Cloning from your tops?

You’ probably want to tape the top too, the white plastic is probably letting a lot of light through as well.

Gah that sounds exhausting, I think i’ll just toss the whole thing. :wink:

So today, right now, I took a few more cuttings from the OG (Original girl) my very first plant, it’s been bare and in the corner of my room and I plan to put it outside once the weather gets better but I noticed it has all these new shoots coming from the bottom of it so I was like well heck that’s like giving me test subjects…

So what I did was, cleaned my scissors, cut (my best 45 degree angle) and then put them directly into a glass of unfortunately tap water, after taking three cuttings I decided it would not hurt if I throw some rooting ‘dust’ in there with them so I dumped a bit and stirred, let them soak, then I placed them into 3 conveniently waiting peak moss pucks and into my humidity dome. I then gave everything a good misting with a spray bottle and put the top on. We shall see how they do.

Did you put or dip you cutting into the power…Please say yes

Will

I did not, that was more or less part of my experiment as I just got two other clones to root using a store bought rooting powder. I wanted to see how these guys did (I figure out of 3 at least one should root naturally?) since I have heard from a lot of people it doesn’t really make a difference, which I believe it likely does but I wanted to see what happens.

These are the cuttings I took, I figure maybe this fresh new growth will root easier. We shall see.

Ok I got ya
Yes it dose make a difference big time.
Remember the clones I put in water to see if they would root, well they didn’t make it’ Only two I could save, so I recut dipped in rooting power and placed them in rock wool cubes

Will

If I were using a bubbler; I would definitely invest in No-Wilt, or Miracle Grow Leaf shine. You spray this on your clones as soon as you place them in a rooting cube or system Thiese products provide the cutting with a waxy type liqyud, and allows the plant to stand up and thrive without the use of a humidity dome.

2 big points when taking clones. 1… PLace them immediately in a vessel of water. This will keep you from getting an air embolism as mentioned above. 2… Before placing in medium or system; Dip the ends in a rooting powder,

Leaf shine and rooting powder is available at any garden center. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’em going to get some tonight, I have never of this but if you say so…i’em on it
And once again, Thank You… Oh by the way Latewood, how you doing getting better I hope

Will

Weeeelllllpppp, this morning before work I decided to dip them after your comment got me thinking. I decided to was more important to have more plants than to do some testing right now. I am pretty sure the clones I took for hydro are a lost cause, the three I took yesterday seem to be doing just fine though. Unfortunately since I was working for 10 hours I was unable to keep the humidity dome humid but despite that they’re not all withered like the other ones I took, On a different not my tops look terrible, I don’t know if they’re going to come back. What did you guys make me do!

All the other shoots off the mainstems are coming up though so that’s cool, I will have a lot of clone material soon.

Hi, i heard somewhere that you cannot Top (super crop) clones? I didnt really get it as clones arnt that different from seeds? Someone shed some light on this rumour, thankyou

@yoshi

Probably has to do with the fact Clones will have the staggered
leaf nodes so they will not branch into 2 branches from the same Node.
At least that’s how I understand it

1 Like

I never read that part yet , but interesting though .

1 Like

I’ll top clones after they’re fully established and then do some LST to help open them up. Just send each branch away from the others. Of course, I came here looking to do better and would hate to pass on a bad habit if that is the wrong way to go about it.

1 Like

I just read that using aloe jelly as a rooting medium and the flesh as a planting medium never fails,

Is there anyone that can verify this?

I tried this this month…was an absolute flop…I have good luck here using plain ole honey as a rooting system,I take the honey jar with me when I go to the plant,Make the cutting,dip the piece in the honey and stick it in the ground…I have a very high level of success,about 75 % this way…Of course where I live also has something to do with my success rate…Sometimes when I’m trimming my plants I just take the trimmings and stick them in the ground,I get roughly 50% to live…

1 Like

Hmnnn…I have that staggered nodes on all my clones ,Most of which will not produce two new branches,Does anyone out there know how to get the plants to split into two natural branches at the trim sight?

Perhaps fimming? I’m not sure how proper it is, but if I want a node to branch out I cut the fan leaf feeding that branch.

For cloning, I carefully crush the stem with narrow jawed hemostats and use a sharp razor to shear off the branch/top to be cloned on the side of the jaws proximal to the donor. This leaves a clean cut at the donor’s donation site. Then, without removing the hemostats, I push the crushed end of the clone down into water (again, while still clamped in the hemostats), and use the same shearing with a sharp razor method used to make the initial cut to free the clone from the hemostats on the side opposite the first cut. You can also scrape the base of the clone a bit while under water as well if you want to. What you are left with is a clean shear at the donor site, a clean shear at the base of the clone, and a short crushed piece of stem in your hemostats to discard. And, best yet, you have a clean cut at the base of the clone that has never been exposed to air at all, even for the most minimal amount of time. I use water with cloning agent in it, but you can likely smear cloning gel or powder on the base of the clone with essentially no exposure to air if you are quick and careful. Just crushing the stem would serve quite well to protect it from an air embolism, and you can utilize that process, too, but the crushed stem pinched tightly in the hemostat jaws has about as much chance of uptaking air as I do of farting hundred dollar bills.