Cloning tips needed!

Well i’m going to try my first attempt at cloning. Just recieved my rapid rooters and clone x. Have a heat mat with humidity dome, hope thats all i need to get it going. I think i’ve got a pretty good idea of what to do but a quick refresher course may not be a bad idea. @Borderryan22 @beardless @Covertgrower @Hellraiser @MeEasy @merlin44 @MattyBear

4 Likes

I will follow along and pick up some tips along with you. I have been successful at cutting and rooting clones, but just barely. I can only improve from where I am.

3 Likes

Humidity and sterilization are the key. Cuttings do not have roots so they take in moisture from the air.

I always cut a 90 degree angle at the bottom and scrap the stems. Then remove unnecessary extra growth. Cuttings go into water or soil with no more then 2-3 nodes.

Take HEALTHY cuttings. You want them strong and sturdy. Good luck!

10 Likes

@jdw I used just what you have for years … the one trick is once you cut your clone dip it and get in in the rapid rooter fast…at this point in time air exposure is not good for the clone

4 Likes

THANKS for the info. Do i need to cut the tips of the leaves on the cuttings? Also do i just dip into the clone x?

1 Like

I always do lately. Its not necessary as Ive had them root either way.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m not a cloner so I’ll be no help to ya here

Thanks anyway

2 Likes

You can hold them in a glass of water for a week or so if you need to. Take more cuttings than you need and use the extras if they don’t take. It also lets you relax a little bit and do your trimming and cloning separately.

3 Likes

@PurpNGold74 has you covered. That’s how I cut my clones :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Oof, sorry growmie, never cloned before. Still pretty fresh myself. I appreciate the tag. Looks like you got it covered!

1 Like

Key statement from @PurpNGold74 is sterilization. (Be crazy clean). I wear gloves and wash tools and blades in alcohol. I use a rooting compound also.
Clipping the leaves wont do much but dies discourage leaf growth on trimmed leaves.
Don’t put clones under light as you would for a rooted plant. Too much light promotes leaf growth instead of roots that you need. Use low power CFL or indirect lighting.
An alternative is to buy or build a hydro-cloner. Also works great as long as everything get sterilized between uses.

2 Likes

Excellent point! I try to hide clones in the bathroom in a closet… the door to it cracked slightly thru the day and wide open overnight. That ambient light is plenty enough

2 Likes

I’ve even kept cuttings in the fridge for up to 3 weeks in a ziploc bag.

3 Likes

Almost 18 months ago I asked Mr @Hellraiser which cutting makes a better clone w/ higher survival rate. I noted the response.

When first cut I put them in water so the stem doesn’t dry.
When I have collected what I want I recut the stem. Dip in rooting hormone then return to water. Let them hang a day or two. After that I stick them in whatever medium I am growing in. Coco or I have use peat. I pack it into trays, water the medium, punch a hole in it with a pencil and stick the cutting in it. Make sure the stem is in total contact with the medium. Put a dome over it and crossed my fingers.
These are purple haze on 5/27 and cut 5/19.

Nothing fancy. Generally had good luck with it. I cut more than I need or want just in case some don’t make it. Then selected the strongest of those that do.

4 Likes

Here is what works for me mason jar and tap water don’t judge me

6 Likes

Whatever works!!!

1 Like

Make your cuts with a good sharp razor. You wanna keep those capillaries and veins in the stem open and not crushed closed like with scissors or something.

2 Likes

I watched a couple of YouTube videos last week. One guy 5 cuttings I think, the guy in the other video had 7. They tried different things, trimming leaves, leaving leaves on, leaving nothing but the top, using dark glass, using clear glass, etc. He put them in tap water & set them on a window sill. Every cutting in both videos grew roots. Sometimes we try to over engineer things.

2 Likes