Cloning Question from first timer

at or near 72f have to remember they can’t provide themselves more water so evaporation is the enemy which is also why low light intensity and dome of some sort. I don’t mist or foliar feed I find that if you get hard starting clones misting just promotes mildew and actually hinders plants need to root

2 Likes

Thx @Donaldj I will lower the temp., that will also bring up the rH a bit as well.

I am up in the air regarding misting and foliar feeding due to the conflicting opinions on the subject. So far a minimalist approach has worked for me. I do look in on them several times each day but I do as little to them as possible. No leaf removal, etc.

If these clones don’t root within a couple of weeks, I will try again with this grow and then wait until the next one to try again. This is my first grow, so no great loss if I can’t get the clones going just yet. Still learning the basics.

2 Likes

@merlin44 @Donaldj has you covered brother

2 Likes

I clone constantly and have a system I don’t change for simplicity and the fact it just works I am certain there are things I can improve but if it works :wink:

6 Likes

I have read the articles in the “Guides” section of this site. Have you documented the details of your procedures? If so, are you interested in sharing them? @Donaldj

It would also be helpful for others, I am sure.:writing_hand:

3 Likes

Just for picture reference since I have changed space and went to neglect favored cloning approach. I start with cold water nothing special this I use to shock cuttings into slowed transpiration (reduced water movement) preventing accidental air embolism. Select cuttings using scissors remove from mother and place straight into cold water always take more than you want :wink: prep your tray I add 1/2" of hydroton to bottom of tray fill with just enough water to have 1/4" in bottom. With Rockwool I soak in blocks in 5.5 ph’d water Rapid rooters simple RO or neutral ph water. Take cuttings from cold water 1 at a time trim large fan leaves and clip tips off smaller fan leaves, with razor take a diagonal cut through a node and dip in either powder or cloning gel. Using rapid rooters push deep into pod just shy of bottom and place in tray with Rockwool pierce a hole with nail you want a tight fit so hole in them rarely works :wink: repeat until all cuttings are in tray.
Place dome on tray with vents closed : here’s the hard part place tray in space either under low intensity t5’s or lower light area of grow space. Forget it is there for 5 days if there is condensation on dome they have enough water don’t peak open vent 1/4 and leave dome on. They should look like small plants not super droopy but not overly wilted fan leaves may discolor this is normal it is plant converting energy and a positive sign :slight_smile: Day 8 remove dome and take a peak be gentle some may be rooted? make sure there’s still some water in bottom of tray open vents 1/2 and leave check again at 10 days by then should see roots or have signs they are rooting. A tug test can be done but gently if they haven’t started to root they come right out of pods
I leave clones in try until roots are coming out of pods regardless I just open vent.
DSCN1209

DSCN1179
No misting no foliar feeds just patience :wink:
keep temps low 70’s and neglect :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

ignore the algae they were going into soil so I didn’t worry much about it lmao

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the effort @Donaldj. This will be a big help…

I hope that all of the new growers that are looking to clone see and read this. I am adding it to my “growing” :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: collection of procedures and processes.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have written this and posted it about 10-15 times in last couple of years and still get asked often so I don’t over think it anymore I know I will get same question in a month or 2 either way :wink:

4 Likes

Lol Algae is easy fresh hydroton and add peroxide I have been using same tray for months

1 Like

Hey @merlin44 I’m behind in the time zones but here. Everyone have really solid advice and you’re in great hands. When cloning I’ve pretty much did the same things as everyone else in this thread has done to keep them alive.
Not trying to repeat everything, so I’ll cover what I do differently.
When I take the cutting, I cut at a 45° on the end, then split it down the middle about 1/4” long. Dip the cutting in clonex. I prefer to use peat plugs if you’re in soil. Since I’ve went hydro, I’ve just stuck them in a cloning collar.
I recommend foliage feeding, it keeps them getting some nutrients that way, because they have no roots. They tend to perk up after a day or so. No need to panic unless it’s wilted over, and most has no structural integrity anymore.
You should get roots in about 8-10 days is the average I would say for myself.
I just took clones and posted in my journal, these cuttings were taken Saturday. I’ll tag you with every update. So you can see. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Excellent @Covertgrower , please do tag me in, I really appreciate it.

Everyone has been very helpful as always.
I just popped home to put my clones under 24/0 lighting and to reduce the temperature as @dbrn32 suggested.

Three of the six have perked up a little bit since this morning. They don’t exactly look healthy but they are no longer laying nearly on the dirt. The other three are looking a bit better but not yet standing up.

I also stopped by a local supply store and picked up some rock wool cubes and will use them when I take cuttings from the White Widow plants in a few days.

Thanks again @Countryboyjvd1971 @Covertgrower and @dbrn32 for having everyone’s back. :grin::+1:

5 Likes

@donaldj Should I get some hydroton for my cloning tray/dome? I grow in soil.

What is the advantage of using the hydroton in my cloning chamber?
I am currently using a damp sponge to keep the humidity up.

@Covertgrower @Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32 , any thoughts here?

1 Like

I use a different style tray that’s designed specifically for rapid rooters, so I’m not 100% sure. But I believe the hydroton is to keep bottom of your containers from being soaked, which will hamper root growth. The theory is you want them to go search for water, not be satisfied with water sitting in bottom.

5 Likes

@merlin44 I don’t think you need hydroton. Did you place them in the peat plugs? Or in soil?
You can also mist the inside of your humidome and the bottom to keep humidity up.

1 Like

@Covertgrower the clones that I just started are in solo cups and soil.

I just purchased some rock wool cubes for my next clone set and want to be properly prepared. It will be a few days before I take cuttings from the WW’s. This is another whole new process for me to learn.

I’ve placed clones in the soil after the clonex dipping. I’m not sure why, but the ones I put in soil took a little longer. I prefer peat plugs then placed in soil. It’ll work just the same. Lots people have used rock wool with great results. I haven’t used it. @merlin44

1 Like

From donaldj’s photos and description I assume that when I see roots at the bottom of the rock wool, I then just put that into my soil and we are off to the races.

3 Likes

Hey @donaldj this is a great tutorial. I just purchased a block of rock wool cubes. Haven’t opened them and I am at work. Do they come with the sides wrapped or do you wrap them with something?
I assume that the two reasons for the wrap are to keep light off of the new roots and to have a place to write stuff. Is this correct?

1 Like

@merlin44 yes that is correct.

1 Like