Caterpillars and spider mites - was away for a week!

I don’t know if 1 treatment equates to killed everything, as infested as ur plant was. Take it a day at a time, throughly check everyday for any survivors for several days at least, make absolutely sure they r eradicated. N the mean time see how she reacts to the onslaught of invaders, n the ensuing treatment. Note how she looks, before ur daily, r twice daily inspections, she’ll tell u if she’s unhappy. N the enemy will return if ur not vigilant n ur eradication efforts…seriously. If u start getting new growth perhaps u will b able to cut away the effected areas, idk time will tell.

3 Likes

Wow sorry to hear that brother. I just lost 1of my WQ to bud rot. I feel your pain. Spider mites and high humidity got me. Poop if it isn’t 1thing it is another.

2 Likes

See if u can find the bug shields. It’s like a big ass screened in tent so all light makes it in but bugs cannot. Sucked if have to open a zipper to enter but better than bugs being around. I believe they have like 10x10 and 20x20 setups with netted floors too

2 Likes

That happened to me last year. Ended up just cutting off what they hadn’t gotten into yet.
Was a few weeks before they were ready.
Lost a lot.
I would say save what you can and spray. Nothing to lose at this point.

2 Likes

Cut the stem below the bud rot, where it’s still green especially if you see brown dead spots on the stem

2 Likes

@Autoregulator everyone keeps talking about bud rot, do u know what it looks like n have u diagnosed that it’s present?? Here I’m thinking ur dealing with infestation damage, if u gots bud rot it’s usually fatal to the plant. Can u post some pics r something so everyone is on the same page, as for what damage was caused.

1 Like

When I first saw the damage to plants, it seemed like one or two had bud rot. Hard to tell is it was just the damage from caterpillars or what but I sprayed the shit out of them water first, then with BT one day and CJDB the next. Now I comb through them first thing every morning and I removed the really damaged parts. This is what they looked like:

Darker and dried out. What do you think?

1 Like

I’ve only had bud rot one time n it was quite awhile ago, but u could easily tell by looking, mold was present inside n out. Some buds didn’t look to b affected until I opened them up, for me like I said it was fatal n the whole plant went by, by. Looking at ur pics, “n this is just my opinion” ur leaves look good with just a few exceptions, the stems r nice n green, there is an absence of sugar leaves, n obviously the buds ur showing r depleted. So u have removed the effected damage correct? I believed u may have dodged a bullet n this is collateral damage, u were only gone a week so hopefully the damage done, is the only damage they could do n a week. Keep lookin for pests… n new growth. U just may b one lucky SOB, but continue the morning inspections. N maybe cross ur fingers for awhile. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: Time will tell, if u don’t see some improvement we will bring n some heavy hitters for added help.

1 Like

I found a couple of dreaded caterpillars on my morning inspection. What happens is I see some brown areas in bud and pull gently open with my fingers and find tiny caterpillars in there. So maybe that’s what looked like bud rot; the areas that caterpillars eat turning brown.

I’ll do another BT spray tonight!! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Sounds awful

1 Like

Make sure to get every part of the plant, I expect ur going to have to spray several more times. As bad as they looked, one spray n done usually isn’t the case. Stay the course, them tiny caterpillars probably just hatched. If that’s the case… well it ain’t good. Spray the hell out of them n cross ur fingers.

1 Like

Thanks. When I first noticed the damage upon getting home after a week, I had to completely cut 2 kolas but I did try to just cut all the damaged parts out of the others . Since then I have sprayed with BT twice and Jack’s Dead Bug once. I’m hoping the couple of little ones I got today were eggs I missed and hatched. I will spray the hell out of them tonight and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks!

@Lacewing Here’s a couple of pics I just took:

2 Likes

Looking really good !!! Guess you got rid of the pests ??

1 Like

@AAA @AlienBrew @Covertgrower @2GreenThumbs

I was able to get some detailed pics of where the dead parts of bud are. Had to chop this part and took pics

Seems like this is where the caterpillar eggs were and when they hatched maybe they ate the plant and that’s why the dry spots? I sprayed all plants thoroughly with BT again last night.

Those caterpillars wreak havoc… sorry man. I hope you kill every last one. :skull:

1 Like

Shampoo rinse repeat, as often as it takes hopefully. N yeah when they hatched they promptly started eating as soon n as much as they could. As bad as they were patience, BT n Jack’s will b paramount n success, if success is attainable. Ur plants look wonderful

1 Like