Cheaply lighting a 3x3 tent with DIY light strips

the price for 1 digikey 3500k strip is 6.55$ they don’t carry the 3000k and you need a minimum order of 200

Here is the wiring diagram for series wired strips. series%20wiring

1 Like

I think we may be wasting time with the strips. Hlg has price listed for pair of qb 288 and slate 2 sinks for $169. Hit the “notify me” button so they email you when 3000k is back In stock. Same $70 driver I listed above will run two 288’s. They should come with wire for dc side. You need a power cord, connectors, and frame after that. Should be less than $350

They must be getting lazy lol. I have a box of 3000k 560mm gen 2 strips I grabbed from them in probably February. But they showed about same price on gen 1 strip until they had them in stock, then they were like $10 and the 280mm was like $6 something. I bought 10 of each. The only ones that held low price was the 5000k that nobody buys.

I did a few hours of researching last night. Finding parts in stock somewhere is proving difficult. If you can find them, they’re not 3000k. I thought of mixing 3000k with 4000k or 3500k. As you say, not much difference in spectrum between those two.

Now that I have had some time to sleep on it. With the waiting for parts plus any lead times, I’ve decided, that the QB288 kit in stock now, just might be the way to go here.

5 Likes

Hard to argue with that.

2 Likes

Yeah, it kinda is. Budget constraints and time, seem to prohibit the strips. True, I’d love to get a more mixed spectrum and spread the lights out for more even coverage.

That’s kind of overated. To get that you would need the outside strips very close together, and then more spacing on the strips on inside of fixture. Even then, corners and edges are still weaker.

1 Like

During pricing/planning last night, i got up to 10 strips before I felt like I would have that coverage.

I guess what I’m saying is that you could put strips all the way across the top of your space, the light levels at canopy won’t be the same. It’s beca there would be greater density of diodes near center of light, so more light there than corners and edges.

1 Like

That makes sense

1 Like

Your light levels will be plenty good with 2 boards in a 3x3. I wouldn’t sweat it that much.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on heatsinks? I’m thinking the Slate 6 Double Predrilled Heatsink, 501mm x 320mm; as opposed to, the Slate 2 Double Predrilled 600mm Heatsink. Thoughts, comments, sage advice :grin:

Get the slate 6 double I think it’s 550mm x 320mm for 3x3, the one in the xw kit. Or get two of the slate 2 singles and bolt them together.

That’s what’s in my cart now. Had to double check, though. Thanks

1 Like

No problem! You may be able to save a couple bucks on driver. Sign up to get on mailing list at arrow electronics, mouser, and Jameco. See if they send you any coupons.

Exactly like @Myfriendis410 has done here

2 Likes

Strip availability the issue there.

Exactly, I’ve been looking. Kinda what I mentioned earlier with using 10 strips

Still never placed the QB order yet. I keep trying to figure it all out.

1 Like