Caterpillars and spider mites - was away for a week!

OMG I went to take my daughter to college and was gone for 8 days. Caterpillars and spider mites have had a field day while I was gone. I’m in Los Angeles and after pulling them and a grasshopper or two off this morning and sacrificing 2 kolas, I decided I had to spray everything with BT. Just hoping that doing that at 8:30 am wasn’t too late in the morning. I felt like I had no choice!
Should I spray what I think are spider mites with Captain Jacks at sunset today?

3 Likes

Spray today, spray tomorrow, spray the rest of the week. Wait a few days and repeat. It’s war and CJDB is the best

4 Likes

Hose top to bottom and from underneath with Cap’n jacks ded bug after the sun is off them. Probably do every other day or every 3 days is my schedule and continue to observe and pluch them monsters. I would be hesitant to use anything else

4 Likes

@oldmarine OMG I will spray with CJDB at sunset. But I looked again and there are a lot of caterpillars and eggs.

2 Likes

I would spray as well, but I think the plant might be a total loss. Once bugs and caterpillars bore into the buds and lay eggs, they destroy the plant and cause bud rot, which I see is already started in spots.

3 Likes

I fear you may be right. I am okay sacrificing the one BUT PLEASE LET MY QUEEN LIVE! I think it’s just the one plant that has eggs and bud rot starting…

1 Like

Did the eggs look like this?

I found these and got rid of them before they hatched no idea what they were

Thought It was pollen sacs forming

1 Like

eggs looked like this:

1 Like

Holy crap that was one expensive trip, from the extent of damage n sooo many caterpillars, I believe they might have been present before ur trip. They seem to have amassed a city on ur plant while u were away. I’m having a hard time even looking at ur pics, it’s terrible, like a bad wreck with mangled people, u don’t want to look but u do, then regret it instantly. Spray, spray, spray, n pray, pray, pray. I really hope u can pull a rabbit out of ur hat, n save ur lovely lady.

2 Likes

Wow that’s insane …they are everywhere …I prob would have grabbed a tooth pick or similar and tried to manually remove as many as possible then keep up with spraying whichever product you decide …but I agree with others about insects sometimes a combination of products is the best solution
Hit them with something different each time

If you are brave take the garden hose and with as much force on whatever setting your are comfortable with …spray the hell out of those with water and see how many you get off …

Sorry man just trying to help hope you can save them that one cola is really long I’m sure there are others they look like really beautiful plants otherwise

1 Like

@AlienBrew I WILL! The only saving grace is that I have 4 plants total and my queen is not infected. All the infestation seems to be on the one plant.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely possible
I have a bunch of butterfly milkweed growing …and I will find one plant among a cluster of six that is being attacked and none of the others

1 Like

Amass ur forces if one must die to save the others so b it. Protect ur queen, n her court at all costs, draw ur line n let nothing cross. Good luck my friend u will need it for the coming assault, after u kill every motherfreaking enemy at ur door.

2 Likes

If ya abandon the grow don’t just toss, try to destroy. If you’re in CA burning might not be an option but try not to just toss that way stop them from moving on to their next conquest.
Sorry for your loss

1 Like

You can get a bug net to put over your Queen to keep the bugs off it best you can

3 Likes

So sorry :disappointed: that is just heart :purple_heart: breaking!! @Autoregulator

1 Like

Yeah sorry man…I had the same thing happen to me this year for about two 0ut of seven plants, I was not happy either!!..Going for second .late round of Autos and this time will watch closer each day for the dreaded “Cats” and keep them away from other ornamental s/ plants

2 Likes

@Covertgrower @AAA @Allinherhead @AlienBrew @Lacewing

Now that I killed everything with BT spray and then CJDB… should i cut off the “bad part” of the plant or just leave it as it and clean up at harvest time?

3 Likes

If the “bad part” is bud rot …I’m not sure it’s that simple and I’m not in the proper knowledge myself yet as to possibilities with bud rot …so I am thankful for the tag so I can learn !!

3 Likes

Spray and pick and squish. The more I think about it. Maybe it will make it. At least if it finishes up it may or may not be smokeable but, you will be able to trim off the rot and process it for qwet, feco or whatever your preferred term is. We had some mold and some rot. We trimmed away the rot and did a h202 wash and dry then declared in the oven then alcohol extract the results were awsome. So maybe not a complete loss.

3 Likes