Chlorine, chloramines,.... need a water expert

Ok so I would like to start using tap water on my girls I tested the water and I’m starting at 46 ppm and 7.3 ph. My concern is the chlorine/ chloramine (I don’t see chloramine listed though) and how best to get rid of it . Bubble it, treat it ? Here’s my city water report. Hoping somebody can offer some advice.

2 Likes

I’m in MA and I use the water right out of the tap for my DWC. My initial is 150PPM and 7.0-7.4

3 Likes

It upsets me the bastards put fluoride in our water claiming it promotes healthy teeth. I have a brush and toothpaste for that.

If chloramine was in your water then it should say.

For chlorine, fil up a bucket and let it sit overnight and you will be good.

In all honesty, it will probably be gone in a matter of hours if you let it sit out but there are chlorine testers you can buy too

6 Likes

@TDubWilly Fluoridation in modern times is much less effective for the reasons you state, toothbrushing with fluoride toothpaste. But for those that don’t it is very effective at reducing the prevalence of cavities especially in children. But we do pay for it at $01/gal so from an over all cost perspective it may not be cost effective.

3 Likes

I just don’t want to drink fluoride even in the smallest amounts

3 Likes

5 Likes

Ma. Here also

1 Like

I saw that. Danvers.

1 Like

Just let it sit out like @TDubWilly suggested. Chloramines would require adding a dechlorinator before using.

I’m jealous of ALL of you! Our water is 550 ppm out of the tap.

4 Likes

Mine is 375

2 Likes

I was pretty shocked myself @ 46 ppm I had to test it a few times. My tap water had less ppm then the bottled water I buy

1 Like

Yup, you got “good stuff”

My dear wattsun

3 Likes

Taste like sh*t though.

1 Like

Bottlesd water has dissolved plastic in it. They use mostly virgin plastic so in the plymerization process a lot of soluble intermediates are still available. Just the FDA allows it. Greatest boon/bane of today’s society and we pay more than gasoline for it.

Well you just ruined bottled water for me. :joy:

1 Like

I am a big fan of reduce/reuse/recycle and it just irks me off when I see all those people in Whole Foods and the bunny loving tree huggers drinking water from a bottle.

3 Likes

@WickedAle @TDubWilly @Myfriendis410
I’m gunna get an air stone and a pump and give the tap water a go. :+1:

3 Likes

Might as well go DWC while your at it.

I haven’t grasped the hydro concept yet. Still working on getting coco down

Coco is more difficult. DWC is coco without the measuring of the runoffs and not watering every/every other day.

3 Likes