Central heating

Hi all newbee here.
Can anyone answer a problem that maybe an issue before a start.
Central heating what are the pitfalls with keeping the temperature and humidity level fine. I live in an apartment where the landlord controls the heating during the cold months of which I have minimal control…all comments welcome, are you having same issues.
Ta longon

If it’s a centralized (shared) heating system, you’ll need a carbon filter, and the plant can NEVER leave the tent. EVER because they will smell it. (Unless they’re cool with it?)
Other options are bringing in outside air for cooling. I have no idea if you’re in a warm climate or hot.
Lowest humidity possible during flowering, veg can be pretty flexible. 50% or higher for veg, 40% or less for flowering. (Less is better)
Welcome to ILGM.

4 Likes

Not sure if your going to grow in a tent or not, but most people have more trouble in a tent with keeping heat down. Due to the lights putting off heat. I guess more info on your grow is needed. I’m new also so there will be some pro’s chiming in soon, good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for responses
Okay I’m in the UK where at mo it’s wet, windy, and cold 3-9°c not far off our summertime!!
I’m in prep for my first attempt at a small indoor tent, four or five pots nothing more. As for interest of aroused parties!! no problem within reason that is😉 my flat is top floor and have access to loft space above which is not shared but unsuitable for access easily.
Above space is very much cooler.?.!..outside air…cooler!? could be a start great! Now I just need to work out a system which works.
Thanks all for my welcome to I💓GM
Longon

1 Like

I’m of the opinion you will need something larger than mine. I have a 2x2x4 tent and it’s good for 1 plant. And depending on what lighting you get the tent should heat from the lights, you can draw in cool air to keep the temp you need with the intake of your 6" exhaust fan. A more informative person will get with you soon on here. Here is what I’m working with on my 2x2x4

4 Likes

My tent run 7 to 10 degrees hotter than what my central is set too. No biggie. I pull hot air from the top and bring cool air in the bottom

3 Likes

I now need a rethink on numbers maybe! (Photo ) I am considering a size of 4x4 to cater 5 pots, being a newbee! a little ambitious maybe?
Pulling hot air…is your system easily set up and are there any pitfalls or surprises encountered when first started!? just ruling out any dissapointments​:sob::sob:
Longon

Hi A
I am considering a size of 4x4 to cater 5 pots, being a newbee! a little ambitious maybe?
Pulling hot air…is your system easily set up and are there any pitfalls or surprises encountered when first started!? just ruling out any dissapointments​:sob::sob:
Longon

I have a carbon filter mounted in the top of my tent with a 4 inch hose ran to an inline fan. Very easy to set up and works great. If you are going as big as you say get a 6 inch filter, hose, and inline fan. It will move alot more air.

Dippy as it seems…u noted the filter mounted at top…directly through top? or through the side at top!!!:thinking: hope you get what I’m trying to explain…?
Ta longon

Welcome Logan.

Your going to want a 4x4x (instert largest height you can find here) at the smallest for 4 plants.
It’s a great start.
Amazon has tents a bit bigger that come with a 2nd compartment for starting seedlings, clones or heck grow some fresh herbs for the kitchen!

You will want a 6inch fan at the smallest, I suggest AC infinity T6 or the hurricane line. These fans are a little more but they don’t run as loud and the AC infinitys have a controller that will help alot otherwise you can get a secondary inkbird humidity and temperature controller either way you will want a controller.
This will be attached to your carbon filter that you mount inside the top of the tent to pull hot stinky stale air out. You need to vent this outside, be it through the loft or a modified window (some just put a piece of insulation Styrofoam in their window with weather stripping and vent it out a dryer vent the cut into that Styrofoam (sealed with canned spray foam)
The carbon filter sounds like it’s going to be pretty important for you since it’s not legal so make sure you read lots of reviews and get a decent one some of the cheapest ones don’t last long or just seem to have low quality performance (not sure why probably poor quality active carbon)

If you don’t vent your old air heat and humidity issues will arise, mould can happen inside your apartment and your buds, along side your starving your plants of c02.

Now if you have a really good carbon filter and you have a suction vent in your house you could vent it to that but as soon as your carbon filter fails the whole building is going to know Wich could cause some issues if your away when it happens.

1 Like

Great info @Nicky…catchup soon, time 4 bath and bed for my boy!!
Stay green
Longon :om:

For my first grow I just went with one due to space issues, but had I had more room, I still would have only done 1. Was my learning grow. The only draw back I can think of with 5 pots is each will most likely will have different needs because of genetics So will be a lot of work for a first grow, but if your up to it rock on!.

After nosing about on the forum gonna go for 3, then have plenty of room for growth lights, ballast etc… I reckon that way least amount of interference with the plants.
Longon :om:

1 Like