Cloning and topping

@dbrn32 if it’s a clone , I start topping as soon as I see roots … if its a seed I’ll usually wait until the 4th or 5th node before I start topping… but once I start topping , I go crazy and top everything… every new node gets topped about every 3 to 5 days and I don’t stop until they hit flower… :smiling_imp::smiling_imp: :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

So do you think the thicker the stem is the better chance I have of making the clone workout. I know that there are many factors but maybe with the thicker base it might have a better chance of survival. If I can get cloning down this plant would be even more awesome.

Thanks @peachfuzz @Myfriendis410

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies. I understand a little better now. So nodes are a must. That makes more sense to me now. I didn’t know what was happening before! Thank you for clarifying that.
And I do agree I think my best results with cloning have happened when I took them around the second week of flower (or so) with a little white fuzzy tops. Those turn out to be some crazy plants in veg. Awesome topic thanks for the help guys. Sorry if I interrupted or got sidetracked. Appreciate it though

3 Likes

If you wander over to YouTube you can find probably 100 different successful methods of cloning. You can find plenty of tips and tricks by watching a few videos.

Monster cropping definitely seems to produce some wild plants. But that’s not always in line with particular methods everyone is after. If it works good for you, nothing wrong at all with continuing to do so.

3 Likes

I will do that. I should utilize YouTube a lot more than I do. I just get so hooked on reading this site every night! Before I know it it’s bedtime. Thanks again for the information and the advice. I really appreciate it.
PS a little side note, I did have a monster crop backfire on me once. When I was learning to first grow in general I took a monster clone veg and it all grew up with single tall stalks and I had to use twine around them to hold them together like a barrel shape so they wouldn’t fold over. It was ridiculous I didn’t know what I was doing and it got way out of hand. It was so embarrassing it was funny. Live and learn.

3 Likes

I miss understood the topic… sorry for that… :wink:
If your taking clones , you will need at least 15 nodes … then you can take the top to be as close of a clone to the original as possible or take some side shoots that will clone easier , but will be a little more different than the rest of the plant that you are originally growing… :wink:

2 Likes

Out of likes, but I wasn’t aware we had a target number of nodes. Glad I tagged you. As I stated I only had luck doing it on larger plants, but couldn’t say how many nodes it had. Certainly a more developed plant than we would typically start topping though.

2 Likes

Well what you have to realize is that when in hydro , they grow so fast that after the 5th node and I start topping , so buy the time I have 15 nodes from the stock or trunk… I can take up to 20 or 30 clones depending on strain… you can only take or cut off 30% of any plant or tree before you will start to cause it harm… if that makes sence… :wink:
Each clone needs at least 3 nodes for survival… I like to leave at least 5 to 7 nodes per clone… more successful that way… just trim leaves by half , so the lil girl doesn’t need to work so hard to make roots… only the strong survive… :wink:

2 Likes

@dbrn32, I was just going to write the same thing. I had no idea about the numbers and nodes like that, how there can be a little bit of that genetic drift depending from where you take it. I always take mine from the bottom of the plant. The next time I think I may try the top on one or two thanks to you guys and girls. Thanks peach fuzz. Appreciate the info I’m jotting it down now. Thanks

2 Likes

The very tops just take longer to clone and can be a lil bit€hy some times… :wink:
But they will be the closest to its mother as far as genitic’s go’s… :wink:

2 Likes

thank you for the heads up. That’s good to know too. I appreciate this. I keep a little notebook by my grow stuff and I write things down when I’m on our forum.
Great info and knowledge. Thank you for sharing I appreciate it

1 Like

They told me I got to wait 2 hours so when I can get back I’ll hit up some likes
:+1::deciduous_tree::grin:

2 Likes

Busted. Lol

1 Like

Ya, I’m far from a botanist lol. But my understanding is that is just where you’re getting the most condensed values of the plants genetic makeup. It’s not that taking them from the lowers will have different genetics or anything, I could be wrong though. But I’ve never had an issue repeating phenotypes taking clones from lowers.

I’m a little bit of a wing nut when it comes to stuff like cloning. I’m real inpatient and don’t like taking a lot of time to veg. The downfall there is having relatively smaller plants. On several occasions I’ve clipped a handful of clones from lowers of 5 week old plants, and rooted them, then thrown them in corners gaps and edges of flowering space. Just to fill up some bare square footage. They obviously don’t produce like a well vegged plant, but I’ve produced some huge single colas that way. It’s a little better with longer flowering strains, but you can do it with anything. There’s no seed cost, and you don’t need large pots or a lot of nutes, so overall cost of getting a couple extra ounces out of your space is pretty low.

2 Likes

That’s very cool! I never thought of doing that. Yeah I guess why couldn’t a clone that’s tall enough healthy enough go to flower and produce a nice cola or 2 at least?
You know that is a good way to make use of wasted light.

1 Like

I agree, otherwise I probably wouldn’t do it haha! Depending on how you grow it may make more or less sense. Like I said, I’m too impatient to run a scrog or veg plants through multiple toppings or stuff like that. So it’s just a little method I use to bump my weight some.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong here…
I’ve grown buds that were 1 foot tall by the width of a foot ball… :wink:
And I did that in 6 inch pots with heavy feeding and they were also flowerd under 1200 watt equvilent cfl’s mind you… :wink:
I’ve been at this for so long … I have done so many experiments that it’s ridiculous… :wink:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t doubt that a bit. It’s fun stepping outside of the box every once in a while.

2 Likes

I live outside of the box… :wink:
Very rarely do I step inside of the box… lol :wink:
I can get claustrophobic sometimes… :wink:

4 Likes