Clones from an Auto

So I’m 2 weeks into flower. My plant has a bunch of crapppy little shoots burried down at the bottom that will never become much of anything. I didn’t LST at the start because I didn’t find this forum until a few weeks ago, but I separated and pulled out the branches with some LSTish effect just before the plant started flowering, and I think it was helpful to 75% of the plant, but the stuff at the bottom that is coming in now has little hope:

I think I’d like to clean up the bottom of the plant and remove all the hopeless shoots so the plant focuses it’s energy on the buds that matter.

I’ve got plenty of root tone, so why not give them a chance and see what happens.

The only reason not to do this is if I will negatively affect the mother plant. Ie will removing extraneous shoots and foliage from the bottom of the plant help, or will it be harmful. I read one blog that said not to clone your auto’s because you might kill the plant (?). I also don’t want to impact the ongoing flowering. I really want my first plant to succeed because I’m low on smoke, and honestly even with a medical card the dispensaries are still price gouging, so I’m done giving money away.

So… Can I clean up the bottom of the plant without negatively affecting the flowering cycle or health of the plant.

2 Likes

I had thought about taking a clone and see how that branch grew. If it would grow as a normal branch. I have a friend that just took a cutting from an RQS diesel auto to try. And it will only help your plant. By removing what doesn’t get light. It sends more energy to grow to the top. I my self wait till week 3 of flower. To make sure the stretch is over.

1 Like

I clean my autos from the bottom for the purposes of focusing energy on buds further up, and defoliation etc etc
So you can do that.
but I’m not sure about cloning. I’ve heard it’s not worth cloning autos, because of their genetic clock. But that would be dope if I could use the lower shoots of my autos as clones. Good question.

2 Likes

To answer your question, no you can not clone a auto. The ruderalis aspect of the auto will not allow it to be cloned.

1 Like

@darkillusion3526, I know it can’t be cloned to make another plant. But it seems at least the branch should grow :thinking: Odds are I will forget abut trying that by the time my next grow is here. I am to far along to try it now.

I’m pretty sure I would grow 1 big juicy bud using a branch that if left on the plant would produce a piece or 2 of popcorn.

But, I can’t afford to mess up the mother plant on my first harvest, I’m on a collision course for running out of smoke and harvest. If cleaning the bottom of the plant was beneficial on auto’s like it is on Photo’s this would be an easy decision.

But with people saying cleaning up the bottom could be harmful to the mother, I’m going to hold off until my second harvest, and probably clean out the bottom just before flowering and see what happens.

1 Like

Not trying to tell you what to do here :grin: But this is one of my autos from last grow. You can see she is stripped bare on the lowers. These are not much different than photos other than you can’t clone them

This is how she finished at 14 oz

2 Likes

@Not2SureYet,
I am going to do this with my 4 girls this weekend. Did my first LST with this grow, so my grow looks like your picture.
My question is; by cleaning do you take everything off the bottoms?
Including little bud sites, along with leaves?
Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Would you have a full picture of your plant top to bottom?

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing. Mine is growing the same but has a dense canopy and there are a bunch of little hidden bud sites underneath.

3 Likes

Looks like a pretty awesome grow. I’m going to leave the first 2 alone, I’ve got a couple more a month behind, and I’ll feel confident experimenting if I’m sitting on a few ounces from the first 2 plants. It’s just hard to watch them every day and do nothing but water and adjust lights. I want to do something to make the outcome better.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the stuff. It’s never going to be anything, so trim it and give it a chance… next batch…

If you give it a go, please lmk.

2 Likes

@EYE69MYSELF, I would start thinning every thing on the bottom that is not equal to what is up top. Or any thing that is not getting enough light that it will grow big. You are better to trim now. It will put more effort up top for growing the other buds. It may seem like you are removing some thing that may grow. But they will all be light and fluffy. Better to grow solid buds up top :grin:

2 Likes

@Not2SureYet, Awesome. Thank you! I will trim her up tomorrow.

@Nothingshocking, I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ve been pushing her since the beginning and she’s been taking it so I’m going to keep at it.

@Not2SureYet,
I am in the 2x2 grow tent. The picture is the only Tangerine that sprouted out of 3.
The other 3 in the tent are MaxiGoms.
Sorry if the pictures aren’t the greatest. I can get them all out this weekend when our house guest is gone.

2 Likes

@JimHigh, I would trim up about 8" and the post a picture of what you have. We don’t want to take more than you need. As in a few weeks. You can start removing a few of the larger fan leaves to get more light towards the bottom. I still have one that looks like cousin it. She has needed trimmed for a few weeks. I have had some much going on that I haven’t got to her yet. I just finished the final trim on 4 plants I just harvested. I guess I should up sate my journal too lol

1 Like

Okay… Will do @Not2SureYet!
After I clean them up this weekend, I will post pictures and tag you.
Really stoked about this second grow. Learning as I grow again.
Thank you very much for your time, and insight.

1 Like

That is the one thing I love about these. There is always some thing else to learn

1 Like