Climate for drying

My hygro meter reads 24% humidity in the tent I plan to dry…

i put some wet cloth and a bucket of water and it only rises to 30%

is that a problem or do i just start curing them sooner?

Had pretty much the same issue too they’ll be done when a bud snaps off the branch with little effort after 3 or 4 days they’ll still be good- great terped pots just not THE BEST they’ll also still be super smooth after a month of proper curing . Winter time dryness sucks I’m prepared to use 2 humidifiers for my 2nd dry

2 Likes

Time to pull out the drying boxes. Similar RH situation so…

I turned off the intake and exhaust fans. Kept one small oscillating fan on just to move air. Pushed the open side of the boxes against the wall of the tent. Also did the water & towel thing. This managed to extend the dry to 5 days for the smaller buds and 6-7 days for the larger ones.

Keep the stems and buds as large as you can and don’t wet trim too much. Just keep an eye on them if the buds are really dense.
The RH of the larger buds was upper 60 when I started to cure. It took another week for the rh to drop to 62. Had to leave containers open for extended periods to make sure they dried enough. My preference is to dry this way so I don’t otherwise over dry them.

3 Likes

Nicely done! Large paper shopping bags work as well.

You gave good advice on drying. Ideal conditions are 50 to 55% RH and 60 to 65 F for 7 to 10 days. That’s your ‘ideal’.

You see thats the approx climate in my growing tent.
I have a long, wide and flat box, maybe I’ll put it leaning on the walls.

First i was thinking to make the air flow through from the intake as i have negative pressure inside the tent. But now on a second thought… I might want the air from the tent to flow trough and out… Now my problem is another all together…

Easiest way would probably be a humidifier…

I live in the desert and deal with very low rh to single digits is not uncommon but teens are the normal. I don’t trim my buds and hang them for only one day the leaves form over the buds helping to hold the moisture then lay them on mesh screens used for drying sweaters (used to use window screens) and laying butcher paper over them. Trimming the buds before I jar them up.

Now that I grow inside I defoliate my plants and my way is not slowing the dry down as much as I would like. Thanks for sharing your box method it might be just what I need :wink: and I will be trying this

1 Like

A couple of other things too: a handheld blacklight can give you an idea of moisture content of drying plant material. It will show up differently as it dries.

When my harvest is getting close I transfer everything into clear totes with locking lids, add a small hydrometer and seal over night. That allows me to look at a large amount of plant material and judge moisture content by the RH of the tote. You can then take the lid off, or cock it so air moves across it and then play with fans to get perfect.

2 Likes

Thanks The best dry I had is when I used our travel trailer this past summer. AC on max w/ dehumidifier running. Solid 8 days for some and a little longer for the bigger stuff. Ya do what you have to do.

1 Like

You will need bigger boxes than what I use. It does help. Kind of makes a little micro climate.

I’ve had great results with using the old spare fridge in my garage. The only thing in there is beer anyway…

I crank the temp to it’s warmest setting, remove the shelves and tape up a bunch of twine in there to hang from. 3-4 days hanging then into paper bags for another 5-7. From there I go straight into mason jars but at that point it’s almost at full aroma anyhow - no hay smell

Hey y’all
Just finished and moved into smaller tent for drying. I’m 61deg 51% humidity and it’s dropped to avg of 55 deg 41% humidity in 3 days. I do have air movement inside the tent.
Been looking, would 55 deg with 41% work since it is only -5 from the low normal?

Here is what i did…
it’s strapped to the side of the tent, with the tube sticking out of one