Caught on yellow traps: what is it?

Hi all.

I am near harvest time and I have had issues with the batch of plants in this tent the entire time but the buds look fantastic. Ugly leaves constantly. I have seen no signs of bugs. Nothing on the leaves. When I examine closely and no flying insects. Throughout the grow, I have noticed a dust-like appearance on the yellow sticky cards and I chalked it up to dust kicked up when the water hits the dirt. But today I looked closely with a 30x and 60x loop and the dust-like things are definitely bugs. I have no clue what they are. Can anyone help? One picture is 60x, one is 30x

Thank you!!

Hard to say for certain, so small. Look up springtails and thripsā€¦kind looks like could be either. Thrips will damage your plant and springtails are basically just a nuisance. So process of eliminationā€¦thrips for $10 Alex.

3 Likes

Thank you! I looked up springtails and it seems to be that. Especially since I have seen this type of ā€œdustā€ on the traps for quite a while during this grow but I havenā€™t seen any other types of bugs. So my logic is telling me I would have at least seen the bigger version if they were thrips. Possibly wrong though and happy for more opinions and will keep researching.

3 Likes

Thrips are tiny too. Get some Capt. Jacks Dead Bug Spray (spinosad - safe up to day of harvest)ā€¦many uses in the gardenā€¦Good luck

4 Likes

Thank you. My understanding is that if itā€™s springtails, itā€™s not actually bad though and a beneficial bug? If thripsā€¦ definitely can see the Capt jacks

Yes, you are correct. They are just an annoyance, I just donā€™t like any bugs in my grow so Iā€™d spray em anywayā€¦

1 Like

Read up on bud washing for when you harvestšŸ¤˜

7 Likes

Do you think itā€™s necessary? I was hoping to avoid bud washing, it seems harsh. Iā€™m at the plants now, inspecting and looking super close all over. I see no evidence of bugs on the plants or any activity in the soil. Iā€™m goin to put fresh sticky plants down today and see how they look.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never done it and donā€™t know if I ever will. But alot of peeps around here do and have been doing for years, so must be something to itšŸ¤”

4 Likes

I wash everytime since the first time, its not as harsh as you think. After you do it once and see all the crap that floats out, pet hair, dust, bugs, mustache hairs, nose hair, arm hair you get the point.

But of course its not required and your choice. Iā€™m a proponent.

6 Likes

choice is yoursā€¦ try a simpler way of washing, and see what you end up with inside the bucketā€¦then make up your own mindā€¦ :sunglasses: :v:

4 Likes

I will look into washing, for peace of mind and possibly just to get the experience in case I ever need it. It. They are five small plants so I could wash one of them. Maybe. I just did a really thorough inspection and I donā€™t see anything alarming. I put in 12 New yellow sticky traps and will monitor them closely. Depending on how the new sticky traps look within a couple days, that could help me make a decision

1 Like

the link @StonedCold13 put up there :point_up_2: is straight on my thread, if you have questions or comments and dont want to clog your thread, you may use mineā€¦ :sunglasses: :v:

3 Likes

Good points from @Pet_de_Chien. I would add youā€™re very lucky if theyā€™re not Thrips. I had to toss a run of 6 trying to eradicate those little :poop:. I went through 2 bottles of Jacks, soap water, and Spino. Finally gave up, they were in week 4 of flower and I needed to do some serious sanitizing for a new run. Good luck with that :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Iā€™m 99% sure itā€™s springtails and no detrimental pest issue but I decided I will do the wash! Kinda psyched. I will take pics and follow up on how it went. I watched the soil today and the plants for hours for bugs and I see nothing but this will be a cool learning experience.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a first-time newbie in did pretty well with the results with the help of everybody here.
I did two plants without washing the rest all washing I feel the washing is a little less harsh.
What I did when I washed my plants two 5 gallon buckets. 1 gallon bucket with a cup of hydroperoxide the other bucket underneath the bathtub faucet. I made sure everything would fit inside a 5 gallon bucket not too big spinning around slowly 20-30 seconds left out drain. On the clean water bucket I always have a little bit of water dripping from the faucet so itā€™s always skimming the top like a pool. On the first bucket if a lot of stuff is coming off I suggest using a sponge and skimming the top of the first bucket so youā€™re not trans planting it back on the plant when youā€™re pulling it out.
I feel what youā€™re saying scared spent many months on this project and now you want me to dunk it in water LOL Iā€™m not drowning my girlfriend. I ended up setting up my scrog and having them all hang in front of a fan cardboard underneath to absorb any water droplets and there will be. After 3-4 hours at most they all came dry like I just cut them. I got a wedryer 5 to 7 Days depending on the temperature of your house. I made Auto burping buckets but I filled them up too much be careful not to fill up too much. I feel irrigation inside the buckets not pack the hell out of it LOL I talk too much Iā€™m sorry
May everybody have an awesome Thanksgiving Iā€™ve been showing a couple of my friends and I believe two out of five are going to try what I tried through this website and I told him it is worth it it is fun even if you fail thereā€™s always next round.
Thank you everybody again I so happy with this forum and this website :turkey:

4 Likes

Awesome to hear! Before I joined this awesome community, I had never washed my buds/plants. I moved to indoor growing in my garage and tried a bud wash on my 2nd run and as @Pet_de_Chien put it, crap, nose hairs one had me rolling but true. I did notice a nicer texture and the buds dried easier :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

SOLD!!
Looks like all yā€™all did it againšŸ¤” Changed this Mules head again, looks like Iā€™ll be doing my 1st wash here in a couple weeksšŸ‘

3 Likes

Iā€™m doing it right this very minute actually! Doing a massive pre-trim and have 3 buckets set up in my bathroom. Iā€™m trimming 3/5 of the plants in the tent bc I think the other 2 need some time but I can already see how this will be nice. This seems like a pain but in the end I think it will be easier. This batch had a lot of ugly leaves that needed hardcore trimming and while I keep a super clean area, it will wipe away all my littl trimmings and save me hours later.

I know these plants are small. I had issues with these non stop and a lot of it was my neglect. Buds look and smell great amazing though. Here comes the dunk!

Also, Iā€™ll have some answers soon on if bugs washed off. Most importantly, Iā€™ll have peace of mind

1. Checking back soon! Thank you all so much! Wouldnā€™t have gone those route otherwise.
3 Likes

Right on Brother, yep Iā€™m a mule head too! Those ladies arent small up top, looks like some nice dense buds. Checking back in on the bud wash and what you thought :love_you_gesture:. Changing out nutrients in the reservoirs, ā€œFā€ upā€™d my sequence of nutrients for start of flowering. Trying MPK for the 1st 3 weeks of flower, a few folks recommended it for building fatter buds :love_you_gesture:. Digging the show on TV Brother