need at least 5 strips and no more than 9 strips.

1 Like

Thanks for completing this amazing explanation! Everything is clear now.

Science is in my blood. I couldn’t stay totally ignorant on this topic. Really enjoyed it!

1 Like