Cloning with aloe Vera

Very good. I like the idea myself.

1 Like

I like the way you clipped the ends of some of your leaves. I know why you did it.

@Mrcrabs @Skydiver @Hellraiser

So, the clones doubled in height, outgrew the dome… so I transplanted them (pic below looking healthy - stole hellraiser’s pic idea lol) 3 days ago. I used mykos, azos, some myko wettable powder (per their instructions), popped them in and watered. Now they are looking a bit on the saggy side - granted this is one hour before lights out, but they’ve lost the lift the leaves had and have been saggy for a solid day. I trimmed off the lower leaves close to the ground, and the discolored ones from the cal/mag issue the mother plant has. Is this just transplant shock?

The other ladies still have the cal/mag issue - trying some xtreme gardening CalCarb right now.

4 Likes

Pics posted out of order - the first and last are the oldest pics. 2nd one is the transplant day. 3rd and 4th are today.

Roots were coming out all the holes in the solo cups - didn’t want to chance root damage…

1 Like

They will settle down. Will work on establishing roots and then work on top growth. I’m not seeing the calcium issue you are but if in fresh soil shouldn’t be of concern for now.

1 Like

The calcium issue is with the mother plant - 2 of the the clones initially had some leaves with deficiency damage, or I thought that’s what it was lol.

Wish I’d taken pics of the root balls, they were impressive, worried I’d overdone the azos / mykos dusting. Think I’ll make some aloe boosted water for them on the next watering in a few days. The xtreme gardening sample pack has some tea as well I want to try out, but will likely do that in the established ladies…

Appreciate the reassurance, hoping to flip everything in 2.5 - 3 weeks. Have some Cali dream, sky walker og, blue dream, and gold leaf on the way :sunglasses:

1 Like

And in fresh soil - ffhf, had some issues with ffof being too acidic.

1 Like

If you have some oyster shells top dress that but it’s slow to work
Also can use dolomite lime top dressed that is quicker Acting and will raise the soil ph up.

2 Likes

Yea, it took a few weeks to get the pH up from 5.26 using dolomite limestone - I’ve had a rough start to my first grow lol… hellraiser helped a lot with cal/mag def advice. Sadly, the fight continues with those two ladies lol. Have a third that looks perfect from what I can tell - successfully fimmed it, looks like a level bush.

Have you tried egg shells for calcium? Seems kinda iffy to me, but I know zip…

I have used egg shells on tomatoes. They love calcium.

1 Like

Nice, preciate that @jetlag ! How do you crush them up?

You really don’t want to know, lol. I break the whole egg in the hole and stick the root on top.

1 Like

I save my egg shells and when I have enough I stick them in the blender and turn them into a powder and use that as top dress…slow release as the critters need to eat it and poop it out so plant can use it.
With a worm bin and compost bin I don’t throw away anything except plastic trash etc.
there are many things you can use to feed critters/plants like banana peels, urine, used coffee grounds and on and on…

6 Likes

@Skydiver solution is probably better as the crushed shells should be easier for the plants to uptake. Something else I learned, again with the tomatoes and trying to prevent tomato end rot caused partly by low calcium, was to stick a couple of “Tums” antacid tablets in the soil near the roots. No, I am not making this up lol, go look it up in YouTube . They are almost pure calcium carbonate. I did all this along with foliar spraying of Epson salts, and still some of the little buggers came down with the end rot!! I have a few late plants coming up now, just sprayed them 2 days ago.

1 Like

Yep a solution of shells and vinegar Soaked and then strained after it finishes gives quick Feed of calcium but I don’t use it that way as I add enough oyster shells Crab meal and gypsum etc so haven’t had really any Ca issues as of late.
I just use them raw as a slow release to use them up when I don’t use in worm bin or compost etc. this way it’s in there as reserve etc.

6 Likes

Just transplanted some Aloe Vera babies, will take pics later. Have been crushing a couple of leaves and dunking in the feed water for the girls. best I can figure they add about 100PPM’s to the water.

@Mrcrabs @Skydiver @jetlag would you trim the ends of this leaf to ensure it doesn’t touch soil? About 1 inch off the ground…

3 Likes

Not necessary in my opinion as small as the plant is you want all the solar panels working. If leaf touches soil it may look bad etc but no biggie. Once it’s bigger you’ll want to defoliate but without pic on entire plant can’t tell her size other than from previous pics

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s exactly why I didn’t want to cut it - just moved some of the dirt away from under that leaf… trimmed a couple new growths off the bottom. Looking much better than a couple days ago, I think. Thanks again for the advice!!!

4 Likes

@Skydiver soild my man… he’s gots you covered… @Keetz

5 Likes