Cloning made easy with SICK

Here is the clone method I use for cloning plants you want to keep around. It’s simple and effective, and I always have 95 to 100% success rates.

First off you need to prep the pots or cups that your clones are going to be going in. For me, I use coco(no perlite) and I precharge it with the nutrients I use.

The next step is the most important to me. Because what’s the point of keeping a plant around if you dont know which plant it is. LABEL EVERYTHING!!!

Now your ready to take cuts. For a small operation whenever your only cloning a few cuts you dont need any cup of water to avoid air pockets inside the stems. If your taking 20 or more clones you should have a cup of water to place the cuttings in while your selecting your clones.

Whenever your taking your selecting your clones, make sure your getting ones that have at least 2 nodes on them.

After you cut the clone off the plant you want the plant to focus on roots. So to do that you want to cut the tips off of the fan leaf. This is going to make the plant focus its energy into rooting rather then growing the leaf.

The final step for me is to lightly shave the stalk to expose fresh tissue. This is going to make it easier for the plant to produce new roots.

BEFORE

AFTER

At this point some growers like to dip the clone in clonex or great white mycorrhizae. I personally don’t and I never have an issue. I do however, run tribus in my nutrient feedings so it’s already soaked into the coco.

Once the clones are in the ground you need to actually spray the leafs with R/O water preferably but tap water works fine too. Keep the clones under a dome just like you would a seedling and set your lights to a 20/4 cycle. Keep your plants misted daily as they have no roots to uptake water.

The clones will wilt a bit but that’s nothing to worry about. The next thing your going to start looking for in about a week is the bottom fan leafs should start fading. This is a good thing, that means the clone is alive and eating its reserves until it establishes a proper root zone.

Once you see new growth you can transplant to the final home.

18 Likes

This is important, and after they have roots, stop spraying! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Always keen to learn in preparation for my next clone run! :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Personally, every time I have shaved the stems, The clone hasn’t made it. I’ve done splitting the bottom,shaving and every other method out there. I have found if I don’t mess with the stem in any way that I get 100% success. I do use clonex though.
I have a run of about 60 going right now but they are only 5 days in. One strain (White Gold)is harder to clone than the others have been. In the last batch (only 12) I had 2 failures. they started rooting and just didn’t take. They were from a already flowering group.

4 Likes

Ok so I have a question. If it’s in flower can I clone? Also do I cut the flower off ? So I did a cut on a plant that I really want to clone. The color is amazing, but I bought clone powder and put mykos in the hole as well. Capped it so the humidity stays I also have been misting it. Only has been a couple days leaves look a bit wilted steam is still strong. I hoping for the best. Any other info would be great. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@imSICKkid

@imSICKkid Thanks for drawing that all out for us! This is exactly how I take cuttings of other plants, so, good to hear your process is something familiar to me Also, someone asked about cloning from a flowering plant, and I tried it… and basically failed lol I’ll give cloning a shot in the future :wink: but from a newly established plant
:v:

1 Like