Cat’s Perpetual Grow Journal!

Tagging a couple folks who followed along last time :+1:t3:

@Fieldofdreams @Mhcnola @Flitme @Docnraq @Spudgunner @new2-420

5 Likes

Thanks for the tag @CatDadPower …saw your topic and was already lurking in the shadows!
I will say that I really like using ProMix. Inert, so it won’t burn your plants (only YOU can prevent nute burn!), and doesn’t need watering every day like coco. I can go away for a few days and still come back to living plants! Altho thinking of going hydro next winter when I have to redo my space (well, don’t have to but will be in between grows, nobody home next September!)

2 Likes

Im going FFOF and Natures living soil in my next run. Plants coming outta solo cups in a few days.

2 Likes

Thanksfor the tag, set to watch!

2 Likes

I was considering that but my concern was that both OF and the super soil concentrate would be red hot. What say you though? Because the media debate I’m having in my mind is not getting any easier hahaha.

1 Like

Ive not really had a prob with OF being too hot. The NLS is only in bottom 1/3 of pot so shouldnt be an issue by the time roots hit it. I contacyed NLS comany about using OF as base potting soil and they said shouldnt be an issue. They did say would need to give a tea, if long veg, b4 flower. Sorry bad spelling, donating plasma and typeing one handed

3 Likes

That’s extremely helpful info! I was gonna give their customer service a call to ask, but you already cleared that up for me!

2 Likes

This was planted in OF, lil tipburn but thats it

3 Likes

Here is my correspondences with them so far.

2 Likes

Quit stepping on my toes back here you!! :laughing:

5 Likes

Love it. The thing about organics scares me and my OCD is that in synthetics, everything is driven (at least for me) by hard numbers that you can easily measure and quantify (PPM, PPFD PH, etc).

That’s why I’ve been scouring the internet about this mix, since even the website is pretty broad and general about the directions of what to mix it with.

3 Likes

How do you get a Canadian to say “Sorry”?

Step on his toes! :rofl:

5 Likes

Im nervouse also. Gotta have faith in the microbe herd.

2 Likes

my vote is also for wave runners. It minimized nutrient drift. Get a couple of them. I also toss one in the bucket when mixing nutrients.

3 Likes

Glad I didn’t pull the trigger on getting stuff yet! We’re still a ways away from flower, but I definitely want to make sure my ducks are all in a row well beforehand.

2 Likes

@beardless @OGIncognito Did some more research, and the technique of aiming the wave makers up to form a small “swell” is a technique called “flooming.” From what I’ve read, this process is superior to air pumps in every way because they allow far more gas exchange to occur at the surface than bubbles.

Thank you all for the info! I think this grow it is going to teach me a lot.

4 Likes

@Docnraq

Great timing, I just got some more edification from an earlier inquiry I sent them!

3 Likes

Auto pots would be very nice. I will be going them or the self watering trays, from A.C. Infinity, as soon as is possible. Idont quite understand how they dont leave you with overwatering issues but there are quite a few people who use one or the other so im sure it comes down to technique or product design or both. I also figure using them is one of those “you gotta grow to know” experiences

4 Likes

The AC pots have a wick, so the water draws up via capillary action from the tray to the plant roots - it never really saturates the pots. It’s more like Hydroponics Lite than it is like watering plants normally. (I say this knowing that the plant roots have an opportunity to grow down into the wicks and into the water in the tray below)

The Autopot system has a valve and float system, not unlike a swamp cooler or a toilet tank. When the tray is full, it stops filling. Once the plant drinks all the water, so the float hits the bottom of the tray, it releases more water. In that respect, autopots still go through the wet/dry cycles, where the AC pot system is really like DWC for Dummies.

3 Likes

I think the overwatering issues are overcome by ensuring enough oxygen gets to the roots to allow for aerobic microbial activity.

Thats why I really want to make sure that for soil especially, I add plenty of extra aeration to the mix, do a light bottom layer of gravel for drainage in the pots, and oxygenate the reservoir with a pump or agitator. Im hoping these are enough to to prevent any of the issues some of the other fellas have warned me about. Im definitely not discounting coco for the future though.

3 Likes