Cat’s Runtz Grow Journal (featuring monster-cropping)

So glad you could all make it! Pull up a chair and let’s see how this goes. :eyes:

3 Likes

Got some great picture for everyone’s viewing pleasure. If you’ve never gotten a good look at this beginning of monster-cropping, then pull up a seat it’s fascinating.

Seedling Day 23
20/4 light schedule
Mars Hydro TS3000, ~36” from plant tops, 25% power

Seed-grown Runtz: getting ready to top soon. Node spacing is looking a lot better under the TS3000

This is where the fun begins …

Runtz Clones: tops, tops, and more tops! It’s truly amazing that out of the old, dying flowers, new branches are emerging. Some even have more than four tops showing already!

Grape Ape Clones: tons of tops with one looking like it’s trying to mainline itself. Another just has too many tops to count in the mess it’s growing out of. For grinder seeds turned clones, I’m pretty impressed!

8 Likes

That looks great! Ready to see your journey play out. :potted_plant::potted_plant::potted_plant::potted_plant::potted_plant::star_struck::melting_face: Good luck!

2 Likes

solo cup beast

1 Like

@Docnraq Wow, I only have 2 in my 3x3 & it feels tight to me. Can’t imagine 4 in there. May have to try 3 tho.

@CatDadPower Curious what part of world gets winter blackouts? Guessing from ice on power lines? We rarely get ice. Down south, it’s usually around Aug/Sept when we have chance of power outages in the height of hurricane season. Generators are our best friends :joy:

1 Like

Zone 8 is extremely ill equipped for snow and ice, one flake falls and everyone loses their minds. Last year power outages went for many days in some areas.

1 Like

Ha! @CatDadPower Sounds like here. They shut down the interstate & closed schools & govt offices if we get ice. Snow is a novelty so people get excited if a tiny bit sticks. I’m in 9b & usually don’t have below freezing less than a dozen times all winter. I enjoy the cold :sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

This heat is crippling for sure. I’m in the south and we are hitting 100° today and with the humidity it will feel like 109°. Y’all stay cool :sunglasses: happy growing :v::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

AZ’s monsoon season has started a scotch early. Its 100+ and about 30% humidity…which is ALOT here, and its rainy for the next cple months, cant get my tent below 65% rh this last few days, it rained most of last night, after the dust storm settled it rained anyways. Never thought id need a dehumidifier in the desert. Its 60% rh in my apt this morning, THOUGHT THIS WAS THE :desert:!

It is tight this time around, because my skill has increased. Two of my biggest plants yet in there.
I wish I could fill it with just two, not there yet though.
It feels like 5 with the tower fan I have in the corner. 6 when I had the humidifier in there during early veg.

2 Likes

Might need to invest in a gas powered generator. Regardless of growing. Its crazy you get blackouts, I have lived 15 mins from Canada in ND and we didnt have power outages from the cold. Peeps in CA seem to have rolling blackouts in the summer but I have NEVER experienced that issue in AZ and I have lived here off and on for almost 20 years.

2 Likes

Quebec had huge freezing rain storms a few years back, ice buildup on power lines causes them to come down. It’s not really the snow and cold that gets them.
Vancouver area, it snows overnight and is melted by next afternoon! Hate the rain, but don’t have to shovel it!

4 Likes

Hate the Heat but also, no shovels involved is a big plus. I dont hate the dry part, monsoon season is a miserable time of the year here. I imagine this is what florida feels like most the time. So used to it being dry even 50% humidity feels like air you can wear.

3 Likes

@Docnraq Ya, we get rain from late October to April usually…this year it lasted until last week! My outdoor ladies are NOT that bushy, looking for light, they are.

2 Likes

Im looking forward to outdoor, was gonna buy a house before the rona but things are a lil wonky still, houses are the most expensive Ive ever seen, even the crappiest of them. Ahhhh…someday…

2 Likes

Yeah, I was lucky. With Crona, work from home, so I thot with retirement looming, move outta the city and buy where I can afford, so I did! Now they was fos to go back to work, so I’m retiring! Can’t afford $100/day for gas and $20 for parking, so I’m outta there! And interest rates were low (1.59%). Houses were just starting to climb when we bought, probably made $250k in the last year on the value alone! And then we bought the corner service lot from the city for $1 and $8k in “other costs”, that should add another $200k to the value. But if you sell, you have to rebuy…so we will be here for 4 more years at least and reassess then!

If I’d waited even 4 more months, we would have been priced out of the market and been renters for life, no tent, no hobby…

3 Likes

It was 102 down here with feel like temp 108 & rh 89% It is storming but the temps & rh will stay up there till mid-late Sept. It feels like trying to breathe underwater. I spent 4 months in LV, NV & they were whining at less than 20% rh. My skin was so itchy dry, just wanted to cover myself in Vaseline! :joy:

2 Likes

Transplant: Solo to 1-Gallon

Transplanted the over achievers today into 1-gallon pots of Happy Frog. I sprinkle in about 1/8tsp of great white for the roots during every transplant. My transplant criteria are the following:

• plant is outgrowing then circumference of the pot (MUST)
  • Watering frequency after full saturation is every 72 hours or less.

I do NOT water in my cannabis plants when transplanting. There’s enough moisture in the soil already, plus it’s one more thing to stress them out after a recent transplant.

I always strive to transplant, at any stage, as LATE as possible to prevent nutrient deficiencies later down the line (right around when when the soil PPM is starting to wane). Additionally, a plant who’s root ball crumbles when you transplant it is a plant that shouldn’t be transplanted in the first place!

No weak roots here. Just bottled spring water, great white mycorrhiza, CloneX, and about 50PPM cal mag. That’s it. We keep things simple here!

6 Likes

@CatDadPower love the technique, same I use. Make a mould and they slide right in!
Don’t know why people try to fit a cylindrical root plug into an irregular shaped hole, and then try to pad around it.

2 Likes

I like things simple! I pack some decently firm soil around the original cup and slide the transplant right into its new home.

In a month or two hopefully these 1 gallons will be almost root bound as well, after which I’ll finally give them some high nute ocean forest.

1 Like