Clip fans, your experience

What’s your experience with clip fans for the inside of your grow tent?

I find most don’t clip well to small steel poles of grow tents and most don’t oscillate.
The first one I bought is a wind devil, seems to be a popular choose for grow stores in my area, they are cheap and barley move any air as well as have those two key missing features I listed above.

Now I have 3 comfort zone 8" and they seem much better but only have on or off.
Also don’t have clips meant for poles but I put pipe foam insulation on my poles with zap straps so the fans can get a better grip, as I lost half a plant last grow when a fan fell.

I have seen horror stories of the vivosun oscillation clip fan, catch fire, stop oscillating in a day or a week…

I looked at secret Jardine monkey fan they have a good pole system but the reviews are mixed…

2 Likes

I tried several and the amount of air they moved was sad. I went with 8 inch desk fans.

1 Like

I find them to be ok at best for small air movement. They are all a pain to clip on with extremely limited adjustment in the corners and absolutely crap if they oscillate because they almost always hit the sides of tent and break the gears.
I finally just bought a wall mount fan and screwed it through tent into wall.
I would suggest a pole mount fan if you have room.

I use em: think I have 4. They’re nice for a bit of directed airflow but not the same as an oscillating fan. My favorite for small spaces is a decent tower fan. I normally run 3 in a 4 X 6 space.

1 Like

I read a post where they took a tablet mount for a music stand and used that to set a small 8" oscillating on. It was pretty cool. The mount was around $20. If you’re interested I’ll look for it again and post the 411.

3 Likes

I would agree with not using the 6 inch fans. I upgraded to those 8 inch and I think that’s the minium.
I wish the tent and fan company’s thought this out a bit better

I wish I had the space for an oscillating tower fan.

1 Like

They make one that clamp to tent poles. I use a 28" tower fan.

2 Likes

I use a couple clip on fans. In opposite corners of the tent. But I also tie wrap a square pole to the round tent pole. Gives the clip on fan a more secure surface to clamp to. That also sets the fan out a couple of inches. An not hitting the side of the tent. I have one hurricane and one comfort zone. So far have had no mold or mildew issues. But I also run my exhaust fan 24/7.

3 Likes

Who’s they?

This one says clip on because it does but has a set screw to put tension on
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-2-Pack-Oscillating-2-Speed-Control/dp/B07QW4YK9S/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=grow+tent+fan+clamp+on&qid=1585769114&sr=8-9

Someone else makes one that clips on then has a bolt that screw thru to clamp the clip on. Its not on Amazon tho. Im looking for that one. There’s also this one that clips on and has a secondary hook to keep it from sliding

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Jardin-Monkey-Watts-0-63-0-83/dp/B06Y5PW69G/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=grow+tent+clip+fan&qid=1585769427&sprefix=grow+tent+clip&sr=8-11

4 Likes

@Nicky I know this isn’t quite what you were asking about, but I thought I would offer this as an alternative. I moved from clip fans to “hanging fans” and love it so much better. Here is a little writeup I did on it quite a while ago:

1 Like

Hey @Nicky …so I tried the clip on oscillating fans but they stick out so much that they eat alot of the photons above the plant underneath it. I have been looking for a powerful, yet low profile fan and started using these. It’s the fan that you would slide into your house window. I just grabbed a couple ratchet hangers and it has worked extremely well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TAYQXE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

4 Likes

I have a Monkey fan and its awsome. Moves tons of air and oscillates. Fits a few diff size tent poles also

2 Likes

I also use the Jardin Monkey Fan. To help it stay in place, I simply wrap some RapidClip Softwire that I used for LST around the pole below the plastic part that attaches to pole. The model I have has the rubberized hook. If I recall correctly (doubtful at my age) it came with a different sized attachment piece for it to fit smaller diameter poles.

2 Likes

The first link you provided those fans suck don’t waste your money.
Mixed reviews on the second link those are the monkey fans I was talking about but seems
@Liljoe and @beardless have had good results, so that’s a step in the right direction.

@TommyBahama thanks I think I actually seen that thread when it started but I’ll take another look now.

@imSICKkid do you have a pic or two of how your setup works?

I figured. I stay away from the small clip fans because I’ve burned 3 up. That’s why i use the 28" tower fan. It just takes up one of my plant spots is the only negative.

1 Like

When looking into a fan, I did read that Jardin recommended not to set the fan at an extreme down angle. It apparently puts more stress on the motor. (No clue as to why). Adjust its height on the pole instead. For what it is worth.

1 Like

DON’T BUY THE VIVOSUN CLIP ON FANS!! Inhave seen atleast 4 posts on reddit where those pieces of shi* have caught on fire, always the same thing too the motor overheats and basically melts all the components (really it smolders instead of bursting into flames) you can look up amazon reviews and find the problem there as well. Just a heads up, don’t wanna see any bad news pop of with the gromies!

3 Likes

I have 2 brands, Holmes and Hurricane, the Holmes fan definitely moves more air but they aren’t built as well I have already 187’d 2 outta 4 the hurricane seems to be fine but it doesn’t move much air at all. Both have 2 speed settings and the fan head can be placed in different angles.

3 Likes