Cheaply lighting a 3x3 tent with DIY light strips

i really like my 3500k light @Budbrother,so much i’m building two more!!

3 Likes

The McCree study shows absorbtion, although some has more recently been contradicted.

1 Like

I think you can add the two different spectra (3000 and 4000) if you look at the datasheet. Get a piece of graph paper and plot the sum, and I bet it looks just like the 3500 curve, once you scale it down by 1/2.

1 Like

Someone was telling me a mix of 4000k and 3000k will be like 3500k but will have a higher blue in the spectral. I’ll find his quote
"Member

At first it seems right! 3000 + 4000°k looks like 3500°k, yes, … but only to the human eye!
If you look closer at the SPD’s of both spectrums and put them on top of each other for comparison, you’ll see that the mix of 4000 + 3000°K is slightly different than 3500°K. Eg. the bright blue area around 485nm, but also in the area around 430nm. So the difference is that you get a wider blue coverage and a little more green at the expense of some red with such a combination.
For that reason for instance the Nextlight’s(Mini and Max) use a mix of 5000°k and 2700 or 3000°k. Also the Indagro LED has two different spektrums but there it’s possible to dimm them both seperately."
Which sounds about right

1 Like

This project is being put on hold for a bit. After 4 days of rain and 7 more days predicted, it has become a priority to get a new roof after 21 years. Way overdue at this point, and this evil, damn necessity trumps the need for a better light, for now @dbrn32 @Aolelon @1BigFella @BIGE

I hate when reality suddenly creeps up and decides to dictate logic over one’s own priorities. A pointless endeavor resisting, for logic always wins out, logically speaking.

5 Likes

Yea that’s very unfortunate. But real life before hobbies for sure. Sorry for the Lemony Snickets going on. Wish you the best of luck.

2 Likes

It’s way less unfortunate than the Baudelaire’s predicament, for now, only one leak. Over 20 yrs, It’s way overdue for a fresh look.

2 Likes

You won’t regret a whole new roof. It’s very comforting and generally looks great. I’ve done several on different houses and I have always been happy with the result.

1 Like

Yea I was a roofer for awhile. There is definitely a good feeling about getting a whole new roof. Maybe it’s because you know you dont to really have to worry about it for 20+ years with a good roof haha

4 Likes

While I’m not in disagreement that you can find slight variances with mixing light spectrums than just going with single color temp, the differences are minimal. Not enough to justify doing it without having multi channel control.

We have to remember that the spd’s Are just a measurement of intensity of the different wavelengths of light. So whichever wavelength is most dominant generally becomes 1, 1.0, 100%, or whatever they list it at. Then everything else is scaled against it. So if you take 1 color temp that peaks at 600 and another that peaks at 460nm and mix them, the relative intensity changes. The point is, the scale is infinite. Saying that one produces something like 40% more of certain wavelength on the graph changes as soon as you mix it with a different color temp.

2 Likes

Across brands and even lines of light emitters I’m sure that is true. But if you look at one data sheet that has a set of spectra for different color temperatures, I bet they use the same scale. That means if you mix temperatures and use about the same wattage of each, the combined spectrum will just be the sum of their two spectral curves.

Of course, if you use 500 watts of one color and 100 watts of another then it’s not that simple. All that said, the only reason to mix color temps is if you want to veg with one and flower with different light which of course growers have been doing with MH and HPS for a very long time.

It’s definitely the same scale. What I meant is that there’s no ceiling to the scale. It’s simply intensity of one wavelength vs the others. So like 20 watts of light vs 50 watts of light there’s a lot more of each, but the ratio of one wavelength vs the rest is still same with exception of any shift that happens at temp. The graph looks the same.

There will absolutely be a difference if power levels aren’t matched equally. Also, not every manufacturers color temps are identical on the sdg. I’d have to go look to verify which one, which I don’t really care enough to do. But I think it was bridgelux 3500k 80cri, seemed like less blue or more red (same depending on how you look at it) than Cree and Citi of same temp.

1 Like

Majik smoke…

3 Likes

lol,as i chuckle…yea majik smoke is not good…

1 Like

Move over Mr. Catapillar let me take a hit off your hookah

6 Likes

I wanna do 10 F Series FB24B for $148 on Vertical

Is the Fv 23v x 10 = 230v in series or 48v each? I’m getting mixed messages from the data sheet verses arrow info page. This makes choosing a driver or drivers harder for me.

Voltage of the FB24B strips is typ. 46v at 2240mA so 10 In series would be 460v, which is quite a lot. Will have to split the. Up between 2 drivers or so.

I was going to say 2 hlg-480h-c2100 would work but that would put each 5 strips at 230v and the CC version is 229v. While I’m sure 1v wouldn’t make a huge difference, it may fall short. Maybe if you dimmed them slightly.

I wouldn’t want to drive them that hard, heat being my constant issue.
Definitely, different drivers will be needed. A potentiometer with a A style CC drivers running 50% power. If I drive them lower to reduce heat, I’d gain on efficiency anyway. I’m done with my research for tonight. I’ll pick out 2 drivers tomorrow.
Feel free to continue on. chuckling