Ceramic Metal Halide

Here’s a good article on LEC lighting (CMH).

Im bout to do my first grow ever , what u suggest, fir lighting I want at least six plants growing, I need everything, compkete setup im asking around now, and this popped on screen, might b a sign,

@SHRED I am considering grabbing a cmh for my next room. How does the heat increase compare to an air cooled HID running HPS bulb @ 600w?

Not sure. I went from a cheap LED to this. It works fine in my 3x3x7 tent.

Good to know :slight_smile: should be fine in a 4x4x7 tent as well then lol. This will be my third tent, I should consider just turning the whole room into a grow room. Just throw up some walls to partition it off into separate growing areas.

3 Likes

I’d say no closer than 18" from the top of the canopy.
Also I started at 3’ from the seedlings.
You’ll be impressed. I’m getting ready to chop my White Widow Autos. They matured in 50 days and are thick with buds.

2 Likes

Nice :wink:
I have been researching CMH (LEC) lighting since you mentioned it in your grow journal. I considered the LED route but the heat generated by a HID is currently beneficial to me. I keep the house around 65-68 at all times lol. If the CMH generates more heat than a LED setup it should work for me as well. I hate running heaters in my tents, it kills the humidity for me in them.

1 Like

The heat generated is somewhere between an LED and an HID. That’s what I have read.

As far as the quality of light produces, it matches and may even exceed a 600W HID bulb.
What I like also is that the 3100K bulb that came with my Sun Systems works great both veg and bloom. No bulb changing or expense.

2 Likes

You sir are awesome. I ordered a CMH setup for my new tent lol. Excited to see how it performs compared to regular MH!

1 Like

In order to get comparable results with an LED you’d have to spend a lot more $$$. The light from the LEC penetrates far better than LED generated light.
You’re gonna be happy. They can barely keep these lights stocked at my local hydro store. You’ll hear about this light more and more I predict.
Keeps us posted.
What brand and size will you get?

Check them out.
I bought the 315 for my 3x3x7 tent.
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-System-Emitting-Ceramic-Fixture/dp/B00HBCV8TM/?tag=greenrel-20

Shred, that is not entirely true, I looked at the links you posted and they are very expensive.

LEDs can be found at much more affordable prices than the big name brands, and if you do some research you can find models as inexpensive as a dollar or less per actual watt used, And these very affordable LED systems can easily match HID lights, and I’m sure for the price be very competitive to CMH/LEC.

~MacG

2 Likes

Fair enough MacG.

I paid under $500 for my 315.
For that price I’d feel comfortable putting it up against any commercial LED in that price range.

1 Like

I’d feel comfortable putting my friend’s LED system I put together for her against your system, and her system only cost about $200.

~MacG

1 Like

DIY is another category isn’t it?

I didn’t build it myself, I only helped her find the complete already made “off brand” LED unit on e-bay.

~MacG

Have you tried an LEC?

This light was far better than my Mars Hydro II 900W which draws far more watts at the plug.

This LEC gave me a better quality light, far better results, and light penetration.
I got the MH2 from eBay for $200.

Many online LEC users in other forums have had similar results as I have had with this light.
Maybe pick one up and do a comparative?

I have read into these new lights, and I’m not denying they do a really great job. I’m just saying in my opinion as of right now, they are way too expensive for the results you’ll get. But I do say the same exact thing about the super expensive name brand LED systems a well.

If you have the money and don’t mind the price, by all means use them.

~MacG

1 Like

For me the benefit would be less watts pulled at the wall and still helps increase heat. If it wasn’t for the need for heat I would give leds a try :slightly_smiling:
I could increase my house temp but keeping it low is more comfortable for us and helps offset the power bill from running the grow tents lol.

1 Like

Here is the one I am going to test out. Not top of the line or anything but good for testing. It has a normal reflector on it but I have an extra air cooled hood I can fit the light in if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/HTG-Supply-400-Watt-Complete-Included/dp/B01CKKFGNS/?tag=greenrel-20