Closet Growers Assistance Please

The diagram is of my grow space and I am thinking about converting the closet on the right into two separate spaces. A framed partition will be installed. The larger will be roughly 2 x 5 flowering area with two scrogs. The smaller area will primarily be for seedlings. clones and possibly a clone mother. Not sure how to organize this area. I am thinking shelves so looking for help here.
The area through the door is currently garage space. I will be partitioning a section off for the stuff I take out of the closet. It will be heated with A/C either from existing system or by adding portable AC and heat.

I am hoping to draw air from this newly partitioned area into the new closet.
Due to space constraints and accessibility I can not have / want swing doors.
I will need to run more power to this area. Fortunately, a near by panel has an open slot.
I am keeping all grow related activities to the existing space for privacy and security purposes.
I am looking for :+1: :-1: on the overall concept.
Besides the mechanical stuff that needs to be addressed I am looking for options for light control. Not sure what some viable options are.
So if you grow in a closet (literally) any feedback, suggestions will be appreciated.
@Hellraiser @AutoMattik @Nicky @AfgVet

5 Likes

Sounds good
For the clone/mother area I would notch a bunch of slide in shelf holders with solid plywood/osb.
This gives you the ability to change your space depending on what your doing, like oven rack style but of course solid Incase you want them on different light scedules (as a mother would be different then seedlings)
As for swinging doors that’s fine make a sliding door with 3 sections not 2! Because you’ll be able to give yourself more space if you need it with 3 sections when it’s in the open position. Thst or you can try and find one of those accordion doors they put in closets sometimes.
If your growing photos you may end up putting blackout curtains up after whatever door you choose because of the light sensitivity of them just keep that in mind.

2 Likes

Sounds and looks good. You want to automate all your lighting? Peace

1 Like

I want to automate the raising of the lights lol

3 Likes

I put a ring camera in my big flower tent. Just to watch. Lol

2 Likes

Lol I seen the odd person do that.

I want to get a new tent and filter but covid is draining everyone’s bank accounts

2 Likes

Thankfully I am working and have plenty of it. I feel for everyone who doesn’t.

1 Like

I’m working now but only worked 4 months since March.

1 Like

@nicky @AutoMattik I am am thinking of something more flexible like Orca or Panda film with zippers, velcro

@anon47338222 in the Best Lights for Mom thread you mentioned you have a mini split. I am considering one for the space that I am adding on to my grow space. I describe the addition in post #1 as partitioning off a section of the existing garage. The actual space will not be large. Maybe 8 x 8 and is intended to serve as an additional conditioned air source for my grow area. So if you don’t mind, are you satisfied with its performance (does it do what you want it to do?) How long have you used it? What size areas is it designed for. Single or dual control? May I ask size, brand, model and if you would recommend it? Otherwise thinking of keeping it simple and using a portable AC as needed.
Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Beardless, I love these things and researched a lot on them for months actually before I bought them. All three of mine are Senvilles 1 18000 btu and 2 24000 btu. For the price they were well worth it. Runs on 240 volts 20 amp breaker they never really ever shut off they just ramp up and ramp down. I installed all three myself learned a lot about nitrogen usage and brazing. For a 8,x8’ room if buy a smaller one like 9000btu maybe even a 12000 btu…Been about 2 yrs now no issues. I bought these just for the summer I don’t use the heat option just for cooling I use 2500 watt cadet wall heaters which never really run because I’m insulated to the hilt. Only down fall I can see is that you can’t run the cooling when it’s under 63 degrees outside or the lines will freeze up. Now if you need the heat from it will run like 5 degrees F. But seeen videos of guys running them below -0 but like I said I don’t use it for heat reverb in the winter I have heat issues so run intake for winter. Regarding portable Acs they didn’t have good reviews but never had one so personally have no clue on them maybe someone can chime in on those.

Oh, also I have a 14’x14’ or 14’x16’ veg room ( can’t recall measurements getting old lol) and flower rooms 20’x20’ …I could have gotten away with a 12000 btu in veg and two 18000btus in flower but my thoughts at the time were if one went down the other could take over in case of a failure… Calculations online to figure squat size you need to to lights and ballasts, and other grow room equipment. Everything runs is “heat” so you can’t go buy regular room calculations for how much btu you need. Hope this helps sorry once again for a book :man_facepalming:

I really appreciate the information. I am handy enough with saw and hammer but hate electrical stuff. But that is what sons are for. Even though we have plenty of zero degree days during winter I am primarily concerned with high temps and humidity in the grow space.
Portable AC is a mixed bag from what I can tell. Me being the electrical wizard I am, the plug and play ability is a nice feature. Need to do my research. Thanks again. Sounds like you are set up nicely. I grow for my wife and the fun of growing this stuff. Looking for a little more space to play around with in my retirement years.

1 Like

So it wasnt to bad but doing it myself I saved thousands from having someone’s do it’ plus Mitsubishi and an install the price was crazy so researched cheaper brands this is what I came up with plus there service people in Canada we’re always available when I’ve called and parts are also available…Nothings cheap anymore not even groceries :joy:

One more thing, if you do get a portable Ac let me know how it fairs because I’m going to build another veg room like 10’x10’ and will be ok this winter with exhaust and intake with controller but for summer I’d consider just for that room.

gotta scratch that itch. Will do. You can check out my journal at An auto, three photos and a clone
Like I said. Just knocken around enjoying it. I’m DIY when I can. The last house addition I hired a carpenter and I was his assistant. Converted existing garage into family living space and added on a garage that is bermed 7’, deep enough for my workshop turned grow space, park my boat length wise and fit the truck in front. So I could hitch and go. Sold the boat so have space to play with.

1 Like

Nice job my friend. Was more interested in your bread and tomato :tomato: but ty :joy:

1 Like