Cloning without rooting gels

Does anyone have experience with taking clones. I made a bubblecloner. Or what I assume to be one, using some stuff I had laying around. I didn’t have any cloning gel, or powder. Although I do have some Black Label Root Enhance. I don’t know if that helps. Ive heard of people using it in their aerocloners and working.
Anyways, I have had them in the dome for about a week now. No signs of rooting yet, They are just now starting to yellow up a bit.
My question is, have any of you tried to clone without rooting gel or see positive results trying to do so in a bubblecloner?

You don’t have to use rooting hormone, it just makes it easier. It should take about two weeks before you’ll see roots. I’ve never used a bubble cloner. You can also use aloe as a root enhancer.

4 Likes

I used aloe and put straight into soil and had success never used a bubble cloner

4 Likes

Yea I heard about using aloe as a root enhancer. I just made the bubblecloner cause I had the stuff laying around. I knew you could do it without root enhancer, I just didn’t know if there was a lower success rate or if it took longer to root. Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I think it’s true that there’s a lower success rate without it, but with the bubble cloner you should have better success.

2 Likes

Raw organic honey works great for me :+1:

3 Likes

Never used a bubblecloner but have taken clones. I use a cloning powder available at most gardening stores or online. Recently I started misting a mixture of superthrive before and after and using moisture domes to keep humidity up. The last clones I took all had 100% survival compared to hit and miss without it superthrive.

Before dipping the cuttings into the powder, I scrape the thin layer of skin off of the stem of the potential clone and split the end.

1 Like

I was reading superthrive doesnt really do much, or some people having a harder time with it.

1 Like

To each his/her own. I’m not disagreeing with you, I enjoy reading other peoples experiences. I’m not saying my way is a end all way and I hope you didn’t perceive it as such. In my experience it’s been a matter of changing tactics to achieve progression. Lots of variables to look at. Some strains just do better at cloning as an example.

Can you describe the strategy you use (or plan to use) with the improvised bubblecloner?

1 Like

Well for superthrive to work, wouldn’t the plant need roots to uptake it? I am not saying it doesn’t work. Just, your plant isn’t going to uptake anything without any roots, unless you foliar spray it.
I have read of people having success with it also so im not saying it doesn’t work. I even have some.
Really just cut the clones and stick them in the bubble cloner. I have never cloned anything before so I don’t really have any stradegy except to keep the environment in the best possible conditions I can.

1 Like

If I could find the misters close by I would do an aerocloner,

I dont know why I didnt call the place down the street, I guess they have rooting hormone, so would I be able to add it on after its been about a week?

I would just toss those and take some new ones. Cut them with a razor blade and quickly dip the in the gel. The key is not to let them suck air up the stem. Small ones tend to work better. About 3 inches tall, because the stem is not woody yet. Keep the peat cubes (or whatever) sitting in a bit of half-strength grow nutrient solution, and mist the leaves with that every 6 hours. Keep it in a dome to increase the humidity. Spray the dome as well. That’s what I do with 100% success. 15 days: roots galore, plant cubes in beer cups.

3 Likes

I use raw, organic honey.

4 Likes

Are use a 5 gallon bucket filling up with water to where it’s just barely touching the route put a milk crate over the top of it and turn a bubbler on in the water it will root within a few weeks nothing needed but bubbles and water aloe works great too

3 Likes

Not that it adds much to the conversation, but the cuttings do uptake moisture without roots. So whatever you’d add to the water would get taken up with it.

2 Likes

Another vote for aloe.
After reading here, I tried it, and had complete success.
I took my cuttings, soaked them in water with the juice of a leaf squeezed into it for 24 hours. Then, poked the stem into a cut leaf and put it into a rooting cube. Heat mat, and covered tray and 100% rooting.
The plants were healthy and strong.

2 Likes

Not saying you’re wrong, but can you post where I can find info on that, most everything I’ve read says that isnt true. That is why you mist the clones.

Not going to toss them, especially if they are suppose to root after 2 weeks and it’s only been 1, might as well wait it out and see. If I dont see anything happen after next week or so, I’ll try again.

When you cut flowers, you put them in water. They do suck it up through the cut stems. You can even put dye in the water and make exotic colored cut carnations, etc. Sucking water in through the roots (or in this case the cut stem, is driven by transpiration at the leaf. Water evaporates and more gets sucked up by capillary action. If you have a cut stem sitting in water, it can suck in nearly as much as a full set of roots. Roots just extend the water-sucking part of the plant to much more volume of medium. Some growers flush their in-ground plants by cutting the stem and putting the whole plant in a bucket of water for a week!

Knowing that, I still do both: The cut stem sits in a wet rooting cube that has 1/2 strength grow nutes around it’s base. Then I mist the leaves with the same 1/2 strength nute solution, and mist the dome walls every 6 hours to keep the humidity up. They never stop sprouting new leaves, and after 15 days the sides of the rooting cubes are covered with roots.