Carbon filter in grow tent

I’ve read some reviews on carbon filters prematurely clogging up. I wanted to run my ventilation system through the vegetation stage without the filter so I don’t unnecessarily use my filter life before the flowering stage when it’s really needed. Will this be ok or should I run it through every stage? Set up is in 4x2x6 tent.

You only need it if you can smell your plants. No smell, no need.

2 Likes

Like @BobbyDigital said… no smell, no need for filter… although, I will be proactively turning mine on well before there can be an odor because I’ll be IN the environment and might not notice it as soon as a “fresh” nose might…

As for prematurely clogging, my reading indicates that this happens mostly when either 1) flow is reversed through filter (inside to outside) where the entry surface area is much less and it is hard to pre-filter the air with a “sock”, and 2) folks running the air from outside to inside BUT not running a quality pre-filter sock around the filter and/or failing to keep it clean.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, just wanted some confirmation. Thanks

2 Likes

My system is in the tent. So I will be pulling the air through the filter and pushing it out. I have seen the filter socks in pics on forums but haven’t read much yet into there importance. I will definitely get on it. Thanks again!

1 Like

The prefilters do add varying amounts of flow restriction based on the material and construction, BUT the benefits in filter longevity generally outweigh the potential flow reduction.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan the filter sock is to catch the dust. I usually about halfway in pull wash dryer and put back on.

2 Likes