Cheaply lighting a 3x3 tent with DIY light strips

The reason strips are better at spread and penetration is plants use diffuse light just as well if not better than direct light. Advantages of diffuse light for horticultural production and perspectives for further research - PMC

1 Like

But like you guys say the availability is the issue, if you want the light now and not down the road.

I’m ready to start a new crop, and I don’t wanna wait too very long. Excellent article now I understand what you meant by PFFD.

1 Like

You mention, Arrow has 9 in stock of 2’ 3000k with free shipping $106.97. Just now realized the links above. Morning brain, I guess.

I was thinking a layout like this:
. ||| | | | |||
Wall to wall coverage

Better yet I could get (6) 3000k and (3) 4000k shipped for $115

That is based on being above light saturation levels, with a non diffuse light. Technically speaking, quantum boards are diffuse. More so than hid or cobs.

2 Likes

It’s 4:19 my time. Smoke with me!

2 Likes

If you want to get to the same power level as @Myfriendis410 fixtures you’ll probably have to switch up drive currents and add strips or you can get pretty close with 11 strips on the same driver.

Forward voltage on gen 2 strips is different than gen 1. Ends up being more like 20 watts per strip at 1050ma instead of 25.

2 Likes

Would the design I show be right for my 3x3, including the color temps and spacing?

In a 343 pattern (3000k & 4000k)
||| | | | |||

just divide the different color temps up evenly.

2 Likes

One thing you might want to think about is using your existing lights or even an inexpensive China light for your plants in veg; particularly when they’re little. I veg for 6 weeks under a single “300” watt Amazon light (Meizhi) and I reserve the space with the good lights for late veg and all of flower. Something to think about when you want the right spectrum and intensity it’s certainly during flower.

4 Likes

Tbh I’m not gonna lie, I would go with the QB kit too, and I did. I was just giving you an alternative cause you asked. And the strips aren’t a bad one at that, with a little elbow grease you could have a nice light for pretty cheap.
I have 6 quantum boards from alibaba on the way. I paid 40$ for the single board with heatsink and accessories minus the driver and 80$ for the double board and heatsink minus drivers. Total of 320$ shipped to me minus the drivers. There are a ton of reviews on them on sites I cant mention that show they are worth it as well. Some being true lm561c chips and some being lm561b+(10% less light) but for the price you cant beat it. Shipping is just what kills, and the time it takes to receive them. Not saying order them, just saying I like the qb boards well enough I want to test these out and see how they perform.

2 Likes

You could even do like I did down the road and add strips totalling like 350w of power or something with 2 added faeries strips

9 Likes

But definitely go with what you like. Sorry if I made your decision any harder. Not my intentions. Whatever you decide on if you need help I can for sure help.

1 Like

No worries, I’m taking plenty of time to work through the decision making process. I like the light setup that you have. I was actually already contemplating doing as you have done, QB’s now and strips later.

I have come up with an 8, 3000k strip design that would be cheaper than the QB XW Kit. My local Grainger has both the angle and the U aluminum in stock in 8’ lengths for basically $1/foot. I have completed a shopping list of parts - $280

3 Likes

You could wait to order for these as well…

If you can, I would try for 10 strips or so. That would give you around 200w of power driving them at 1100mA (slightly overdriven) with a max of 270 at 1400mA, they are maxed out at 1.4a so it’s not recommended you drive them that hard, but you could also get a bigger driver and add some more down the road, 8 of them would be 156v so you could potentially get an hlg-320h-c1050 which is rated for 152-305v Consant Current region

1 Like

I would check voltage rating on connectors. I think it’s 300v.

That’s the driver I chose from Arrow, but as you may know, they only have (9) 3000k in stock. The only reason I came up with 8 strips was to avoid having to buy another 8’ of U channel, just for 2’