Chipping paint inside planter

I have eight white widow seedlings, all doing fine, but growing slowly.

This one has had a brownish purple stem since shortly after I moved it into this pot.

I know I moved it way too early, but they were stretching like woah and I had to plant them deeper to bury some stem. I wasn’t prepared with big pots, so I just borrowed some, and this one has chipping paint in it.

The others are doing great – same soil, light, etc. So, could the pot be poisoning my pot? Here’s the brown stem, been that color almost a week:

Her sister in a plastic pot, nice green stem:

I can’t imagine what you’re explaining would be that much of a problem…but what I can tell you is that it’s possible that the plastic pot is drying out quicker than the one that looks like glass or ceramic…the one that the paint is chipping off of… it might hold moisture better which would lead to the purple stem and the semi yellowing which would mean a little slight over-watering possibly or that the pot hold’s more moisture… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

You still have plenty of time to transplant if need be, but @peachfuzz I think he answer that correctly besides some strains has purplish tent in the stem I’ll just keep an eye on it and let it grow to get establish before I do much of anything to it, it’s still a young seedling. But right now a small spray bottle to wet the soil just around the base of the seedling is all you need not the whole pot. I used a 6 ounce spray bottle with pH water and just wet about a finger length from the stem outward so the roots will grow to find the water in the soil. So hold your finger out from the top leaf :leaves: and spray in a complete circle :o: around the diameter of the plant and the roots will search for the moisture underneath the soil and once it gets 4-5 nodes you can transplant it in a better draining pot and top it.

1 Like

It could be from a couple of things. I would just keep an eye on it and see if things get any worse, if so, you’ll want to move pots again.

:v:️:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

The soil in that pot WAS more moist than others. I let it dry out, and now the stem is coming in green! Still a little funky at the bottom, but definitely improving. Thanks!

1 Like

Remember just spray around the perimeter of the stem finger length in a full circle and she will take off.

1 Like

That’s a glazed ceramic pot. The glaze on the inside should not be an issue, it’s no different flaked off as lining the pot. Redness in stems can have a physical reason or be strain related. That would be a good thing for a support ticket.

1 Like

It’s looking pretty good now… I’m pretty sure that pot was just holding more moisture. … :wink:
My wife uses all kinds of different pots for all kinds of different things so that’s why it popped in my head… :wink:
Happy growing…
Tag me if you need further assistance… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses: