Centipedes, good or bad?

Hello all, ive recently noticed that my soil is home to quite the community of small centipedes (ive seen up to 4 at once !). Ive looked into it and it seems that are predators so their presence should be a good thing, however could it be seen a a bad sign of pests? I grow indoor btw.

2 Likes

Can u get pics of them?? Some might be beneficial but i would not think so with weed. Centipedes will eat green leaves and thats not good. Usually they turn into some kind of flying bug also

Are you sure they are centipedes and not millipedes? Millipedes are vegetarian but eat dead plant materials but the centipedes will eat the bad bugs. Caterpillars are much different and will eat living plants and lay eggs inside buds and stems. I would definitely get a positive ID and Google them some bugs will ruin your entire year

1 Like

Well im not sure but they have the two little fang or hairs or whatever at the rear and ive never seen them go for my plant even when they get close to it, ill try and spot one to send a pic !

2 Likes

Acutally i looked online and they also look like garden symphylans and appearantly those eat roots ! Now im getting scared for my poor little plant :frowning:

1 Like

Ok so i caught one, this is what it looks like ! Please help identify !!

1 Like

Anytime you grow outside you need to be spraying something on and around your plants to prevent insects from becoming a problem especially if you are growing any sweet/fruity strains they will attract more bugs. If you don’t want to spray so you don’t hurt the good bugs I suggest to buy some extra good bugs to help you defend your plants. Ladybugs praying mantis are pretty cheap and are very vicious hunters

1 Like

I grow inside, im researching quite a bit and i think the brown color and arrangement of the rear legs makes it more likely a centipede sinxe symphylans look mostly clear and more chubby, id like more opinions though because i dont want insects chomping my roots out !

Yeah definitely not millipede they have two pairs of legs per body section. my entire knowledge of these guys. Mili eat dead plant materials n double legs, centipedes eat bugs n single legs

Yea im pretty positive ive got myself some centipedes, im quite relieved ! however too bad i had to kill 2 of the little guys to conduct my research, i hope theres still enough in there to protect my plant !

1 Like

Centipedes 100%. I actively seek them out and put them in my grow. They’re insectavores and eat mites. They won’t harm your plants either so all good :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Not sure where you are but they’re super common in the uk

1 Like

Mighty good to hear, i hope i havent dinked the population by killing 2 then ! And im in France m8

2 Likes

I’m sure the population could take the hit :rofl::rofl::rofl:. They’re great critters to have. They roam about the place injecting venom into their prey, after paralyzing all their victims they wander about and just have a munch at their leisure :scream::rofl::rofl:.

1 Like

Sounds metal and i love it ! Glad to hear my soil has some fierce combatants in it haha

1 Like

@Gwiz those little buggers starved my plants be time i found out what the cause was it was to late so :disappointed_relieved:

horrible bug they ate the roots on my aloe plant as well no

Wsit really?! Centipedes ate your roots?! Because ive only heard that they are carnivores

1 Like

Centipedes will never turn into a flying insect. Most that I’m familiar with are carnivores

1 Like

Where I live (Oklahoma) they are fairly common. I can’t remember the species but I seen specimen that were 10+ inches and they are ferocious with large pinchers and I can personally attest that deliver a very painful bite!

1 Like