Changing from hydro to soil is it better?

Thinking of changing from hydro to soil in one of my tents, advice from any doing both or have done so in past is it worth changing from hydro?
Thanks folks

Why is that @WickedAle ? Just better control over the nutes or?

So with my new setup, autopots and living soil, as long as the plants don’t grow into the light, I could see myself going 3+ weeks workout checking on them

2 Likes

Interesting. I may look more into in the near future.

I’m planning on not pHing or adding any fertilizer for the entire grow :wink:

5 Likes

Nope, didn’t talk to anyone but myself and did my research.

It will be gravity self fed off a 25 gallon reservoir into living soil or autopots with sohum living soil

5 Likes

Actually i talked to two people now that I think about it

4 Likes

I agree I use autopot system in tents it’s set and forget at time you can leave for a holiday of a couple weeks knowing your plants are supplied with water and nutrients but some say the taste is sweeter from soil so just wondering about that and yeild my

3 Likes

I can’t speak for hydro because I have no growing experience with it. I grow in super soil and I’m happy with the results. Smell, taste and potentcy is incredible. I get a lot of positive feedback from friends I share with.

2 Likes

I didn’t wanna “build” my soil either @WickedAle because honestly I’m lazy and didn’t want to purchase multiple different products.

Sohum comes ready to go in the bag and has been advertised in high times as a seed too harvest soil needing absolutely no nutes…just add water

5 Likes

I did a hydro grow and am impressed by how clean the finished flower is: white ash when you smoke, smooth on the throat, still less terpenes than I’d like but I should have added some sulfur for the last couple of weeks.

As a direct comparison I’m running 5 plants in FFOF this time.

4 Likes

@Sugarbayallstar… This is my first canna grow, but I have been growing in soil for decades… outside, inside, row, raised bed, SFG, Mel’s Mix, you name it…

AND, IF I had the space, I would be growing high-monitored hydro. But I have next to zero space, so I am growing soil-less with Pro-Mix HP and Jack’s 3/2/1.

If full-on hydro is “too much” for you, you might try soilless with something basic like Jacks… Simple and basic… to max yield, still need to measure pH and EC/TDS though… regardless of system/media IMO.

1 Like

If i could i would do the best of both worlds, going with an aquaponics system ,a dual root zone,system. at the moment i dont have the funds, keeping the Mrs. happy, and doing a kitchen renovation., plus lost most of my crop last year to a flood,im having to buy my smoke at the moment, The start up might be a little pricy but once you have the system worked out it runs like clockwork just my 2 cents

1 Like

Sounds interesting

1 Like

@Sugarbayallstar whats the reason for wanting to switch ?

@Sugarbayallstar check out @Aquaponic_Dumme he will give you some inspiration hes done lots of aquaponics, dual root zone,

Just wondering if it will increase yeild and flavours not necessarily going to change just always done hydro inside and a few hydro store owners are advising special soil grows( so you only add bud nutrients when flowering) so trying to get advice from those who have been there.

1 Like

Well i tried hydro before and had a horrible go with it lol. Im actually getting ready to start a “kindsoil” grow with only kindsoil and ph’d water of 6.5 from what ive seen and read it gets absolutely no easier . @SilentHippie turned me on to it and after seeing his result(proven that is ) i was sold . I like the growth rate of hydro and all deficiencies show earlier and faster but i dont like the trouble of water changing and ph swings and all else that goes along with it lol. I commend everyone that grows in hydro but i guess its for some and not for others .

3 Likes

Ok great I might try one tent soil and one hydro with soil and compare using same genetics and while no two plants are the same compare results. I am currently have two tents on hydro autopots ( so simple a system for hydro ) with super skunk X 2 and gold leaf X 2 flowering the other vegatative banana Kush X 2 and super skunk 1 going on a ten day holiday and know can leave autopots with confidence, so the experiment will have to wait till next grow.

4 Likes

Like @WickedAle I like side by sides too.
I am going from soiless pro-mix to hydro. I got great results from Pro-mix HP, but wanted to forgo the Gunga Den water carrier to the grow tent.
My hypothesis is as long as nutes are dialed in, the plants get all the water they need and no threat of over / under watering in hydro. (Plus I have a great space for hydro anyway!)

1 Like