Chinese rosin press

Why trim it? Lol.

To much plant material I Geuss is what the rosin guys say I really haven’t learned exactly why to much info coming in all at once I’m like a newb over there just trying to learn and read. I’ll be doing my first press tonight! So I will update tonight or tomorrow.

3 Likes

Haha, No trimming would save me a bunch of time! The reading is neverending, you’ll get to a point where you think you’ve got it then read something new and go down another rabbit hole. It’s like learning to grow, looks easy from the outside until you start. Then here comes damn science and kicks you right in the face to let you know whats really up.

3 Likes

This is gunna be great!

https://images.app.goo.gl/LfsyxCNfyquPW2XW6

2 Likes

Just gonna say there’s nothing wrong with making dry ice bubble and pressing it. It’s a great way to process live rosin you just gotta make sure the frozen plant material stays frozen and doesn’t have a chance to thaw at all so it’s like right outta the freezer into the dry ice, let it cool down more for 5-10 mins then hash it.

If you’re worried about plant material in your bubble hash a 37u bag will keep it outbid your final product just fine.

Actually I’m doing a run later this week. Happy to take video proof but it’s also easy to find lots of people doing it successfully on the YouTubes

3 Likes

Good to know. Do you use other micron bags also or just 1?

In re-reading I may have made an incorrect assumption. I was thinking only of live uncured buds not already dried and cured.

For dried bud or trim I can see why dry ice might be not as good. You’re dealing with a very dry product already and it won’t take much to turn it to dust.

For fresh frozen buds it’s great. Minimal processing effort and great quality.

2 Likes

I just Chopped today. So if I want to try dry ice out should I throw like an Oz in the freezer undried and uncured now until ready to process?

If you want to do dry ice extraction with bubble bags, yes. Freeze some fresh. Chop and straight into the freezer spread out on a baking tray. I bag mine up once they’re frozen solid then try and extract as soon after as possible.

Here’s two good videos I reference before I do a run.

2 Likes

Just the 160 micron for making the dry ice hash.

I use a 37u Pure Pressure bag to press the resulting hash into rosin in my Dabpress

1 Like

It sounds so simple but it definitely takes experience.
Also what is the descrof pre heating.
Is pre heating just placing it in the press touching the top/bottom of the bag? Or with light pressure on it? Or just as it starts to get snugg?

Some say pre heat for 30sec others say 1m others say 2min.

Not having a pressure gauge sucks, I will definitely by getting a gauge installed by a hydraulic shop asap even if I have to get a different jack.

I’ve read multie different instructions and seen YouTube videos but I suck lol.
I’ve done 4 presses, my return is garbage right now but I don’t feel discouraged, as it’s still getting me stoned whatever I get back and my stock is decent.

So if everyone recalled I temp checked my plates with a lazer temp reader, also used black tape and a flat black magnet on the plates to ensure a better reading. Well don’t trust the laser temp guns. I used a quality bbq temp probe and 170f is actually 205f on my controller, after autotune and double checking all my settings lol.

So first press was a waste because I hadn’t used the bbq temp.

2nd press I really let it pre heat and pressed a fair amount, it came out black and very sticky. Couldn’t get it off the parchment paper. I got some off for sure but it just is like sap I froze it in the freezer and it’s easier but still seems like I’m fighting a loosing battle. So minimal recovery.

3rd Peas I decided to try a purple kush rather than the northern light, the northern lights SHOULD be 62% RH, while the PK is 70% according my inaccurate meter lol (I’ll be calibrating everything later with a brand new 75% boveda pack). The purple kush I pressed a little faster and a little less pressure I think by the feel, it came out decent, not sappy like the northern lights.

Smoked a bit of this with the girl, taste was good and I definitely felt it.

Press #4, pressed a full bag of the northern lights, did it as fast as previous press but it was a larger bag so had to squeeze it a bit more to squish it together. Had my first blow out, cracked the bag… Oops. K not to self.

I have 2x4 bags. I don’t like them they are hard to load because my fingers are big haha. I would prefer a wider shorter bag.

5 Likes

Yeah the black rosin is too high temp. You can press for longer at a lower temp with out ruining your results. I typically start with 3 mins and if it’s really flowing and burbling out of the plates I’ll let it keep going til it’s done bubbling out of there.

I use my timer as a guideline but not hard and fast rule.

If you wanna go for a less sticky texture try curing it overnight in a sealed jar. I use those little silicon containers and they get a good airtight seal on the lid. My favorite texture is cake frosting. To get that I would take Rozen press at between 170 and 190 and seal it up in a silicon container. Then heat the container between the press plates at 120 for 15 minutes. Then remove and let it sit sealed for 24 hours.

You’ll wind up with an opaque spreadable product that is not very sticky. It loses some of its pliability so you can’t make a snake with it but it’s really easy to scoop into a crucible or on top of of bowl

Don’t take my word for it, do some googling or youtubing related to “jar tech”

3 Likes

@Deez great videos. Thanks! Do you pack your bags bottle tech style of just flat? I’ve had better luck prepressing in the bags flat before pressing over bottle tech but have seen bottle tech is the way to go for people. Not sure if I am doing it wrong or if there’s not a huge difference. Like you said, it seems to come down to quality of material more than anything.

1 Like

Quality yes, but RH really important too.

I do my bags bottle style. I get poor results with laying them flat. Maybe it’s just my tiny press but that’s how I see most peeps doing it in videos.

When I pre-heat I stick my loaded bag (or more often just a ball of buds) in the press and squash it down to about an inch tall and let it sit for a few mins to preheat.

3 Likes

I’ll have to try it some more bottle tech style. I preheat the same way. Barley squish the bag and let heat up until it seeps thru the bag a little then I start pressing slowly.

I will take your advice into account on the temp, I tried at 170 and basically didn’t get anything.

I have a bunch to do over the next couple days, a full 5 plant harvest but I will calibrate my RH meters and make sure the RH of the product is what I think it is…

I understand jar tech slightly and the cure but if I can’t get It off the parchment paper that doesn’t really help lol.

2 Likes

If you need to freeze it and crack it off the parchment that’s ok. Pretty much always works.

I usually scrape the parchment as soon as it comes off the press while everything is still warm and soft.

What sort of tool are you scraping with? I have the one that came with this set and it’s my favorite so far.

Dulytek Wax Collection Gadget and Tool Set - Big Stainless Steel Scraper, Glass Stamp, Concentrate Jar, 4" x 6" Cooling Plate, Large Silicone Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8KRVDL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6ZM5ESSNNB66CV1TAAV3

1 Like

I don’t have a stamp, I’m using a dab tool.
The one I did came off easier but the other 3 presses I couldn’t get it off the paper even after freezing it for 24hr! So I gave up. I’ll try another press.
I’m going to try sideways non bottle tech next time and I want to play around with this but I have to trim 5 plants.

You using decent parchment?

1 Like

The stuff everyone says to use reynolds or something

Only other thing I can think of if you’re having trouble getting it to release from the paper is maybe pressing with too much pressure. That parchment starts to break down if you press really high tonnage on it.