Carpet beetles in my grow closet

Hi all, I just found some carpet beetles in my grow closet. I’m gonna pull everything out and clean it thoroughly, but I have a question. Should I use some neem oil mixture or dish soap mixture and spray my plant? I’m gonna hit the store and get some stuff to spray the rest of my house.

1 Like

That’s what those are huh? I found one in my tent I think it’s eating leaves???

4 Likes

Jacks dead bug kills them and it’s a safe thing to use on the plant if it’s not flowering. Pyrethrins are what the pest people recommend but Jacks is safer to use @Reb

7 Likes

Maybe some food grade diatomaceous earth made into a spray if your not in flower. I’ve heard it works pretty good like that if used lightly.

2 Likes

What damage do they do?

1 Like

I’m way into flower and getting close to harvest. :frowning:

3 Likes

The females lay about 50 eggs at a time. They will eat away at natural fabric and fibers.

6 Likes

Nothing to the plant just fabric? They can stay then. It’s only on my alien rock candy plant and no other

3 Likes

They will eat plants @Reb. They are after nectar and pollen. Several of the other grow forums talk about this, but I couldn’t find anything on them here.
They’re not good news but they’re better than thrips and mites.

6 Likes

So probably just do a wash when I chop in the next day or two and I should be alright?

4 Likes

Should be fine as wine!!

6 Likes

These critters suck. They like curtains, carpet, furniture, and clothes. DE inside of furniture, DE on carpet and vacuum, and wash any drapes or fabric you can.

I haven’t had them in my grow but I have had them in my house. I think I’ve gotten bites from them too.

1 Like

I spent about 4 hours after work pulling everything out of closets, vacuuming, spraying peppermint oil, re-vacuuming, wiping down window sills with vinegar/white solution… Pretty exhausting. I checked my grow closet an hour ago, and I didn’t see any in there. I’m hoping I was on top of things. One thing that my wife mentioned was we did get a new couch a couple weeks ago - I’m thinking that may be how we ended up with them. I’m gonna do another round of cleaning after work today (yay) and if that doesn’t work, then I’ll either set out some bombs or call a pro to come out. If we bomb the place, then I can just my plant in the garage (need to check the trichomes later today). If we have to call someone, I guess it’ll go in the shed for a couple hours.

1 Like

I’ve had a bunch of success with DE and it’s safe for people/pets. Messy, but very effective. Those bugs are outdoors everywhere here, all it takes is for one to get carried inside with you. Good Luck with the War!

1 Like

I’ll check and see if I can find any in town. Do you just sprinkle around openings, or just pretty much everywhere?

1 Like

I sprinkle it on everything and vacuum. On the carpet I’ll let it sit for a couple hours and follow up with a vacuum and sometimes will then shampoo. They have to come in contact with the powder. It’s like razor blades for critters.

I also like to cover the floors of grow areas with it as a preventative measure.

Some of the smaller bottles you can squeeze and it will “dust” the area. But the small bottles usually cost more for what you are getting. Kills most bugs!

This is the one I use I believe but I found mine locally

I just sprinkle this everywhere when I need it. But a duster will get you a better spread and even coverage, while using less.

Here’s an example of a duster

4 Likes

I have had good luck with organishield.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Tractor Supply right near me has this:

That’s the same stuff, right? (even though it’s a very large bag)

2 Likes

Yes, and it should last you forever. That’s actually what I would get, didn’t know they carried it! We have one nearby also.

If you do any outdoor gardening it’s good on dry days out there too.

2 Likes