Capt Jacks Neem oil or Dead bug for flying critters?

About to run into town and chain store has both in stock. Will either work or is one better for this? The neem listed more flying bugs (front cover) than the dead bug I’ve killed a couple outside of tent in lung room, and noticed 1 inside yesterday during watering. I dont think they have yellow stickies in stock, but they have a stick and i have some old nasty fly traps you pull apart and hang that’ll ill use until amazon shows up with the other. Any advice is greatly appreciated

It would depend on what pest and if flowering or not as to which one to get.
Neem leaves a nasty taste if used in flower.
Spinosad (KJDB) can be used up till harvest.
Recommend a bud wash after harvest.
:v:

4 Likes

@NCStealthGrowr have you considered a bug zapper? For those pigs on the wing works wonders and provides some UV light for your girls. Also outside of the tent works even better at night.

Was planning on changing light cycle in a week or so, but still vegging. So either should be ok? I’m assuming a fungus gnat

1 Like

If it is, then the fix is top-dress diatomaceous earth (food grade) and reduce watering.

I hate Neem oil and will never use it. Captain Jack’s or Safer Caterpillar killer along with a bud wash in peroxide at harvest will fix you up and not damage flower.

6 Likes

I ended going with dead bug. Will this stuff kill the fungus gnats? If kept applied for the next few weeks, will it eventually break their cycle?

got stickies and diatomaceous earth otw from amazon as well

2 Likes

Fungus gnats indicate overwatering FYI. Best to allow medium to dry out almost to the point of wilting before watering again. Unless you are in coco which needs to remain damp to wet.

2 Likes

I have only used Jacks dead bug, only because you can use it through grow.

1 Like

Im in Coast of Maine Stonington. It has coco in it, so do i treat it as coco? I was originally waiting 3 days to water, but they seem to like 2 days better. The top is dry when i water and bags are significantly lighter. I wish i wouldve added some perlite in before getting started, but just straight CoM until next grow. Im not dealing with an infestation by the way and im not even 100% sure it came from inside of grow tent. I live beside a horse pasture and a pond across the street. Bugs are horrible. When i lst/prune/whatever i typically bring out of tent and set on a sterilized table to save my back. The tent stays open. I’ve seen one in the tent and maybe 3 out of tent in the room.

I’d treat as soil not coco. Sounds like outside influence contributing to your bugs. CJ’s or Safer should do you fine.

2 Likes

is the peroxide wash necessary if i dont apply during flower? The thought of soaking buds in anything doesn’t sound pleasant. I was actually thinking of holding off on the spray for now, using the diatomaceous earth and stickies and monitor. Or would you recommend i use dead bug now along side the others since i plan to flip lights to flower next week?

This.

The bud wash is totally benign and helps (IMO) during cure. Cured flower lasts longer too before turning brown. I bud wash everything just because I guarantee plant is covered in hair and skin cells and other environmental crap you don’t really want to smoke.

4 Likes

Thank you so much. 1st grow and appears I have this issue. MAN do I love this site and all the wisdom here. Again thank you all for the knowledge you ppl. share.

3 Likes

If they’re fungus gnats their larvae live in the soil. I use Mosquito bits I soak a bunchin water and water with it and I put some bits directly in the soil. Kills fungus gnats larvae but you need to use some sticky traps and some Captain jacks dead bug to kill the adults. You have to kill both or you’ll never get rid of them.

1 Like

@NCStealthGrowr @pipsqueak

Great stuff to have in your biological control toolbox, the active ingredient is BTI, Bacillus Thuringiensis var. Israelensis it’s a bacille in the same family, a variant in fact, as the active ingredient of Safer and CJ’s ; BTK, Bacillus Thuringiensis var. Kurstaki .

They modus operandi are similar, the bacille will form a crystal in the gut of the targeted pest and these crystals will block their digestive system and they eventually will starved to death.

~Al :vulcan_salute::frog::innocent:

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 by luck or chance i was able to catch one in mid-air outside of tent and not completely smash it.

Today will be time to water again, so i’ll be handling/inspecting each plant much better. I still think theyre coming from outside environment, but if these flying turds are coming from tent, where will i likely find them hanging out?

Reading about the diatomaceous earth, it needs to go undisturbed for a few days to effectively work as a pesticide. Will i be ok to shake on top of soil after i water, or do i need to let top of soil dry for a few, then treat?

1 Like

It’s indeed fungus gnat.
@NCStealthGrowr All depends on the health and degree of infestation of your soil and plantules health.

Wait until the first inch or so dries up is your soil and plantules are unhealthy. Right away if they are.

In hope this information will help you.

~Al :vulcan_salute::frog::innocent:

2 Likes