Caterpillars! Need help getting rid of them

How do I get rid of caterpillars? This is an outdoor grow in a fabric greenhouse with doors usually open. The bigger ones are Gold Leaf. The others are Dosidos. Everything seems good so far, but I found this today.

Here’s the setup.

1 Like

Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Juice. I use the concentrate and mix at 1.5x strength. Spray liberally in evenings or mornings, until they are gone. Then every 2 or 3 days after for maintenance. You can use Neem oil up until flower, but not recommended once flowering begins as it is absorbed into them and can result in a harsh taste or smell.

1 Like

Would you use both, or just 1? I’m still a couple of months away from flowering.

I alternate between two products: Captain Jack’s Dead Bug and Safer Caterpillar Killer. Mix in a spray bottle with distilled water (important) and douche plants thoroughly with one product. Wait 5 days then hit it with the other product. If fighting mold you can add a dilute mix of peroxide/distilled and spray between doses of bug killer.

Plan on doing a bud wash at harvest.

I hate Neem oil.

2 Likes

I’m seeing spider mites too (more than the caterpillars). does that change anything? I got Captain Jack’s and will try it when the sun goes down.

Why do you hate Neem?

I would take a garden hose and wash down plant to remove as many mites as possible. Then use the C.J.'s.

Neem oil is toxic to humans, has a bad smell and if not careful will taint flower (that’s why not to use during flower) but the other products work just fine right up to harvest.

Plan on doing a bud wash in peroxide at harvest.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s very helpful!!

1 Like

Spinosid and 3 in 1 safer brand. I also use a mix of cayenne and garlic powder water mix. Cayenne and garlic makes me cough. I can imagine what it does to them. Check out my last two posts. I’ve been fighting spider mites throughout my grow. They’ve been contained for the most part.

I finally started using greenhouse fabric bags with my outdoor plants: the only sure way to prevent mites and caterpillars.

Are they different than common nonwoven fabric bags - i.e. smart pots, vivosun etc?

I’m using fabric bags. Still got the mites. I’m using an Eagle Peak greenhouse, with the doors open for the breeze. Would it help to close it up?

Check out this wasp eating spider mites from my greenhouse grow.

1 Like

Buy some lady bugs and put them in there they sell them in large quantities 1500 at a time cheap. They’ll eat mites and aphids and any other small bugs.

I think your greenhouse is not gonna be big enough. one of those plants is too much for that small greenhouse. Outdoors those plants are gonna get way bigger than they would inside in a tent. I used one just like that once. I ended up having to build a bigger greenhouse over it and then remove the smaller one.

1 Like

As far caterpillars you want to get rid of them before your plants are flowing. I lost lbs of bud last year due to caterpillars because I wasn’t proactive enough. Captain jacks dead bug kills them but once they get deep into a cola they are hard to kill. I killed most of them by pulling open buds and searching where ever I saw dieing leaves on buds.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Valibe-Covers-Freeze-Protection-Floating/dp/B07WBX6F76/?tag=greenrel-20

1 Like