Citric acid good / bad

so is citric acid ok to bring PH down my water is near 8 from tap ?
up date i had ordered PH down on Amazon i was going to cancel it but to late. so i did a test i have a color q 11 pro test kit for pools and a taylor k6000 liquid drops (phenol red) my taylor says 7.8 /8 its subjective to color bright red is 8.2 any orange ish is 7.4 this kit reads high PH i doesnt go in to the low to acids. the color q says 7,2 ??? the blue labs pen says 7.9/8.1 so im sure i need to take the high and throw the color q away

Citric acid will work. I’ve used lemon juice, and vinegar. There is another thread about this here How to read ppm’s? - #5 by garrigan62
Specifically, the part about homemade vs. premade pH buffers.

2 Likes

I use distilled vinegar without any problems it works just fine I’ve always used it there’s some interesting stuff out there that can be used instead of using ph up/ph down

1 Like

Thanks a lot for you guys help

I use fresh lemon juice, (because it’s free). No noticeable issues yet.

Do you own citrus trees, or borrowing it from work?

1 Like

Leftovers from work at the end of the week. Honestly, it doesn’t take a lot of lemon juice to bring things into check. 2-3 lemons for 3-4 plants/ week.

1 Like

All I know is that citric acid can be nasty stuff. Be careful

I use it myself. It’s rare I need it, though. I never have to get juice or lemons, since my wife loves lemon, on everything. We always have lemons. I’m going to grow a dwarf tree when we have the space.

1 Like

I’ve tried growing citrus plants here, they never amount to much. They veg and veg but never flower. The climate here just doesn’t support it.
I’ve got 2 cherimoya trees in containers that I’ve kept going for 8-9 years. I’d love them to flower, but I’m not putting them in my tent. Real estate is valuable.

Which neck of the woods is “here” that they don’t do well?

1 Like

New England. Between ny and nh, but not Maine or mass. :innocent:

Ah. Yeah, I would think they’d be tough to grow up that way. Here in the desert, I bet they’ll do great. They do in Phoenix, I know.

1 Like

i have three a myers lemon had it 6 years a mini tangerine and a dwarf tangerine both 6/7 years they go in my green house for the winter they bloom 2 times lol it smells so good in there … next spring my green house will smell different but thats because i just ordered 20 super skunk fem seeds they will be started in there and in my garden next spring I have a 18x15 room upstairs with 9 WWA five in tent and 4 i will make a divider room for
(i still cant believe Oklahoma passed Med MJ ) Yes even my wife is all good for this Her and two cousins and i are all ready working on dispensary and grows we will be ready :wink:

my tap water is all ways at 7.8 or higher i have a pool i do all chems on so i have been checking ph every day
i have to use muriatic acid to bring PH down 2 /3 times a week being salt pool it goes up a little every day