Chopped it, dried it, no actual bud?

So I chopped one of my girls about 5 days ago… it’s been hanging in a dark tent ever since. Been checking daily progress to see if it’s dry. As I’m taking it down today, I realized there’s no actual bud… It’s thin airy, leafy and thin. None of it is hard. What the hell happened?? Is this "foxtailing’ weed or something? Did I not let it go long enough? The pistils and trichs looked ready…

It’s so light and airy, it makes it look like I got a ton off her

2 Likes

This is generally related to light and genetics. What strain is it and what light did you use?

7 Likes

ILGM gorilla glue auto, sf1000 light

There’s an article on ILGM about this very thing - The five most likely scenarios for your buds ending up airy are improper lighting, too high or too low temperature, nutrients being too much or too little, poor airflow, or root problems.

Not sure what exactly I did wrong but it looks like it could be a lot of things

Not from the looks of your pic.
Biggest thing with autos is to allow some veg time and add that onto the advertised flower times.
Usually 4-6 weeks veg time is required before pistils show and another couple weeks to form budlets.
Generally most autoflowers aren’t ready till after 12-14 weeks of growth. Some sativa leaning strains can take longer.

:v::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Looks like harvested too soon . . . unless the backlighting is why the pistils look white to me in the pic. If you have others let them grow a while longer and see what happens . . . I have one ILGM GGA left in the tent myself, she’s 16w 1d old today, and I’d bet she goes another 3+ weeks.

2 Likes

How big was she under an sf 1000 that’s a tiny light should be 1 tiny plant honestly

Chopped too soon ?

Yep she’s foxtailed on you there mate. It’ll still smoke nicely - I see you’re doing the right thing and curing. My first Blueberry foxtailed something shocking on me but it’s actually my favourite smoke! I’ve read that some people actually prefer foxtailed buds because the trichs ripen all the way through, as opposed to really tight nugs where the trichs on the inside often stay unripe - don’t know how accurate that is or not.

I say cure it, smoke it and see what you think! :+1:

4 Likes

@Oldguy @frogyrogy @Randy_Marsh

So I cut her at about day 99/100. Here’s a pic of her before I cut. Like I said, all the signs I was taught to look for as far as the trichs and pistils were there. Cloudy trichs, amber pistls…

3 Likes

@fano_man She was actually pretty big. This was my first grow so I made the mistake of trying to put another plant next to her. That one grew super lanky. It’s still going currently. I didn’t have this plant exactly center under the light. It was a little to the right and another plant was a little to the left. Here’s a pic. Do you think that was the problem? I tried to make it share the light?

1 Like

@anon33684698

So I noticed my cheapo tent from amazon has a lot of pin holes in it. I wasn’t too concerned because it was an auto. Do you think this is what caused the foxtailing? The bud in your pic looks even more put together than mine. My stuff is flaky and super thin. Here’s another shot of it:

2 Likes

Every autoflower I have grown was like that. The first photo period I tried was Granddaddy Purple and it grew dense hard buds. I think its just a ruderalis trait to produce fluffy buds. As someone above stated, the smoke will be fine.

7 Likes

Appreciate the reassurance @Spiney_norman I’ve already smoked it and although the taste isn’t there, it does get me high. I’ve just never seen bud like this before.

2 Likes

Don’t Look Back keep up the good work ! I recommend you go with a photo next grow. Some Autos can be a little fluffy no matter how many weeks you go. I normally finish Autos in about 14 weeks.

5 Likes

@kellydans Thanks so much! This was a first grow for me so I was proud I actually grew something lol. I wanted to do a photo but 1. I have like 10 auto seeds still I need to use and 2. I’m worried about the pin holes in my tent f-ing up the photo’s dark period.

1 Like

@kellydans is right, just move on. By the looks of the photos above you did as well as anyone and better than I have on many grows. They don’t show deficiencies of any sort and are really good looking plants. I would have been really happy with those results.

5 Likes

The tops of youre buds look denser then the rest imo I feel your didn’t have have enough light penetration to help the rest of the bud form and stack well together id personally recommend more light and try defoliating if you haven’t before to allow more light penetration to lower parts of the plant also how far was your light above youre plants?

1 Like

You can take some black silicone with a putty knife an fix your PIN holes or tape. Add you a photo to your grow. Start out 18/6 light schedule when photos ready to flip go to 12/12 Autos will be fine. I grow autos with photos all the time. But I always cater to my photos.
Good luck my friend !

2 Likes

Yes that’s exactly why you want about 30 watts give or take 40watts (sq/ft) your along lines of 10 to 15 with a ts1000 in a 3x3 a 2x2 would be about 25 which is low for a mars ts series…