Chicken poop and compost

…So I asked my friend who raises chickens for a bag of chicken poop, (thinking shopping bag), he have me a 30 gal container filled to the top. At least 75lbs!!
It has been closed up in the container since Saturday because of the rain. I know leaving it closed up probably isn’t to good.
So how do I dry it out? When will it be good to use? I’ve heard anything from 6 months to a year. Can you mix it in with soil so it won’t be as potent
Also I have a new compost tumbler. I have been putting equal amounts of browns and greens since the begining of May.
How long does it take to brake it all down till it becomes compost. I keep adding to it, should I stop?
I know…I’ve got so many questions, and I still have more!
Appreciate any and all assistance.

3 Likes

I wish I could answer your questions but I don’t know either so if you don’t mind I will follow along to get educated too. :blush:

2 Likes

That’s a lot of poop… I’ve always added it to my compost pile and let it break down… But I’m sure there are people with more experience than me… Just mentioning what I do

1 Like

You heard right. 6 months or more and that’s not just so you don’t burn your plants with white hot chicken sh!t, composting will kill pathogens in the poo which makes it safe to use on edible plants as well as smokable plants. It’s smart safe practice when you’re dealing with poop of any origin.

The image of your “friend” giving you a huge tub of crap is hilarious. Some friend! Lol :joy: it’s kind of like zucchini in August. You give someone one and then you like force five more on them :rofl:

My old man used to make jokes about a blivet which is coming to mind here

6 Likes

Oh and along with the goat poop :goat:

1 Like

Is goat poo anything like sheep poo? Sheep poo is somehow more awful than most

Nope… everything I read, it’s great for the garden, always had good luck with it. Friends and neighbors were always jealous of my garden, but moved to a new place this year and don’t have a compost going yet, newbie for growing my new special plants and just following forum

2 Likes

@Deez @Drfting1 @Flitme
Thanks for the feedback!
Ok so it looks like I won’t be using the poop until the springtime. So since I’ve never had to dry out poop before what’s the best way to do it?
I’m going to put as much of it as I can in the empty half of my compost tumbler.
Does it attract critters? Mainly racoons, possum and squirrels
Hope these don’t sound like stupid questions, but I’ve never done homemade composting before.

It doesn’t attract animals. They have no interest in that stuff. It’s really less about drying it out and more about composting it. As it compost it will dry out that’s part of the process but you don’t need to like lay it out in the sun and dry it you can just compost it

Don’t worry about asking questions, you’re asking the right kinds of questions!

3 Likes

Thanks Deez! It’s because of people like you that these ILGM forums are so good. You don’t just answer the question, you explain also!
Ok enough ass kissing…lol…JK!
But yes there are a few things I’d like to know about. So let’s start with the poop.
I’m probably going to start using it next spring. I can only grow outside.
So how do you use the poop once it is ready? Is it like worm castings with a 4:1 ratio?
I grow in 3-5 gal containers, I use store bought compost, peat, soil, worm castings and blood meal, vermiculite and perlite. How would I add the poop.
Also can you make some kind of tea with it.

2 Likes

It’s about 70lbs per 100 sqft - a 5 gallon bucket is about 25 lbs as a gauge.

You wanna mix it in the soil really nice and even too - hot spots in the soil can cause issues. I had this happen to me in my veggie garden this summer in one bed on one side and like two pepper plants are affected.

This stuff is hot compared to worm poo - 4:1 is way too hot. For a 3-5 gallon container a cup is fine. You can top dress with more partway through veg.

1 Like

Wow!.. 1 cup!.. That’s amazing!
After how long would you start to top the container with poop after the initial mix. 2 weeks? Would that amount be a 1 cup also. Do you use it during the veg stage as a stand alone nutrient.
And I haven’t even started to ask about my composter yet😁

1 Like