Chasing Amber - Lets Go

Yep I hear you. I had also complicated things by going from rapid rooter to solo cup to final pot.
Got rid of the rooter step and just drop them from paper towel right into solo cup. Plus I did transplant too early in the beginning :grin:

3 Likes

i go solo to final myself and also transplanted the last 4 too early because of the problem i was having with the solo cup soil i was using. it appears that there is a “best used by” date for mother earth’s coco peat soil and a year and a half is over the date lol i have one seedling left in my current grow and i have promised myself that now that i have good soil in there i’m going to wait until the proper transfer time.

2 Likes

That’s the ticket my friend, the continuing lesson of patience, always applicable. I didnt know coco had a shelf life!?!?. Is that after you rehydrate it or something? These days I use coco and Hoffman’s seedstarter soil, 50/50 of each mix, have been hitting them out of the park w that lately, very easy and a nice compromise/best of both world type thing.
I dont even think of transplanting now till they got their “Sea Legs” :grin: as I call em, How old they are and all that I simply dont bother with, not at this stage :wink:

2 Likes

i don’t know anything about makeup of the soils i use. i have purposely kept that out of my studies though i need to be learning about that when i quit being lazy. the mother earth’s is not pure coco, it is just a light soil that treehouse told me to use for my seedlings. it should still be good but it doesn’t appear to me to be because i had such a problem with seedlings these last two grows and had no problem what so ever on the first two grows. so i’m going with the idea that the soil was the problem because the roots organic original i used on the last seedling is working so well. Amanda at the treehouse said that there shouldn’t be a problem with the mother earh’s being old but i can only go by results.

i really liked that hoffman’s starter when i saw it online and tried to get some at the treehouse. but Amanda said to just use the roots organic original instead of paying for the hoffmans because the original roots is not too hot to do the seedlings. because she said that i put nutes on the veg stage plants from the beginning instead of not doing nutes in veg stage until the last week or two as i was doing with the supersoil

2 Likes

Yes, they can all get a little tricky for sure. I’m leaning towards a more benign kind of thing/medium now, not true hot soils like FF stuff, and have been “cutting” them w 50% coco, cheap and so far very happy w the ease of use.
Your Mother Earth soil doesnt seem hot at all, maybe you got a funky batch?! not out of the realm of impossibility :grin:
Hoffman’s is pretty cheap actually and is just for the solo cup stage, also cut w 50% coco so it lasts me a very long time, I mean really long :smiley:
I got the idea after seeing Cody use straight coco to germinate and I know it works very well. When I run out of hoffman’s I’ll use straight just for the heck of it.

2 Likes

Wow congrats on being here 732 days today @Mote. That’s some pretty flowers you have too.
Weed eater was a brand name of weed “wacker” that we bought and used at Walmart. They were green and had a road eater on the side. Thy were only good for 3 years or so but they were cheap.
Have a great Sunday everyone :sunglasses::v:

6 Likes

Oh ok sorry, Im outside enjoying a cuppa coffee with my pot plants, Ill showbthe back and sides when I go in the house.

1 Like

my plants usually get transplanted 4 times before they are in there final resting place.

2 Likes

Simple peg head nothing fancy

8 Likes

Thank you my Friend! I’m always learning something new from you :smiley:
Wacker / Eater it all amounts to the same thing in the end…green shins :laughing:

4 Likes

Nice! Very Very Nice!!! :clap: I love Maple, fiddleback, quilted, bird’s eye. Thats some mighty fine luthier work there my friend, what else Dont you do :grin:
So how old is she? cause I would imagine her sound will be improving much like our weed w a “Cure”.
What wood did you use for the neck, mahogany?!

1 Like

I built it around 7 years ago I guess? It has been in the case mist of the time as I have many others to actually beat on! It is waiting for me to actually do something to it. Ironically, my favorite guitar to play is a stupid cheap nylon string classic student guitar, not even sure where it came from? The finish is cracked and quite bad but she plays great and has a big open sound for such a dirt grade instrument.

2 Likes

Yes honduran mahogany, as at the time I made that african was banned for export.

2 Likes

They’re so funny that way sometimes, I think that’s one of the things that keeps it interesting as well, finding that perfect sound in a humble package lol.

While I love beautiful guitars I try to just focus on how they feel and sound mainly, as long as its not neon pink (hmm, maybe :thinking:) I can tolerate a lot of things finish/color wise.

4 Likes

oh yeah, thats why I built this the way I did. I wanted a steel string guitar where the neck is good for fingerstyle. Must are built for strumming with a plectrum. I have short stubby fingers and ironically, prefer a wider string spacing at the nut. The bridge is standard spacing. The combination is a far more comfortable instrument for Nashville style or even classical / Spanish technique.

2 Likes

Oh since you say you were looking gor a tele?

A good friend of mine has a nice selection of them. Some are quite valuable. We did a side by side of this cheap assed Chinese tele with 3 of his best non modded teles… the results were surprising! This cheap piece of wood was as good as or even nicer to play than his best guitar! The neck is easier to play, the pickup was actually 2 db louder and has even better tone? Imagine that? Seems what happened was Fender sold a limited license to the Chinese manufacturer for a run of teles made for the lower end retail market. The tuners are not as good yet they dont slip! The bridge plate and adjusters are knock offs yet they work identically to the over priced ones! The volume tone pots are not the same yet they work flawlessly, the pickups are not the same but for some odd reason sound amazing! Well Fender realized the error they made, the Chinese were trying to build them properly to maintain the license but they made em too good! The higher end teles werent selling and many road artists were buying the chinese guitars and removing the logos to use on tour because they didnt have to risk having their expensive guitars ruined or stolen! In addition, they sounded fantastic! I mean Im not cheap! I use high end gear
But man I wish Id have bought more of these and the hollow bodies too

5 Likes

That’s Crazy!
:laughing: I was just looking at some chinese one on ebay as a matter of fact lol.

What year were these chinese ones you and your friend A - Bd?
The tele in your picture is beautiful! The new lower range ones have a very thing finish on the fretboard, feels kinda weird. always like the maple fingerboards with that high gloss finish, doesnt make sense really but I like the look.
I’ve heard the same story about the strats, some of the Mexican ones are quite nice. Pretty sad when the subcontractors are putting out basically better product than Fender itself :roll_eyes: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The pick up and hardware observations are quite hilarious actually :grin:
Same deal w Japanese guitars, usually really well made.
That is some sweet gear dude, that Kemper looks real interesting, was just reading up on it, very :sunglasses: what you using for speaker cabs?

I remember looking at a epiphone es335, felt darn nice, so I asked the kid to hand me a gibson 335.
It was nice but no where near worth what the asking price. The epi felt exactly if not better.
Les pauls can be the same thing, you really have to play it and all that to actually find a real good one, price tag is no indicator whatsoever!

3 Likes

Happy Belated Cannaversary @Mote :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thank you Missiles! Hope you’re having a great sunday my friend :wink: :smiley:

4 Likes

I am. I just got up from a nap a little bit ago :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I hope your having a great weekend as well my friend :wink:

1 Like